Dinner on the Edge

love2crews.

9 hours ago, love2crews. said:

Has anyone experienced "Dinner on the Edge" on any of the Edge class ships?

There isn't much info online and would love to know a bit more about it and how it works.  

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they are doing that anymore since the restart, which would explain the lack of mention. Reviews pre-pandemic were always a fraught with complaints about wind and cold food. 

We have been on the Edge (2x)  & Apex since the restart and that dinner wasn’t offered.  Imagine having dinner on your porch when there are 20 knot winds, a poorly thought out idea unless you have a overnight in port or a late night departure.

Edited by jelayne
Typo
  • Like 1

The whole Magic Carpet is a poorly-thought-out idea. It's a gimmick that doesn't really deliver, and for what it must cost, I can't imagine there's an R on that I.

Its best function is as a tender dock. The tendering experience is much more pleasant on E-class ships because the Magic Carpet allows the tender boats to come right up snug to the side and ingress/egress becomes very easy.

It certainly looks great, and the furniture they have out there is very comfy, but it's simply too windy when the ship is moving. It's not even pleasant to sit out there for a drink under power.

To me, what's most fascinating about E-class ships is that I don't like the two key features of the vessels -- Magic Carpet and Infinite Verandas -- and yet the overall experience on them is fantastic. I've got two more E-class bookings (one SS and one SV) coming up in the next 14 months! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they are doing that anymore since the restart, which would explain the lack of mention. Reviews pre-pandemic were always a fraught with complaints about wind and cold food. 

That makes sense.  Thank you!

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

We have been on the Edge (2x)  & Apex since the restart and that dinner wasn’t offered.  Imagine having dinner on your porch when there are 20 knot winds, a poorly thought out idea unless you have a overnight in port or a late night departure.

Our itinerary does have 1 overnight port.  I wonder if it will be offered when the ship is docked there...

4 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

The whole Magic Carpet is a poorly-thought-out idea. It's a gimmick that doesn't really deliver, and for what it must cost, I can't imagine there's an R on that I.

Its best function is as a tender dock. The tendering experience is much more pleasant on E-class ships because the Magic Carpet allows the tender boats to come right up snug to the side and ingress/egress becomes very easy.

It certainly looks great, and the furniture they have out there is very comfy, but it's simply too windy when the ship is moving. It's not even pleasant to sit out there for a drink under power.

To me, what's most fascinating about E-class ships is that I don't like the two key features of the vessels -- Magic Carpet and Infinite Verandas -- and yet the overall experience on them is fantastic. I've got two more E-class bookings (one SS and one SV) coming up in the next 14 months! 

I'm quite bummed we don't need to tender while on the ship.  I was really hoping to experience the tenders on the Edge class!

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Also it looks like it has a roof but it's like chicken wire, a lot of folks wrongly assume the roof provides sun and rain protection but it doesn't.

Anyone is welcome to grab food from the buffet, mast grill, Eden Cafe, etc and bring it with them to the Magic Carpet

This is interesting.  I have heard the roof does provide protection from the elements.  No one has mentioned the chicken wire style roof.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!

12 minutes ago, love2crews. said:

This is interesting.  I have heard the roof does provide protection from the elements.  No one has mentioned the chicken wire style roof.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!

I took this pic from the Edge in July of 2021, the glass is over the bartender to protect them from rain

9VNyEfk7XHgOtDUVm43rYZe7y7dZjNsppbVtqEqt-uyuXD-XIRj_OJPMU2Z_o6FuGBlJNb2JybUPk9jbdbXtVqpzrn_yXvuvsj8cEJGSmJjYuMMxsnR2b4M9Jw7nflB9nvBJTyTT5wOoo5qcUO2_E19S6wxADXfS3DD_dCcxDg2CvTmRrySCXdGv_Z7RxByReJLNVxQE22m2C2ykRC7QO9jekMN7Yj9DGFhhTcnvH4MrZxxEnCGt_wElM42dDvBT4fNM8XHRQsxhq8vU4PrY9D9ELUffK-7XnIfsnsXN02VRuswgcPxnLD5GC-H2s_4fatBGQj1W14wUpJQZpHsmYi_7VM6CUpXMHx7hVGTSBH94XzIDuYcDOh7v7mVM_MEC1UcF1ECV1uzuHzuAVwtZja17-5Rpp1AEu_vgbXGXX0IkSfU9ap8masKIlCFERMPm3fAIGyhh1svji643pGMVq-oGzOu9WHlJv8PVu6tolovHcgXxOsF7uJWVpi6O9nGS9O4_wXb7gkl-r0oBkY19t7rp58CQ9YNhUszg174y_O-EZJoSiOxuqt_iUza4SW9Uk-UvjYmc-bN3BiIagv-Hx3J5eH7Om7ekzCru8n0fUorRdJ1RZ_DpXlMMsjDzbb9E3e3qTJ_FUshzbgSqKG6mKLT7S5AjwDB862Cmp_AxrzmMYikz6O15yHBkeHfRWM3Q2AqshEfo2ren9w8EtUbaUvtIVRQc7F--1_1TaB5Oc6ZcV2JFXfZdVHMKESnK=w612-h816-no?authuser=0