Rewarding Cozumel Side Trip

#1TravelMom

Hopefully I'm not violating any rules by posting this.  Just thinking of some things we've done in Cozumel that our kids enjoyed and thought I'd pass it along.  There is an animal shelter a short ride from the piers.  They gladly take donations and welcome tourists to walk their dogs.  We usually check with them and see what they need (treats, collars, leashes, etc.) and either take them or stop at the Mega store and get what is needed.  We usually get a group of dogs and walk/run them around the neighborhood.  We return and get another group and do the same.  The dogs are soooooo excited to get out of the cages.  We always have time to spend on the beach afterwards.   

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to this shelter as part of my cruise day in Cozumel several times.  They do such excellent work.  I totally agree that it is a rewarding Cozumel side trip...especially for frequent cruisers that have seen and done almost everything else on the island.  

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be in Cozumel in December with no excursion planned and this sounds like something we'd like to do. Is it the Cozumel Humane Society or another rescue? Do you just show up or is it recommended to contact them first? 

• 3 weeks later...

It was the Cozumel Humane Society.  Feel free to contact them first, but the last two times we visited we just dropped in.  I'll link the volunteer page.  They also have an album on their social media page called "Give us a Paw" that has wish list items for donation.  If you are docking at the International Terminal or Puerta Maya, the shelter is about a 15 minute walk or a short taxi ride. 

https://www.humanecozumel.org/voluntariado?lang=en

• Like 1