Kudos to Viking Air & Advise From Others

SM77

Newbie question:  This is our first cruise with Viking Ocean.  Our cruise in this December.  We are supposed to get our itinerary today, but so far there is nothing on MVJ.  Once we get the info, if we want to make changes, do we have to use Air Plus to do that?  The info on MVJ seems to indicate that we can do it all online there without the extra fee.

When we find flights that work for us it sounds like we should get ticketed right away - correct?  And what happens if we have to cancel the cruise?  Am I correct that any extra fees for flight adjustments (current promo is "free" air) should be covered by our travel insurance?

Any other hints would be appreciated.   Thanks.  

1 hour ago, vegasjandk said:

Newbie question:  This is our first cruise with Viking Ocean.  Our cruise in this December.  We are supposed to get our itinerary today, but so far there is nothing on MVJ.  Once we get the info, if we want to make changes, do we have to use Air Plus to do that?  The info on MVJ seems to indicate that we can do it all online there without the extra fee.

When we find flights that work for us it sounds like we should get ticketed right away - correct?  And what happens if we have to cancel the cruise?  Am I correct that any extra fees for flight adjustments (current promo is "free" air) should be covered by our travel insurance?

Any other hints would be appreciated.   Thanks.  

If you have flights included with a trip in December you definitely should see flights in MVJ at this point.  I would call to inquire.  The worst that will happen is that they will charge you the airplus fee.  If the flights show up in MVJ and you want to change them, apparently there will not be a fee for air plus if you make the changes yourself on the app but I have not tried this feature.  There are only so many included airlines and flights and you may not see the ones you want.  

16 hours ago, shadowlover said:

If you have flights included with a trip in December you definitely should see flights in MVJ at this point.  I would call to inquire.  The worst that will happen is that they will charge you the airplus fee.  If the flights show up in MVJ and you want to change them, apparently there will not be a fee for air plus if you make the changes yourself on the app but I have not tried this feature.  There are only so many included airlines and flights and you may not see the ones you want.  

Thanks.  I will call them.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 4:26 PM, FetaCheese said:

Update: yesterday morning, still no flights on MVJ.  Checked back later in day, entire booking missing, account was locked.

Called Air Plus, wanted a manager. Rep had me try dif browser, clear cache, close browser, login again. All wasted time, still could not find my booking.  

Again, asked for mgr. Rep tried to find available mgr.  No go.  Rep put me on hold to consult with supervisor.  Came back and said should be fixed in 24-48 hours, and I would receive a call from V.

Looked this a.m.  Booking is back, but still no flights.  Rep sent me flight itin to reassure me that I still had them.

Also received another email inv. pkg.

(I sign out of MVJ each time, in case that would matter).

Just logged in now.  Still no flight info.

Forgot to mention, on 2nd call, rep admitted they had some problems with MVJ.

Hi Feta: Curious if Viking fixed your MVJ problem and if you asked for the e-tickets? Hope all is well.

Our MVJ is fine.

15 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Hi Feta: Curious if Viking fixed your MVJ problem and if you asked for the e-tickets? Hope all is well.

Our MVJ is fine.

Thanks for well wishes, and encouragement.

No, not fixed as of right now.

Called again yesterday, rep from customer service said there is a big update in progress on MVJ, and many pax calling in re: problems.  Said should be all done by Monday.

Didn't ask for ticketing, as I think this will compound the issue.  Rep said V would not change any flights, but Airlines can make changes, before or after ticketing.

In MVJ (Mobile), noticed on 3 bar menu drop-down, items added at bottom:. Booking summary with map, and links to other parts of MVJ, also a quick start guide.

Edited by FetaCheese

49 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Thanks for well wishes, and encouragement.

No, not fixed as of right now.

Called again yesterday, rep from customer service said there is a big update in progress on MVJ, and many pax calling in re: problems.  Said should be all done by Monday.

Didn't ask for ticketing, as I think this will compound the issue.  Rep said V would not change any flights, but Airlines can make changes, before or after ticketing.

