How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

19 hours ago, rheathslc said:

We just got notified that we won our bid to upgrade from Mini-suite to Club Class Mini-suite for our cruise on the Discovery on March 31st - so 13 days out.

I bid the highest amount of $80pp, but was not hopeful we would get anything because the cruise showed sold out. 

Sooooo excited! Club Class dining is a huge advantage imo. Plus we were on Emerald deck with a totally uncovered balcony and walls that jut into the room on both sides between the sleeping area and sitting room area. Now we're on Riviera with a totally covered and slightly larger balcony plus no pesky walls taking up space. 

Yay!!!

Congratulations!

• Like 1

We did not bid for an upgrade on our recent Sky cruise previously booking a deluxe balcony guarantee because it was cheaper then choosing a regular balcony. I figured we couldn't lose. We waited and waited receiving our cabin only 60 hours before sailing but the wait was worth it as we got a great premium deluxe balcony. This was a savings of more then $400 for us from original booking time. 

Very glad we didn't bid.

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 2

We recently booked a GTY Mini Suite for a 7 day sailing in early May and shortly thereafter we received an invitation to bid on upgrades.  We submitted them for both a Club Class Mini Suite and a Vista Suite.  As of today we haven’t been notified of a cabin assignment, but I just received notification that our bid for the Club Class Mini Suite was unsuccessful.  Still no cabin assignment, but does anyone have an idea whether it’s a hopeful sign that we didn’t receive a “You’ve Been Outbid” email regarding the Vista Suite?  I realize we’re still more than 30 days out so there’s still plenty of time . . . Just curious to see where we’ll end up!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jwb3843 said:

We recently booked a GTY Mini Suite for a 7 day sailing in early May and shortly thereafter we received an invitation to bid on upgrades.  We submitted them for both a Club Class Mini Suite and a Vista Suite.  As of today we haven’t been notified of a cabin assignment, but I just received notification that our bid for the Club Class Mini Suite was unsuccessful.  Still no cabin assignment, but does anyone have an idea whether it’s a hopeful sign that we didn’t receive a “You’ve Been Outbid” email regarding the Vista Suite?  I realize we’re still more than 30 days out so there’s still plenty of time . . . Just curious to see where we’ll end up!

Nope it means nothing. Don't read into it. 

2 minutes ago, jwb3843 said:

@1cruiselvr  🫤 But thank you for your 

Most suites are booked, especially the lower Vista class suite. I bidded on an Owners suite. Didn't hear anything until the day b4 the cruise. Then I got a declined email but I knew my chances were slim. You never know, but don't assume anything just bc you haven't been declined yet. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 6:56 PM, 1cruiselvr said:

Most suites are booked, especially the lower Vista class suite. I bidded on an Owners suite. Didn't hear anything until the day b4 the cruise. Then I got a declined email but I knew my chances were slim. You never know, but don't assume anything just bc you haven't been declined yet. Good luck!

Interesting. I have a bid to go from a balcony to a Mini Suite, on the Discovery Princess. It’s a sold out cruise, but my agent says Princess holds some staterooms back. My cruise is April 3rd, a 10 day Solar Eclipse cruise, so we’ll see what happens. I’m aware that I may hear something 1 or 2 days before the cruise. I’m at San Pedro 1 day before the cruise so if necessary I can print out new luggage tags at the hotel. Since I’ve never had a Mini Suite, fingers crossed 🤞

Tom

2 hours ago, trbarton said:

Interesting. I have a bid to go from a balcony to a Mini Suite, on the Discovery Princess. It’s a sold out cruise, but my agent says Princess holds some staterooms back. My cruise is April 3rd, a 10 day Solar Eclipse cruise, so we’ll see what happens. I’m aware that I may hear something 1 or 2 days before the cruise. I’m at San Pedro 1 day before the cruise so if necessary I can print out new luggage tags at the hotel. Since I’ve never had a Mini Suite, fingers crossed 🤞

Tom

How much are you bidding for the mini suite? 

this may have already been answered so apologies in advance, but has everyone that has or hasnt been upgraded for a past cruise been notified one way or the other?  Its not going to break my heart if we dont get upgraded, but i would like to know.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, 20165 said:

this may have already been answered so apologies in advance, but has everyone that has or hasnt been upgraded for a past cruise been notified one way or the other?  Its not going to break my heart if we dont get upgraded, but i would like to know.

