Cabo Tender port phone charge

funcky

While I stay on ship in Cabo which is a tender port, do I get roaming charge while I'm at sea for cellular phone usage?

Ship will be anchored at this time.

I remember reading something about ship have to turn off their satellite when they are approximate to land within certain distance.

Cannot find this info to confirm.

Any info, please advise.

regards,

🙂

The norm on nearly all cruise ships is to turn off their onboard cell service (usually Cellular at Sea) when they get within about 10 miles of land.   At that point you can connect to the land-based cell system.  In Mexico, the two big cell providers are Movistar and Telcel.  These Mexican providers both will work with most US Cell plans, but whether you are charged any fees depends on your own cell provider.  If you have T-Mobil, it will work with either system (usually defaults to Telcel) and most of their plans include free coverage in Mexico.  Other plans have their own rules so it is best to look at your own US Provider.  

Hank

I don't think we used the cell phones whilst still on board in Cabo.  When we got to shore, we sat down in a cafe and my wife made her phone calls, free on Verizon's plan which includes Canada and Mexico, while I enjoyed a Coke and pastry.