MSC has cancelled my MSC Opera Emirates cruise - what to do??

Crystaldawn

On 2/2/2023 at 10:17 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

I finally got my $1000 from a 2020 issue a few weeks back.

It took a large  volume TA to use their representative to finally resolve it.

I still have other issues unresolved that I won't let go.

I have been told not to contact MSC direct, regarding the cancelled cruise component of our holiday package, because I have a contract with the TA not MSC. (i.e. I paid the TA not MSC).  I have phoned them regardless.  And they told me things that don't align with my TA's comments.  I have been instructed again, in no uncertain terms, by my TA not to contact MSC again and to just sit and wait - Period.  The next thing I will be informed of is the return of our holiday costs, including the bits that aren't MSC, to out credit card or bank or what ever, (IF) when it happens.  I hate being talked down to by someone to whom I have paid a lot of money, to provide a service or product, which hasn't been provided.  Especially four months after the event.  But it would appear I have no other recourse.  😡😡🤬

6 hours ago, Louisfry said:

I have been instructed again, in no uncertain terms, by my TA not to contact MSC again and to just sit and wait - Period.

I am very familiar to this. Unfortunately I had booked with a TA not with the airlines flights that were cancelled because of COVID. Both (very prominent) airlines involved refused to talk with me, because they had no business with me as I used an agent. The agent of cause said he will not refund anything before he gets all settled by the airlines. One case took 11 months, the other 13 months. Just wasted time to make calls or write e-mails, it is just wait and see. For a long time. 

On 2/1/2023 at 9:47 AM, Louisfry said:

Hi Patti and Louis from Australia.... Been reading this thread as we were impacted by the cancellation of our cruise (Genoa to Dubai sailing 6 nov 22), and looking for answers as to when anyone is getting their refunds.  We were advised of the cancellation on 15 Sept 22 and responded that we would accept their compensation offer on 28 Sept 22.  This notification was thru our travel agent, NOT MSC.  They have advised us YET AGAIN (4 months) that the T.A. won't do anything until all their suppliers (airfares, accommodated etc) & MSC have refunded them...Oh, and we also have shore excursions booked thru the ship/cruise direct with MSC, which will (should, might) be refunded direct to our credit card, maybe.... by MSC direct.

So from here it starts.  Time to contact MSC direct, I think every hour on the hour with URGENT emails.  Might help, might not.  Then Cruise Critic open reviews stating how unhappy I am wth MSC. Probably Facebook and any other social media outlet I can find....  Might help, might not, but sitting on one's hands waiting for a response is sh!itt!ng me to tears right at the moment.  Remember the old joke about the two vultures sitting watching the dying animal... and one response to the other..."patience my ass, I want to k!ll something !"

We were on the same cruise as you but left from Barcelona to Dubai. We were told 6 months for the refund which would be March 2023. So I am planning to start ringing MSC on 1st of March to see where we are with our refund. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/4/2023 at 12:16 PM, Louisfry said:

I have been told not to contact MSC direct, regarding the cancelled cruise component of our holiday package, because I have a contract with the TA not MSC. (i.e. I paid the TA not MSC).  I have phoned them regardless.  And they told me things that don't align with my TA's comments.  I have been instructed again, in no uncertain terms, by my TA not to contact MSC again and to just sit and wait - Period.  The next thing I will be informed of is the return of our holiday costs, including the bits that aren't MSC, to out credit card or bank or what ever, (IF) when it happens.  I hate being talked down to by someone to whom I have paid a lot of money, to provide a service or product, which hasn't been provided.  Especially four months after the event.  But it would appear I have no other recourse.  😡😡🤬

It is now mid May (9 months since we received our cancellation notice) and we still haven’t received any refund. LoiseFry have you received anything? I have been ringing g frequently and sending emails with very little to show for it. 

Peta

We had a cruise booked in Jan 2020, just before the COVID closures. MSC rented out the ship and notified us around Sept/Oct before, and automatically rebooked us for a shorter cruise we didn't want. Their email said we had a choice to keep the rebooked cruise, choose another cruise, or cancel and get a refund including related expenses. We cancelled and got a refund for the cruise. We had a non-refundable hotel stay booked the night before the original cruise. We sent copies of the expense, but MSC never refunded us despite what their offer stated. 

2 hours ago, jame_g said:

We had a cruise booked in Jan 2020, just before the COVID closures. MSC rented out the ship and notified us around Sept/Oct before, and automatically rebooked us for a shorter cruise we didn't want. Their email said we had a choice to keep the rebooked cruise, choose another cruise, or cancel and get a refund including related expenses. We cancelled and got a refund for the cruise. We had a non-refundable hotel stay booked the night before the original cruise. We sent copies of the expense, but MSC never refunded us despite what their offer stated. 

That's why a TA would have been good to have.

On a recent cruise, they made changes and the TA did get the money for me as a result of the change fees.

6 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

That's why a TA would have been good to have.

On a recent cruise, they made changes and the TA did get the money for me as a result of the change fees.

We did book through a TA. They have been pretty useless. I and several others are making frequent phone calls and e-mails to the TA and all they say is it is MSC not them. Getting very frustrated. 

Peta 

We finally submitted our acceptance of MSCs Ts & Cs and waver requirements form and sent it back to the TA about4 weeks ago. The TA said they would not pass the refund and all other costs (airfares etc) until that was done…. Still waiting….  We did however get the refund directly from MSC for the $900 odd for the shore excursions we booked directly with MSC.  A small win I guess but still waiting for the big refund 

1 hour ago, Louisfry said:

We finally submitted our acceptance of MSCs Ts & Cs and waver requirements form and sent it back to the TA about4 weeks ago. The TA said they would not pass the refund and all other costs (airfares etc) until that was done…. Still waiting….  We did however get the refund directly from MSC for the $900 odd for the shore excursions we booked directly with MSC.  A small win I guess but still waiting for the big refund 

Did you use MyCruises?