How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

What happens if your bid is accepted but you are not happy with the cabin location. I would like to bid on a balcony, but I am afraid to be put into a forward cabin. Would they allow a cabin change?

29 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

apparently not....you get what they give you. Having said that, we always go for forward cabins and its never been an issue.

You may be able to do a cabin change IF there is an available cabin in the same category. However, by the time the bid is accepted, there is a good chance their will be no available midship cabins in the same category. You are better off not bidding unless you would be satisfied with any cabin in the new category.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were sent a counter offer for Caribbean Princess 7/12 cruise. Said they couldn't accept our bid for a reserve mini suite but offered us a Penthouse for the same price.  I immediately accepted and thought it was a done deal. However, today I received a stateroom number and it's a regular mini suite, we did a guarantee. Looked at my bids and the Penthouse that they counter offered me still says pending but I can't change the bid at all? Has anyone had this happen? Wonder why I can't up my bid? Ship is sold out and I still have the counter offer bid showing pending,  along with two others showing pending.  I don't know what to think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, llgator said:

We were sent a counter offer for Caribbean Princess 7/12 cruise. Said they couldn't accept our bid for a reserve mini suite but offered us a Penthouse for the same price.  I immediately accepted and thought it was a done deal. However, today I received a stateroom number and it's a regular mini suite, we did a guarantee. Looked at my bids and the Penthouse that they counter offered me still says pending but I can't change the bid at all? Has anyone had this happen? Wonder why I can't up my bid? Ship is sold out and I still have the counter offer bid showing pending,  along with two others showing pending.  I don't know what to think.

Yes, this happened to me.  I had a forward-facing mini-suite reserved for our March 15-day Hawaii cruise on the Discovery.  I bid the highest bid possible for a forward-facing Reserve Collection cabin, knowing full well I likely would not get it since there are only four cabins in this category.  About a week before sailing, I too received a counter offer for a bid on a Window Suite for only $100 pp.  This was a great deal and I originally was not able to bid on a Window suite (there are only two of these and they are large, forward-facing corner suites with large windows rather than a balcony), but could bid on all other suites, which I wasn't interested in.  The counter offer made it sound like it was essentially a done deal if I accepted it.  I immediately accepted the counteroffer. Both my old bid, and this new counteroffer bid, went into pending as well without the ability to change the offers.  The day before sailing, I got an email saying that both bids had been denied.  I was discouraged at this point, even though I originally went into the bidding process feeling like my chances were slim, but the counter-offer raised my hope too high based upon how it was worded.  I will likely never bid again, for I don't like the anxiety caused by the unknown.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2024 at 7:33 AM, NavyVeteran said:

You may be able to do a cabin change IF there is an available cabin in the same category. However, by the time the bid is accepted, there is a good chance their will be no available midship cabins in the same category. You are better off not bidding unless you would be satisfied with any cabin in the new category.

I recently had my bid from a GTY deluxe balcony (no cabin assignment at the time bid was accepted) to an MB mini-suite on Deck 14 (Riviera) for the August 10 Enchated sailing. It was just over two months out. The next day, I did a live chat through the Princess website asking if I could be moved to a specific MA mini-suite on Deck 10 (Caribe)... one with an angled balcony that was still showing as available when doing a mock booking. The rep in the chat wasn't able to make the change for me, but was able to submit the request on my behalf. Within an hour or two, I checked my booking online and my room had been updated to my requested cabin. So I went from a GTY deluxe balcony to an MB with my bid and then was able to have that changed to an MA by requesting through the live chat.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

Yes, this happened to me.  I had a forward-facing mini-suite reserved for our March 15-day Hawaii cruise on the Discovery.  I bid the highest bid possible for a forward-facing Reserve Collection cabin, knowing full well I likely would not get it since there are only four cabins in this category.  About a week before sailing, I too received a counter offer for a bid on a Window Suite for only $100 pp.  This was a great deal and I originally was not able to bid on a Window suite (there are only two of these and they are large, forward-facing corner suites with large windows rather than a balcony), but could bid on all other suites, which I wasn't interested in.  The counter offer made it sound like it was essentially a done deal if I accepted it.  I immediately accepted the counteroffer. Both my old bid, and this new counteroffer bid, went into pending as well without the ability to change the offers.  The day before sailing, I got an email saying that both bids had been denied.  I was discouraged at this point, even though I originally went into the bidding process feeling like my chances were slim, but the counter-offer raised my hope too high based upon how it was worded.  I will likely never bid again, for I don't like the anxiety caused by the unknown.

Yes. They certainly made the counter offer seem as if it was a done deal. I was just waiting on my cabin number, which unfortunately wasn't an upgrade

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, llgator said:

Yes. They certainly made the counter offer seem as if it was a done deal. I was just waiting on my cabin number, which unfortunately wasn't an upgrade

It sounds like this has happened to quite a few people from reports here. They need to fine tune the process for counter offers obviously. When you go in to accept it should be able to give you an automatic yes or no depending if it’s still available or not.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

When I look at my offer, it says “bid submitted” but nowhere does it say pending?  For a while, when I  logged in it would actually say if I was in the lead or if I had been outbid?   Now it simply says bid submitted with nothing further indicated,  It has been this way for days.  I have placed an offer that it says is extremely strong. Anyone know why it doesn’t at least say pending?