In MVJ (Mobile), noticed on 3 bar menu drop-down, items added at bottom:. Booking summary with map, and links to other parts of MVJ, also a quick start guide.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all works out well for you. Let us know. I wonder if this "big update" on MJV will affect our ability to make reservations for excursions and specialty restaurants, (9/17 and 9/24 respectively for us).  I've read that pax on recent voyages have had problems with that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all works out well for you. Let us know. I wonder if this "big update" on MJV will affect our ability to make reservations for excursions and specialty restaurants, (9/17 and 9/24 respectively for us).  I've read that pax on recent voyages have had problems with that.

Hope not.  Have printed all incl shorex w/all times--so ready to book.

Not worried about dining, as many have said, one can get res onboard.  Like to see what's on offer in Rest. ea. day before deciding.  On upcoming cruise, a longer one, should have no problem getting res., especially if you like to dine later.

Will be celebrating 2 big milestones onboard--so will want Manfredi's for both. The steak is really a fine choice--enjoyed it twice last cruise.  Had dinner there 3 times !

On this cruise will want to check out WC each night, as so many pax have said it is often better than Rest.

18 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Hope not.  Have printed all incl shorex w/all times--so ready to book.

Not worried about dining, as many have said, one can get res onboard.  Like to see what's on offer in Rest. ea. day before deciding.  On upcoming cruise, a longer one, should have no problem getting res., especially if you like to dine later.

Will be celebrating 2 big milestones onboard--so will want Manfredi's for both. The steak is really a fine choice--enjoyed it twice last cruise.  Had dinner there 3 times !

On this cruise will want to check out WC each night, as so many pax have said it is often better than Rest.

I've read that many prefer the World Cafe (buffet) to the main Restaurant. Is that your experience on your last cruise on Viking?

19 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

I've read that many prefer the World Cafe (buffet) to the main Restaurant. Is that your experience on your last cruise on Viking?

Can't remember if we ever went to WC for dinner, maybe once.  Really wanted to be served.

Had breakfast there a couple times, thought Rest. was far better.  Had lunch in WC all the time, because of port intensive itin., Rest was closed for lunch.  Only had 1 sea day, and Rest. still closed for lunch.  Best lunch was the Greek Buffet in WC.

If your interested, Garry from last World Cruise had a daily blog, linked from CC.  Search "Live from Viking Star World Cruise" or something like that.  They really loved WC for most meals.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Can't remember if we ever went to WC for dinner, maybe once.  Really wanted to be served.

Had breakfast there a couple times, thought Rest. was far better.  Had lunch in WC all the time, because of port intensive itin., Rest was closed for lunch.  Only had 1 sea day, and Rest. still closed for lunch.  Best lunch was the Greek Buffet in WC.

If your interested, Garry from last World Cruise had a daily blog, linked from CC.  Search "Live from Viking Star World Cruise" or something like that.  They really loved WC for most meals.

Sorry, off topic.  Will move to Roll call.

9 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

Our flights finally showed up on MVJ - 2 days later than we expected.  I was about to call Viking Air Plus, when I checked MVJ and found the info.  We were able to make the changes we wanted, so are pleased so far.  

We also wanted to upgrade, but Viking Air showed no upgrades available on our specific flights.  Does anyone know if we can do this through the airline?  Plan to give that a try.

1 hour ago, vegasjandk said:

We also wanted to upgrade, but Viking Air showed no upgrades available on our specific flights.  Does anyone know if we can do this through the airline?  Plan to give that a try.

It completely depends on the fare rules for the ticket you have.  Some fares specifically prohibit upgrades, some allow cash upgrades, some allow mileage upgrades, some allow both.  But without knowing the exact fare rules for your ticket, no definitive answer can be given.