Thanks

We did not get upgraded on our last cruise and they did not let us know until literally the day before sailing.

Just notified my bid for a deluxe balcony was accepted. They automatically charged my card. The ship leaves 4/27 for 22 days. I bid-in the “good” range on the dial.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We bid on an upgrade from a BA Balcony cabin to a Mini-suite for our upcoming world cruise on Coral Princess, out of Sydney. We bid at about two fifths of the difference between the balcony cabin and current price of the cheapest, still available, mini-suite category at the time, which was essentially a fairly low bid but a decent amount above the starting bid price. 

Four days ago we got the "You have been out-bid" email offering us a chance to increase our bid. Nope, our original bid is all we can afford.

Today we received another email saying our bid had been accepted. We have a mid-aft MB mini-suite for 110 days! We are so excited!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Pops37
2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We bid on an upgrade from a BA Balcony cabin to a Mini-suite for our upcoming world cruise on Coral Princess, out of Sydney. We bid at about two fifths of the difference between the balcony cabin and current price of the cheapest, still available, mini-suite category at the time, which was essentially a fairly low bid but a decent amount above the starting bid price. 

Four days ago we got the "You have been out-bid" email offering us a chance to increase our bid. Nope, our original bid is all we can afford.

Today we received another email saying our bid had been accepted. We have a mid-aft MB mini-suite for 110 days! We are so excited!

Congratulations, 🎉

45 minutes ago, Shone216 said:

We’ve just been notified of a successful bid for 27/4 sailing. Reserve Cabana Mini Suite to Owners Suite ….delighted

Wonderful! Enjoy!

From Reserve Cabana Mini-suite. Does that mean you're on the Sun? Those owners suites look incredible!

Questions about the "you have been outbid"

I have not seen this before, except on CC, and it threw me for a loop. I bid from a Balcony to a Premium Suite, although I didn't hold much hope because that category has not been showing as available for a month and only 1 Vista Suite has been showing, so I assumed bidders in higher categories had no place to go. 

I played the bidding game for a few minutes and eventually gave up, realizing that I may be bidding against no one for a category that wont even be available. 

However, I saw on here what I THINK was someone saying that after they received a "you have been outbid" notice they did not do anything, and miraculously their original bid WAS eventually accepted?? What voodoo is this??  

40 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

Wonderful! Enjoy!

From Reserve Cabana Mini-suite. Does that mean you're on the Sun? Those owners suites look incredible!

Yes sorry to mention the ship…sailing on Sun 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mwolever said:

However, I saw on here what I THINK was someone saying that after they received a "you have been outbid" notice they did not do anything, and miraculously their original bid WAS eventually accepted?? What voodoo is this??  

I too thought that was pretty strange. And seems a little dishonest and sketchy to me.

But I get that this whole system is in place so that Princess maximizes their revenue. Maybe they resort to psychological tricks like this to squeeze every last cent out of the system but in this case it didn't work so they just took what they could get.

We also know almost nothing about what goes on behind the curtain. Maybe it was just a coincidence and another cabin became available so they accepted the bid in addition to the higher bid.

Who really knows? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

We have bid twice and were wildly successful once, scoring an aft balcony for Sky Princess through the Norwegian fjords the day before it sailed.  We only bid $200pp.  When we arrived, the couple next to us it was their sister who was supposed to have the cabin—she had gotten COVID the day before.  I guess we were first on the list?  

I have bids in now for upgrades for our world cruise on Coral out of Auckland.  We’re in an interior so I’m pretty sure I’d be happy with anything.  Though, in the be careful what you wish for department, we WILL be on the ship for 110 days.  But, gee, a balcony would be nice and the low bid is $2K.  We shall see.  

• Like 4

On 3/26/2024 at 7:54 AM, JeffM1 said:

We did not get upgraded on our last cruise and they did not let us know until literally the day before sailing.

it was last year, so maybe it's working smoother by now, but I had high hopes when our room in our reservation went blank 48 hours beforehand (but no email either way).   We got to the port ... and had our booked room.  It was a long shot as we booked last minute and therefore had only interior to choose from.   I hope they are better at managing expectations and do send out the 'you have lost' emails.