Orange selections on MDR menus

mollie jo

From a recent cruise on Oosterdam, I don't recall items in orange color on the MDR menu, but I may just not have noticed.  If there were, I don't think they have anything to do with Club Orange.  Club Orange guests get a different menu than other guests.  It is in a white book, whereas the normal menu is in a dark gray book.  The interesting thing is that it doesn't actually tell you what the Club Orange entree is; it just says ask your server for tonight's Club Orange entree. 

On our cruise, we got the Club Orange entree maybe twice.  Most of the time there were other normal entrees that sounded more interesting, at least to us.

1 hour ago, mollie jo said:

First time on Holland America and perusing the menus.  Are the items listed in orange only available for Club Orange passengers?

Are you by chance in a Neptune Suite, in which case you would have been given the Club Orange selections?  I don't know what the post-Covid menu practice is, but pre-Covid there was a separate menu for use by both Club Orange and Neptune passengers.  I never found that the additional items were particularly enticing.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Club Orange and Neptune passengers are SUPPOSED to get a different menu, but this does not always happen in the MDR - we had to ask about half the time.

I found that to be on our last 2 cruises this year...MDR waiters didn't seem to know.  Frequently the entree that was offered was not that great.  We were in a Neptune on the Koningsdam Hawaii and Westerdam Alaska.

Thanks for posting a link to the actual menu.  Just to be clear, there are several things in orange type on the menu.  It is only the one under the heading "Club Orange Daily Special" that is for Club Orange guests.  The ones in orange titled Pacific Northwest Starter and Pacific Northwest Main, anyone can order those.

I presume, but don't know for sure, that only people who had Club Orange would get this menu, rather than everyone, and that one Club Orange Daily Special would not even be on everyone else's menu.

12 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Thanks for posting a link to the actual menu.  Just to be clear, there are several things in orange type on the menu.  It is only the one under the heading "Club Orange Daily Special" that is for Club Orange guests.  The ones in orange titled Pacific Northwest Starter and Pacific Northwest Main, anyone can order those.

I presume, but don't know for sure, that only people who had Club Orange would get this menu, rather than everyone, and that one Club Orange Daily Special would not even be on everyone else's menu.

You are correct.  Only the designated Club Orange entree is restricted to Club Orange.  Rather than scan the MDR menus, I downloaded them each day as soon as they appeared on my Navigator app.

Just for clarification, all ships in the same season/location/duration have the same menus.  All 7-Day Alaskan cruises in 2022 have the same daily menus.  If you are planning a cruise and can locate the menus posted by a previous traveler, you will know exactly (maybe a few tweaks due to supply issues) what is available.

I will be posting the Caribbean 7-Day 2022/2023 season menus in December.  Note that 14-Day cruises merely repeat the 7-Day menus with few tweaks.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, funntheson said:

So, can you order the Club Orange additional selection if you dine in the main dining room versus CO on Pinnacle class ships?

If you are a Club Orange member you can order the Club Orange special entree in both the MDR and Club Orange.