Live-NCL Breakaway 10/30-11/06/2022-New England/Canada-Club Balcony Suite

graphicguy

32 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I like that you play the odds 😅

Yeah....I do.  Personally, I'd rather be on a ship than on landfall if a hurricane hits.  On a ship, you can maneuver where you're going.  On land, you're stationary.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I definitely can't do that one since I am leaving for my Panama Canal cruise on Dec. 18 (actually flying to LA on the 17th). Not sure my team would love me only being back at work for 2.5 weeks between my Breakaway cruise and Thanksgiving and then only being back again for 2 weeks before being gone another 2 weeks.

I do like the idea of Bermuda in hurricane season. Hurricane season doesn't really scare me, because if the ship gets rerouted, oh well. I agree with you that it seems safer to be on a ship that can just maneuver around/out of the way of a storm.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Sounds exhausting. Oh but the Encore...

I’ve been known to do that.

About a year and a half ago I had sailed the Celebrity Edge on one of the first post COVID start up cruises.  The deals were very, very good.  On board, I bought a Future Cruise Certificate.  I had a grand time on that cruise.  New (at the time) beautiful ship.  Captain Kate, who was sailing her at the time, was so engaging with all of us (I think there were only about 800 guests on that sailing).  Reservations were NOT needed….ANYWHERE.  I had a ton of OBC as at the last minute, Celebrity had a huge price drop to get passengers on the ship, which they gave us as OBC (bought some nice jewelry for the former GF with it).

Turned out, the Retreat (Celebrity’s version of NCL’s Haven) was relatively cheap.  Remembering off the top of my head, but for a solo, it was something like $3,200 in a Sky Suite.  Typical discounts….AMEX Platinum gave me $300 OBC.  My TA gave me a $400 discount.  Celebrity gave me $700 OBC for sailing in a suite.  Tips were included.  Premium drink package was included.

It was a Western Caribbean sailing, which I had been to many, many times before.  But, it didn’t matter.  I was back on a ship.

Had such a good time, I bought a future cruise credit while on board.

I wasn’t planning to sail so soon, but 3 weeks later, the Edge was sailing the Eastern Caribbean itinerary.  Figured….”what the heck”?  So, after arriving home, I booked it.  I think it was actually a little bit cheaper than the first sailing.  Plus, I got all the goodies, plus another $500 OBC, which was more than they usually offered, for using the certificate.

On both, I was sailing, in a suite, on a new ship that seemed like it was sailing for just a few close friends, for a fare that ended up in the $2,500 range (after discounts), with a ton of OBC.

Capt Kate and the CD (who I don’t recall) made those of us who returned after those first sailings feel quite special with a personal M&G, some tasty treats sent to the cabin every day, and service that has yet to be bested.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I definitely can't do that one since I am leaving for my Panama Canal cruise on Dec. 18 (actually flying to LA on the 17th). Not sure my team would love me only being back at work for 2.5 weeks between my Breakaway cruise and Thanksgiving and then only being back again for 2 weeks before being gone another 2 weeks.

I do like the idea of Bermuda in hurricane season. Hurricane season doesn't really scare me, because if the ship gets rerouted, oh well. I agree with you that it seems safer to be on a ship that can just maneuver around/out of the way of a storm.

I posted that in jest (kinda).  I’ll see what Bermuda looks like.

@ESCARGO is looking at an MSC sailing out of New York for next October now that MSC is going to be sending the Meraviglia there. It's an 11 day to the western Caribbean starting Oct. 25. I am not sure how I feel about sailing MSC after my whole status matching debacle, but I would be willing to try contacting their customer service again to see if i can get that resolved.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/Booking?CruiseID=MR20231025NYCNYC

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I’ve been known to do that.

About a year and a half ago I had sailed the Celebrity Edge on one of the first post COVID start up cruises.  The deals were very, very good.  On board, I bought a Future Cruise Certificate.  I had a grand time on that cruise.  New (at the time) beautiful ship.  Captain Kate, who was sailing her at the time, was so engaging with all of us (I think there were only about 800 guests on that sailing).  Reservations were NOT needed….ANYWHERE.  I had a ton of OBC as at the last minute, Celebrity had a huge price drop to get passengers on the ship, which they gave us as OBC (bought some nice jewelry for the former GF with it).

Turned out, the Retreat (Celebrity’s version of NCL’s Haven) was relatively cheap.  Remembering off the top of my head, but for a solo, it was something like $3,200 in a Sky Suite.  Typical discounts….AMEX Platinum gave me $300 OBC.  My TA gave me a $400 discount.  Celebrity gave me $700 OBC for sailing in a suite.  Tips were included.  Premium drink package was included.

It was a Western Caribbean sailing, which I had been to many, many times before.  But, it didn’t matter.  I was back on a ship.

Had such a good time, I bought a future cruise credit while on board.