One general rule of thumb:  Bulk fare tickets sold by a cruiseline are often burdened by significantly restricted fare rules, compared to the published fare tickets you would buy from an airline directly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

It completely depends on the fare rules for the ticket you have.  Some fares specifically prohibit upgrades, some allow cash upgrades, some allow mileage upgrades, some allow both.  But without knowing the exact fare rules for your ticket, no definitive answer can be given.

One general rule of thumb:  Bulk fare tickets sold by a cruiseline are often burdened by significantly restricted fare rules, compared to the published fare tickets you would buy from an airline directly.

Thanks for that info.  Will check with the airline.

So, I am booked on Saturn from Bergen to Reykjavik in July 2023, with included air.  Final payment due at the end of next month.  Imagine my surprise when I logged in to my United account today and saw that Viking had already booked my round trip air.  No notification of this from Viking, and it doesn’t show up on MVJ.   The flights are actually fine, except I’d like to come in a few days early and leave a few days after the cruise, which means a deviation.  Should I try to call Viking Air now to let them know we’d like to purchase a deviation?  I guess we could hold off on Air+ until we know what they book for us once we have the deviation dates booked.  Advice?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, mom0f3 said:

So, I am booked on Saturn from Bergen to Reykjavik in July 2023, with included air.  Final payment due at the end of next month.  Imagine my surprise when I logged in to my United account today and saw that Viking had already booked my round trip air.  No notification of this from Viking, and it doesn’t show up on MVJ.   The flights are actually fine, except I’d like to come in a few days early and leave a few days after the cruise, which means a deviation.  Should I try to call Viking Air now to let them know we’d like to purchase a deviation?  I guess we could hold off on Air+ until we know what they book for us once we have the deviation dates booked.  Advice?  Thanks!

Try to make the changes yourself on my viking journey.   You're not ticketed yet so you can make changes.  If it is not showing up on MVJ then you need to call to make the changes and will have to pay the fee.  Unfortunately just by calling you will be charge the air plus fee... you will also pay the deviation fee by coming and leaving at different times.  That's crazy that your flights are available to see this soon!  We noticed the same thing on our united app months prior to our trip this December but had already paid the fees so just called to make the changes.  We then waited a few months before we had them ticket the flights in case we changed our mind on the dates.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 9:21 PM, FlyerTalker said:

As we prefer to upgrade on longer flights, I worry about this very thing and in looking at Viking cruise fares with "free international airfare", wonder if it's even worth it.   I would pay for Air+ in order to book my preferred airline but would that also include the ability to upgrade or is it a roll of the dice?

And if we decide to book our own flights, choosing to opt out of Viking's "free airfare" altogether, will we be given a set amount of onboard credit in its place?

2 minutes ago, cadburysmom said:

As we prefer to upgrade on longer flights, I worry about this very thing and in looking at Viking cruise fares with "free international airfare", wonder if it's even worth it.   I would pay for Air+ in order to book my preferred airline but would that also include the ability to upgrade or is it a roll of the dice?

And if we decide to book our own flights, choosing to opt out of Viking's "free airfare" altogether, will we be given a set amount of onboard credit in its place?

If flights are included and you elect to procure your own flights, Viking do not normally provide any credit for the cost of the flights not taken. Also, with free flights, if you upgrade to Business Class, you will normally pay the entire cost of the business flight, not the difference.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

If flights are included and you elect to procure your own flights, Viking do not normally provide any credit for the cost of the flights not taken. Also, with free flights, if you upgrade to Business Class, you will normally pay the entire cost of the business flight, not the difference.

Exactly what I needed to know.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Also, with free flights, if you upgrade to Business Class, you will normally pay the entire cost of the business flight, not the difference.

When we recently canceled and rebooked a cruise next year (Bergen to Reykjavik) because free air was offered, Viking Air had tiers of free for economy, $1100 pp for premium economy, & $3400 pp for business class—no airlines designated as yet. Last month when we rebooked,  airfares for premium economy were substantially more if we booked on our own. We haven’t decided what to do yet—but the Viking offer might be worth it, depending on the routing they can get for us.