Renting a car in various ports

RonenLin

We are traveling to Hawaii this coming Jan (NCL POA) and were looking into renting a car on a few of the islands.

We looked into Turo but our credit card car-rental insurance does not cover peer2peer renting. We do have a corp discount with Avis and Budget but there 2 are usually pretty far away from the cruise port.

The islands we are looking to rent from are as follows:

1. Kahului Maui - the port address seems to be: 130 Ala Luina St, Kahului, HI 96732, United States (2 days rental) 
  2. Hilo Hawaii - 80 Kuhio St, Hilo, HI 96720, United States
  3. Nawiliwili Kaua'i - the port address seems to be: Waapa Rd, Lihue, HI 96766, United States (2 days rental)

I can't figure out how to shuttle to and from the port to the car-rental locations and how much it may cost me. Also it's hard to find out if the port allows to park the rented car (for example in Maui we would like to rent for 2 days).

We are using Hertz at airports in Maui, Kauai, and Oahu. Just renting for first days in Maui and Kauai to avoid hassles with overnights parking. Will just taxi from pier to airport, have heard no shuttles are available in Maui and Kauai. 

16 hours ago, RonenLin said:

I just reserved with Avis on all 3 ports, maybe if we find enough ppl we can order a shuttle of some sort or split the taxi bill.

I can tell you there won't be an Avis shuttle on Maui with certainty-- if you are Chairman's or President's Club level with them they will drop off and pick up the car though. There weren't many rental shuttles to begin with before covid and the few that existed went to the wayside during. 

The airport location at Kahului Airport in Maui is easy to pick up and drop off at-- we do it several times a year. An Uber from the port to the rental area at the airport will be about $12 each way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I can tell you there won't be an Avis shuttle on Maui with certainty-- if you are Chairman's or President's Club level with them they will drop off and pick up the car though. There weren't many rental shuttles to begin with before covid and the few that existed went to the wayside during. 

The airport location at Kahului Airport in Maui is easy to pick up and drop off at-- we do it several times a year. An Uber from the port to the rental area at the airport will be about $12 each way. 

Thanks for the info, i guess I'll have to get an Uber or taxi. Probably will have to also park the car at the airport or just rent it twice.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CruisinCoyote said:

What date are you sailing? We would be interested in splitting Kauai 

Ride shares and related stuff like this are arranged on your Roll Call, per Cruise Critic rules. Your Roll Call would be located here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/269-pride-of-america-roll-calls/

A quick look didn't find one, but you can create one over there. Just follow the naming protocol.

On 10/20/2022 at 10:06 AM, CruisinCoyote said:

We are looking at car rental in Kauai and Maui. We are on January 21 pride of America. Anyone else reserve car?

Avis has a shuttle in Kauai. Our Kahului stop got messed up so I couldn't tell if there were shuttles or not.

13 hours ago, mirglip69 said:

We have cars rented in both Maui and Honolulu.with Avis, picking up at airport. Asking you all if it is with renting in the ports below. First time in Hawaii!

I presume you mean "worth" renting, and of course it is worth it. Kauai I'd go down to Waimea Canyon and on Hawaii Island I'd go to Volcano National Park.