I wasn’t planning to sail so soon, but 3 weeks later, the Edge was sailing the Eastern Caribbean itinerary.  Figured….”what the heck”?  So, after arriving home, I booked it.  I think it was actually a little bit cheaper than the first sailing.  Plus, I got all the goodies, plus another $500 OBC, which was more than they usually offered, for using the certificate.

On both, I was sailing, in a suite, on a new ship that seemed like it was sailing for just a few close friends, for a fare that ended up in the $2,500 range (after discounts), with a ton of OBC.

Capt Kate and the CD (who I don’t recall) made those of us who returned after those first sailings feel quite special with a personal M&G, some tasty treats sent to the cabin every day, and service that has yet to be bested.

@graphicguy I want to be you when I grow up.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

@ESCARGO is looking at an MSC sailing out of New York for next October now that MSC is going to be sending the Meraviglia there. It's an 11 day to the western Caribbean starting Oct. 25. I am not sure how I feel about sailing MSC after my whole status matching debacle, but I would be willing to try contacting their customer service again to see if i can get that resolved.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/Booking?CruiseID=MR20231025NYCNYC

I've got no issues with MSC.  What happened with your status match?  Mine was pretty easy.  Although, it's running out this year.

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I've got no issues with MSC.  What happened with your status match?  Mine was pretty easy.  Although, it's running out this year.

The issue was that I requested a status match back when I was Gold with NCL and NCL matched me 1 point in their Voyager Club, which is basically the equivalent of having spent 1 night on board. I was one point better off than someone who had never cruised before. I protested and they told me "tough luck."

Fortunately their customer service seems to have improved greatly. I am now Platinum on NCL and I contact MSC Voyager Club today and they re-matched me to "Gold" on MSC, giving me 4300 points.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The issue was that I requested a status match back when I was Gold with NCL and NCL matched me 1 point in their Voyager Club, which is basically the equivalent of having spent 1 night on board. I was one point better off than someone who had never cruised before. I protested and they told me "tough luck."

Fortunately their customer service seems to have improved greatly. I am now Platinum on NCL and I contact MSC Voyager Club today and they re-matched me to "Gold" on MSC, giving me 4300 points.

Wow Jamie!  I'm glad they took care of you. They only need $199 deposit to book their cruises! I saw they have a few CA/NE cruises before the 10-25-23. And NCL has a 5 day Bermuda Escape cruise on 11-05-23 the same day Meraviglia gets back. We just need to take a cab from Brooklyn to Pier 88! 🛳🗽

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

@JamieLogical @ESCARGO

Have you seen this?  Have to cruise by May 2023, though.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise-deals/solo-traveler

Solo in a balcony on their brand new ship with drinks and wifi for ~$1000 for the week of Feb. 26.... Too bad flights to Miami are so expensive that time of year. I will definitely be keeping an eye on flight prices, but might actually pull the trigger on that one!

• Like 1

Just now, ESCARGO said:

Wow Jamie!  I'm glad they took care of you. They only need $199 deposit to book their cruises! I saw they have a few CA/NE cruises before the 10-25-23. And NCL has a 5 day Bermuda Escape cruise on 11-05-23 the same day Meraviglia gets back. We just need to take a cab from Brooklyn to Pier 88! 🛳🗽

Ha! That is super tempting!!!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 2:24 PM, graphicguy said:

How about a Bermuda sailing during hurricane season?

How about a sailing to Bermuda April 30th on Prima out of NYC. It won't be cheap but you know you want to! </Hint> Should still have the new ship smell. 😉

• Like 2

Did someone mention MSC? We are taking the plunge on the Meraviglia on 9/18/23 out of Brooklyn, 7 day - 6 night going to Bermuda for only $1300 ( without the drink package, took the $200 OBC and free cabin upgrade to a balcony ). A 5 day on the Joy with a balcony ( without the drink package is $2070 - no OBC ). I'm excited about another cruise line coming to NY, competition can't hurt. 

Jim

PS .. looks like the parking is cheaper in Brooklyn too 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Did someone mention MSC? We are taking the plunge on the Meraviglia on 9/18/23 out of Brooklyn, 7 day - 6 night going to Bermuda for only $1300 ( without the drink package, took the $200 OBC and free cabin upgrade to a balcony ). A 5 day on the Joy with a balcony ( without the drink package is $2070 - no OBC ). I'm excited about another cruise line coming to NY, competition can't hurt. 

Jim

PS .. looks like the parking is cheaper in Brooklyn too 

It’s been a while, but I’ve sailed both the Meriviglia (Mediterranean) and the Divina (FL).  Both were beautiful ships.  I enjoyed them.  MSC was just starting to get into the U.S. market, then.  So, they may have adapted more.  Definitely a Euro flare vs the big 3 in the U.S. (NCL, Carnival, Royal).

I’ve seen a couple of YouTube vids about their stop to their private island.  If you’re going there, that looks great.

Still looking at some MSC cruises now.

17 hours ago, ESCARGO said:

is Bermuda back to normal from the COVID shutdown?