MSC has cancelled my MSC Opera Emirates cruise - what to do??

Crystaldawn

This was supposed to be my first cruise. It was supposed to sail from Dubai for 7 nights on MSC Opera on Nov 27 2022.

I just received an email from MSC that the cruise has been cancelled. I'm offered a few options:

- cancel my reservation, get a refund of my deposit plus € 100 compensation

- rebook on any other MSC cruise (that's less than 30 days) + $ 200 refundable onboard credit.

- if I need more time to decide, I can get a voucher for the deposit to use on another MSC cruise + $ 200 onbaord credit.

In the email, it also says that regardless of your choice, MSC will refund "personal extra costs in connection with the cruise". No idea what that means. Any insight? 

I see that MSC has also scrapped the early dec 2022 sailing on MSC Opera. Does anyone know why these sailings are being scrapped? And if more will be scrapped?

I've already booked non-refundable flights to Dubai. I could pay a penalty and move these flights but if I cancel, I lose the money. Will MSC refund the costs? 

I'm tempted to rebook the same cruise for late december (which is still listed on the website as a go but again, will they scrap those too??) and pay the penalty to move the flights but obviously don't want to be caught out and have MSC cancel on me again \O/

Not a great start to my cruising adventures!!

Edited by Crystaldawn
Spelling

I would take the refund. After seeing all of the issues people had an complaints about future cruise credit during Covid, the refund is almost always a better option. That way you are not locked into the same cruise line, a specific time frame or even a cruise.

I’m guessing your personal extra cost associated with the cruise would be your non-refundable airfare. I would submit that as a claim for a refund as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi we have also been affected by the change to Opera’s opening schedule. We were leaving on 1st November for 26nights. We’re offered refund of difference between this and the new 13night cruise leaving 6th November . Have decided to go ahead with the change given that a refund would take at least 6 months. We are able to take the land content as arranged but need to book 5 more nights in Barcelona before the cruise. 
it is a very difficult decision to make I know, my husband and I went through everything and thought it was better to go than get a full refund. 

good luck

Regarding the "Personal Extra Costs" issue we have seen something similar with a few other cruise lines.  It may be a very iffy commitment to reinburse non-refundable expenditures such as with a pre-cruise hotel night or airline change fees.  If you have a decent travel/cruise agent they should be able to get the answer and help you navigate the reqirements.  Otherwise, you will need to directly contact MSC (my the Lord have mercy on your soul) and ask for guidance.

Hank

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 12:21 PM, Crystaldawn said:

This was supposed to be my first cruise. It was supposed to sail from Dubai for 7 nights on MSC Opera on Nov 27 2022.

I just received an email from MSC that the cruise has been cancelled. I'm offered a few options:

- cancel my reservation, get a refund of my deposit plus € 100 compensation

- rebook on any other MSC cruise (that's less than 30 days) + $ 200 refundable onboard credit.

- if I need more time to decide, I can get a voucher for the deposit to use on another MSC cruise + $ 200 onbaord credit.

In the email, it also says that regardless of your choice, MSC will refund "personal extra costs in connection with the cruise". No idea what that means. Any insight? 

I see that MSC has also scrapped the early dec 2022 sailing on MSC Opera. Does anyone know why these sailings are being scrapped? And if more will be scrapped?

I've already booked non-refundable flights to Dubai. I could pay a penalty and move these flights but if I cancel, I lose the money. Will MSC refund the costs? 

I'm tempted to rebook the same cruise for late december (which is still listed on the website as a go but again, will they scrap those too??) and pay the penalty to move the flights but obviously don't want to be caught out and have MSC cancel on me again \O/

Not a great start to my cruising adventures!!

Well the personal extra costs are something you are not going to like.  They will screw you over most likely. Under no circumstance will they cover your actual airfare.  They will also tell you to put a claim into your travel insurance policy.  I hope you have a policy that covers everything.

I have had this issue twice on an up coming cruise on the Splendida. They added 3 extra nights to the cruise 2 months ago.  I incurred a $100 per ticket change fee ($200)  with a TA involved. Not a nickel so far.  Now to make things worse, they have added a day to the cruise a few days ago to the end and I just incurred another $100 per ticket fee. I thought it was higher ($400)but in the end it was $100 i found out a few days ago.

I am in Yacht club so I gain 4 extra days.

I hope you used a TA. I am still waiting on a refund since January of 2021 (yes 2021), they are working on it as I have my TA involved now.

We too were booked on the MSC Opera sailing out of Dubai on 4th December., in less than 12 weeks time.

When I called MSC on Friday to discuss something totally unrelated, they informed me I would be receiving a letter from MSC cancellations team with alternatives. When I asked, “are you telling me this cruise is cancelled”, they replied, “you’ll be receiving a letter from our….” Broken record technique!!!!!

