Port Canaveral- Orlando(MCO) vs Melbourne (MLB airport)

sherezada

We are a family of 4 booked on the Wonder, December 24, 2022 leaving from Port Canaveral. I know it is safest to fly the day before but unfortunately we don't have that option as my husband must work the 23 until 6 pm and we wouldn't make it to the airport on time for any available flight after that.

So our options are:
1) Fly to Orlando nonstop, arriving at 9:45 am: $260 p/p ($1,040 total)

-Pros: more transportation options, more flight options if anything happens

2) Fly to Melbourne nonstop, arriving at 11:15 am: $195 p/p ($780 total)

-Pros: very small airport so we would be out fast. Flight is cheaper, direct and first in the morning so hopefully no issues?

Any other things I should keep in mind when making this decision? What would you do? I'm leaning towards #2

What’s the fall-back position? What are the impacts if you miss the boat, as it were?

There is no guarantee that any flight is going to go or arrive on time.

I’d probably look for a cruise the next day, unless I was flying out of a city that always has good weather, multiple flights to my desired destination, and on an airline that operates those flights or has interline agreements to reroute passengers with those that do.

I don’t think Spirit, Frontier, Or Allegiant have agreements with other carriers. The airline will be happy to route you on THEIR next available flight, whenever that may be.

Forgot to mention the airlines. #1 (MCO) is with Southwest, #2 (MLB) is with American. American has 3 other non-stop flights to MCO that would make it on time- maybe they could rebook me on one of those if anything happens?
image.png.4344ad088f19879d1a5b58b651de31ec.png

Edited by sherezada

A few months ago a read a sad story from first time cruisers from outside Baltimore who were scheduled to fly in on a Sunday morning to MIA. The family consisted of a husband, wife and child along with the wife's parents. The young couple purchased insurance but the older couple did not. They were notified on Saturday that their Southwest flight and another flight a few hours later was cancelled too. They headed to BWI on Sunday morning hoping for a miracle. It didn't happen and I'm pretty sure they missed their twelve day MSC Divina sailing. She also thought that if there were many flight cancellations they would hold up the embarkation a few hours or reschedule the voyage until Monday. I explained that the ship's captain can hold up the sailing for a few hours but not until the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad stuff can happen but you sometimes have to work with what you have and try to minimize risk. We've been in your shoes. Make sure you have the cruise insurance first of all. I only get the insurance about 10% of the time but would have it in this case. Second I would go for the less expensive flights but I'm cheap, so....

One factor to consider is transportation costs and availability from both airports. We once flew into Sanford Airport and got a rental car to the port but couldn't get one for the return flight so I had to find a shuttle. There was only one company and he turned out to be a jerk and a crook. Long story but we eventually got to the airport late but luckily our flight had been delayed. Moral is to be sure you have reliable transportation. 

This is a hard one. First because flying in the day of is something I just won't do. I always give myself at least 24-hours for any cruise or at least 12-14 hours for a "big trip" connection. For example I went to Hawaii this year, connected in LA and took an overnight connecting giving me time for long delays or even a cancellation. Did not want to risk missing just one day. My flight to LAX was delayed almost 2-hours too. 

So on this one I want to lean MCO. DCA is not a hub for Southwest, given your arrival time that plane is likely arriving into DCA the night before and resting overnight in DCA. Meaning there is more time to get a delay either noticed or resolved with re-booking. And Southwest has a hub in BWI that could maybe work for you. 

For MLB It being a morning flight gives you a better chance of less issues, though it is not early enough that it would likely not be the first flight of the day for that airplane. The plane is likely coming in from an outstation into DCA and then over to MLB. AA might not allow a re-booking to MCO as well. 

I don't think Southwest has agreements with other airlines to put customers on other flights. But Orlando is a big station for them. 

Ultimately a delay on either is going to hurt, because with MCO has a 45-min drive, and MLB is a later arrival time. Really not sure which airline might seem the most reliable. The AA flight is a regional partner so keep that in mind. Given that is would be less reliable. Especially on December 24th as the regional airlines have an even bigger pilot shortage issue. 

If you must fly in the day of, even though MCO has the drive, I like my chances with a morning flight out of DCA to a large station with a plane that is likely scheduled to arrive in DCA the night before on a mainline carrier. 

• 3 weeks later...

#1 would be my choice.  You get in earlier and there are more options if things go wrong.  MEL being smaller isn't going to make much difference if you arrive MCO an hour earlier.  Drive time from MCO or MEL to the cruise port isn't much different.  Can you book ships shuttle from either to the ship?  If you can I would do that so they know your flight arrangements.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'd do Orlando, since you do have one flight after that that would get you to the port on time for sure, and even the second if you really push it, and your arrival time is better, giving you more time to get to Port Canaveral if there's traffic. There are more flights going into Orlando so you have a better chance of getting on another flight if there's a problem. 

Edited by njsmom