Celebrity Excursion in Grand Cayman

Ekelley8804

Hi all,

We are trying to decide what we will do in Grand Cayman on a port stop from 10-6PM with three late teen, early 20's. We aren't interested in the Stingray City excursions. I may also try to post this on Grand Cayman forum but figured since we will be on Celebrity Summit I would ask here first. We've never booked an excursion through the ship before so we're not quite sure what to expect. I see two options that may interest us and was wondering if anyone had participated in either/both and what your experiences were. One is called Grand Cayman Snorkel, says it is 2 hours, and it starts at 1PM, says you visit two snorkel sites, you'll be at the first one for 45 minutes then you go off to the second. This one sounds a little more difficult for the less able bodied, according to description, which shouldn't be an issue for us. The second one we were looking at is called George Town Two-Stop Shipwreck Snorkel. Says its off the West Coast of Grand Cayman and you snorkel a famous shipwreck and then "glide over a tropical reef." This one sounds a tad bit easier for the less able bodied, according to description. Any experiences or suggestions welcome! 

The shipwreck snorkels are generally in deeper and less protected areas than the rays/snorkel tours inside the bay.  However GC has some great wrecks that are very close to the town dock and easy for beginners.  Fish aren't as close but the clear water lets you see a lot.  Of the two I would take the George Town, especially if you can get an early time.  Description for reef sounds like Eden Rock - huge canyons and nice coral and fish.  Some people do this from a bar on shore, but there is a lot of boat traffic so safer from a boat.

That said, our first trip to GC (before they had shore-based tenders) had the two story buildings in town disappearing from the Lido deck behind waves.  Nine ships missed the port that day.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, Ekelley8804 said:

Hi all,

We are trying to decide what we will do in Grand Cayman on a port stop from 10-6PM with three late teen, early 20's. We aren't interested in the Stingray City excursions. I may also try to post this on Grand Cayman forum but figured since we will be on Celebrity Summit I would ask here first. We've never booked an excursion through the ship before so we're not quite sure what to expect. I see two options that may interest us and was wondering if anyone had participated in either/both and what your experiences were. One is called Grand Cayman Snorkel, says it is 2 hours, and it starts at 1PM, says you visit two snorkel sites, you'll be at the first one for 45 minutes then you go off to the second. This one sounds a little more difficult for the less able bodied, according to description, which shouldn't be an issue for us. The second one we were looking at is called George Town Two-Stop Shipwreck Snorkel. Says its off the West Coast of Grand Cayman and you snorkel a famous shipwreck and then "glide over a tropical reef." This one sounds a tad bit easier for the less able bodied, according to description. Any experiences or suggestions welcome! 

Lots of discussion on the ports board.

Another "excursion" we have tried is combining Dolphin Discovery with the turtle farm.  These are across the street from each other about 15 minutes north of town.  Both can be booked online cheaper than cruise and accessed with either the city bus or a cab.  See GC forum for info on where to get a bus.  We took bus both ways.

The Dolphin Discovery facility has a great aquarium as part of it.  Book online to avoid cruise passenger crowds.

Trips through the cruise lines only go to the front half of the turtle farm.  Fair number of tanks and ability to feed turtles is ok.  But for a few bucks more you get access to the back of the facility.  This includes a very large pool with sand and ladder entry that contains fish and turtles.  They did require you to wear their life vests, not personal ones.  We had our own snorkel gear but think theirs are included.  When we were there we were the only people snorkeling with the turtles - awesome!

We just did my all-time ever favorite shore excursion at Grand Cayman last week. Has to be booked through a third-party but it’s a horseback ride and swim. I know there are several operators that offer it. Our particular excursion was made even better by the fact that they were only two of us that day so it was a little more personalized. But the feeling of riding a horse that is swimming was just beyond.

863FC755-F213-4261-BEA9-2C6DB81C6FAE.jpeg

On 9/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, Ekelley8804 said:

Hi all,

The one with the shipwreck is the Cali A which is literally right next to the cruise port off of Eden Rock.  If you have your own gear you can do it yourself.  Or you can rent gear at the dive shop there.  If a choice between 2, I'd do the other.  If the excursion Sunken Ship and Snorkel is available, grab this.  Its the Kittiwake plus cheeseburger reef and is a tough trip to get minus the Stingrays by locals.  I have this reserved on my Beyond cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 4:09 AM, jean87510 said:

The one with the shipwreck is the Cali A which is literally right next to the cruise port off of Eden Rock.  If you have your own gear you can do it yourself.  Or you can rent gear at the dive shop there.  If a choice between 2, I'd do the other.  If the excursion Sunken Ship and Snorkel is available, grab this.  Its the Kittiwake plus cheeseburger reef and is a tough trip to get minus the Stingrays by locals.  I have this reserved on my Beyond cruise.

Just curious what makes this one better than the better of the other two (“Grand Cayman Snorkel” as mentioned above)? I am happy to book it but wondering what the differences might be. You seem to have the experience! 

52 minutes ago, Ekelley8804 said:

Just curious what makes this one better than the better of the other two (“Grand Cayman Snorkel” as mentioned above)? I am happy to book it but wondering what the differences might be. You seem to have the experience! 

The only reason I'd choose Grand Cayman snorkel over the other selection is the other one goes to Cali A which is at Eden Rock which you can get to easily from tender port.  Eden Rock I believe still rents equipment unless you have your own.  I suggest doing the Cali A on your own and the Grand Caymen with the ship excursion.  That area around Cali A is really good snorkeling.  If you like snorkeling, I suggest looking for the Cressi brands for face mask and fins.  Really good quality and lasts.  Also bring a little dish soap in a small container and use to defog your mask.  Just a dot and then rub around and rinse.  Good Luck!!

Also there are buoys and markers at Eden Rock.  The only boat traffic are the dive boats and they go slow as you can't speed that close to shore.

Edited by jean87510

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

The only reason I'd choose Grand Cayman snorkel over the other selection is the other one goes to Cali A which is at Eden Rock which you can get to easily from tender port.  Eden Rock I believe still rents equipment unless you have your own.  I suggest doing the Cali A on your own and the Grand Caymen with the ship excursion.  That area around Cali A is really good snorkeling.  If you like snorkeling, I suggest looking for the Cressi brands for face mask and fins.  Really good quality and lasts.  Also bring a little dish soap in a small container and use to defog your mask.  Just a dot and then rub around and rinse.  Good Luck!!

Sorry, I made that way more confusing than necessary 🙂 what I meant was what makes the one that you mentioned, the Sunken Ship and Snorkel, better than the Grand Cayman Snorkel?

1 hour ago, Ekelley8804 said:

Sorry, I made that way more confusing than necessary 🙂 what I meant was what makes the one that you mentioned, the Sunken Ship and Snorkel, better than the Grand Cayman Snorkel?

I thought so!!  lol.  Ok this one goes to the kittiwake shipwreck  It is a little difficult to find a non ship tour to tske you unless you are scuba diving.  Plus the 2nd stop is a nice reef.  My husband and I are renting kayaks to go out to kittiwake to snorkel in February which should be fun (🙄).  I personally like your excursion better!