ABSOLUTLEY disgusted if this is because of football.  How selfish and greedy of MSC if this is the case.  This was the first cruise with MSC I had ever booked and if they are cancelling, it will be our LAST. Do I really want to take a cruise credit or alternative with a company that does this, DEFINITELY NOT!

As anyone paid their full amount and got a full refund?  A few have mentioned deposits, but we booked at Easter and only paid our final payment on 3rd September. I can’t wait months for the full refund as am limited on days holidays I have this year and need to book something else before it’s too late.  My holidays at work are “use them or loose them”!

Surely this is not something new to MSC?  They must have know well before now?…..

40 minutes ago, The Batman said:

We too were booked on the MSC Opera sailing out of Dubai on 4th December., in less than 12 weeks time.

When I called MSC on Friday to discuss something totally unrelated, they informed me I would be receiving a letter from MSC cancellations team with alternatives. When I asked, “are you telling me this cruise is cancelled”, they replied, “you’ll be receiving a letter from our….” Broken record technique!!!!!

ABSOLUTLEY disgusted if this is because of football.  How selfish and greedy of MSC if this is the case.  This was the first cruise with MSC I had ever booked and if they are cancelling, it will be our LAST. Do I really want to take a cruise credit or alternative with a company that does this, DEFINITELY NOT!

As anyone paid their full amount and got a full refund?  A few have mentioned deposits, but we booked at Easter and only paid our final payment on 3rd September. I can’t wait months for the full refund as am limited on days holidays I have this year and need to book something else before it’s too late.  My holidays at work are “use them or loose them”!

Surely this is not something new to MSC?  They must have know well before now?…..

Yes they would do it for football.

It's totally profit motivated.

Just like they gave my ship to a group cruise less than 2 months of sailing because one of their other ships did not make it to the USA.

I was in a yacht club Deluxe suite and was moved to a regular balcony cabin with no reduction in fare 😡

Cancelling for a refund was an option.

They did this on purpose to get me to cancel .

I still book with them but I do so with a TA. Even still they manage to goof up many things going forward and have not rectified things in the past.

You will get your refund in 1-2 billing cycles.

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes they would do it for football.

It's totally profit motivated.

Just like they gave my ship to a group cruise less than 2 months of sailing because one of their other ships did not make it to the USA.

I was in a yacht club Deluxe suite and was moved to a regular balcony cabin with no reduction in fare 😡

Cancelling for a refund was an option.

They did this on purpose to get me to cancel .

I still book with them but I do so with a TA. Even still they manage to goof up many things going forward and have not rectified things in the past.

You will get your refund in 1-2 billing cycles.

I think that ship has sailed many times....

15 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

I think that ship has sailed many times....

Not yet.

This thread is again another of how a company spats in the face of their customers. 

The thing that should be illegal is the fact they will take 1-2 billing cycles to refund.

Our Travel Agent is allegedly still unaware of any cancellation to the cruises in the period of October and November 2022.

I still don’t believe MSC were not prepared or in discussions at such a late date with the Qatar organisers wishing to charter the ship as a hotel during the World Cup well before now.  It’s only been eight years in the planning!

We shall await formal notification from MSC and PlanetCruise before making any rash decisions.  Thankfully we booked on our credit card and can raise this with them if MSC play the “six month refund card”.

Be assured this does not make me to be an advocate of MSC.

Greedy bar stewards! 🤬

On 9/14/2022 at 6:21 PM, Crystaldawn said:

Most probably this has to do with the World Cup. Maybe Qatar wants to have a third hotel ship in addition to Poesia and Europa. With the end of december cruises you should be save. The Europa leaves Doha on Dec 20, the the Opera is bookable already from Dec 18 for a cruise without Doha. 

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

I still don’t believe MSC were not prepared or in discussions at such a late date with the Qatar organisers wishing to charter the ship as a hotel during the World Cup well before now.  It’s only been eight years in the planning!

Sure, Qatar took already two MSC ships. But only last week they found out that they still lack of accomodation and announced that no tourists without World Cup tickets can enter in November and December. Grabbing a third MSC ship is probably the easiest solution. But thats still just a guess. 

We are booked on this cruise also starting in Barcelona on November 1.  I have not received an email regarding a cancellation / modification and checked with my TA. They have not received an email either. I can no longer get into my reservation and when you call MSC, the response is very confusing.  First they say the cruise is cancelled and then they say it is being modified.  They say I need to wait until I get the email.  Why would some people get notification and others not, even almost a week later?    This is poor customer service!  This was to be our first MSC cruise and after reading the comments above, I'm going to take the refund and be done with MSC.   I want to rebook on a similar Norwegian Cruise line cruise later in November, but can not do so until I know for sure if this is cancelled.     Frustrating!!!

