Snorkeling in Mexico?

Eric G.

I'll be on the upcoming 12 day cruise on the Royal Princess. I've been snorkeling in Hawaii, but never in Mexico. We'll be going to Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, Mazatlán and Cabo San Lucas. Has anyone gone snorkeling in any of these areas? Is it good visibility and worth the cost? Good sea life to view?

I haven't decided yet whether to go on a ship excursion or book something myself.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by Eric G.

• Eric G. changed the title to Snorkeling in Mexico?

It depends on YOU.

1.  "I am an experienced snorkeler and I love the reefs and amazing schools of fish at ______."  You will be disappointed with Pacific Mex Riv snorkeling.

2.  "I love to swim in the ocean."  Snorkeling can be fun if you are not expecting amazing views!

I've beach snorkeled in Cabo, Mazatlan and PV, and it ain't awesome!

I on this cruise also.  I booked a snorkeling excursion on Chileno Bay.  There is also one for Santa Maria.  I dont know which one is better.   They feed the fish so the fish get aggressive bumping into you.  I havent heard much.   

I snorkeled Hawaii also and it was really nice.  Clear water and big tropical blue fish.

There are lots of videos on youtube concerning snorkeling in Chileno Bay and Cabo.

Edited by Kabuki12

On 9/20/2022 at 5:01 PM, Mike45LC said:

It depends on YOU.

1.  "I am an experienced snorkeler and I love the reefs and amazing schools of fish at ______."  You will be disappointed with Pacific Mex Riv snorkeling.

2.  "I love to swim in the ocean."  Snorkeling can be fun if you are not expecting amazing views!

I've beach snorkeled in Cabo, Mazatlan and PV, and it ain't awesome!

We have lived in Puerto Vallarta for the past 17 winters.  The first year we brought all of our snorkel gear.  That was the first and last time we ever had snorkel gear in PV :).  We are spoiled having snorkeled and dived in many great spots around the globe and Puerto Vallarta ain't one of them!

Hank