13 hours ago, Sandiego1704 said:

We are booked on this cruise also starting in Barcelona on November 1.  I have not received an email regarding a cancellation / modification and checked with my TA. They have not received an email either. I can no longer get into my reservation and when you call MSC, the response is very confusing.  First they say the cruise is cancelled and then they say it is being modified.  They say I need to wait until I get the email.  Why would some people get notification and others not, even almost a week later?    This is poor customer service!  This was to be our first MSC cruise and after reading the comments above, I'm going to take the refund and be done with MSC.   I want to rebook on a similar Norwegian Cruise line cruise later in November, but can not do so until I know for sure if this is cancelled.     Frustrating!!!

I understand your pain. We were notified on Thursday 15th that the cruise is cancelled. They are offering alternate cruise but only 13nights rather than 26 that we paid for. It is the 6month wait for refund that pushed us to take the alternate cruise. It is frustrating when your TA hasn’t been notified yet. 

On 9/19/2022 at 2:43 PM, perakcruiser said:

Sure, Qatar took already two MSC ships. But only last week they found out that they still lack of accomodation and announced that no tourists without World Cup tickets can enter in November and December. Grabbing a third MSC ship is probably the easiest solution. But thats still just a guess. 

This guess was kind of educated guess, Poesia cannot cruise around in November and December, she also has to work at the World Cup 😄 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28291-doha-set-for-three-msc-ships-and-other-cruise-ships-for-world-cup.html

After sheer determination and numerous email I have now got something from my Travel Agent.  Having vowed we will NEVER book another MSC cruise, we have chosen option ONE.  We hope this helps others and good luck with your choice.

Option 1:

Therefore, should you wish to cancel the reservation, you will receive a full refund of the expenditure to date with MSC Cruises, whether it be a deposit, full fare, or pre-paid packages. Additionally, on this occasion we will offer for the first two full paying guests in each cabin a cash compensation of £85 or $/€ 100 for the first two full paying guests in each cabin, to acknowledge the disappointment and inconvenience caused.

Option 2:

However, should you prefer not to cancel, we would like to offer you the possibility to book any other cruise currently available for sale, granting you the most convenient price between the original and new product, provided that the same accommodation category is reserved.

Therefore, if the cost of the sailing of your choice is more expensive than your cruise originally booked, there will be no extra charge required on your cruise fare. While if the cost works out to be less expensive, your guest will receive a refund of the difference.

Please note that if you choose the alternative of a new cruise, you will also receive as an additional benefit a refundable on-board credit equal to £170 or $/€200 for the first two full paying guests in each cabin, dependent on the area sailing for your new reservation.

Option 3:

As an alternative, you can request a Future Cruise Credit Voucher, equal to the value of the amount collected by MSC Cruises, which can be applied to any cruise fare published on our communication channels and can be redeemed on all departures/canvas open for sale.

The additional benefits of double refundable on-board credit will be applied to the new reservation: the first equal to £170 or $/€200 on board credit per cabin (£85 or $/€100 onboard credit for single occupancy) to your future cruise, which cannot be combined with any previous voucher-related onboard credit already added to the original reservation.

And the second on-board credit equal to £170 or $/€200 (£85 or $/€100 onboard credit for single occupancy). In addition to the Future Cruise Credit, they will also receive a full refund of any pre-paid package purchased with credit card on MYMSC AREA. The refund will be processed as soon as possible.

Edited by The Batman

You don’t have to be Einstein to do the sums on this.

If booking a cruise with MSC on any of these three ships would be about a minimum per week of 500 GBP x 2500 passengers, x three ships x six weeks.  An eye watering 22.5 million GBP at LEAST.  There are cabins more expensive so it is going to be much higher.  Also remember, there is hardly any fuel been used as the ships are moored up for the six weeks.  The engines will be simply ticking over to keep the lights on!

You can imaging the senior board and accountants at MSC when the Qatar organisers of the World Cup opened their bottomless cheque book.  Also remember, their as been a lot of negativity about this event regarding things as time of year the event is been staged, treatment of labour force, deaths of construction workers and abuse of the countries people, so they know they have to make this work.  The eyes of the world are on this to succeed.  Their answer is to throw money at it at the expense of the cruise passengers (that is all of US) that had paid to go on holiday.  Shame on MSC, simply greed!

it’s going to be very interesting to see how much cabins cost to book per night during the tournament.  Then you will get a good idea of how many zeros where on the cheque!

Edited by The Batman
  • Like 1