Istanbul with knee scooter?

Hello, asking for advice from people who have been to the Sultanahmet area. If we can get the tram from the port to that area (I read the tram is accessible) will we be able to navigate the cobblestones and into the sites? Can do some stairs with crutch, then use portable scooter. One of our party has a broken ankle that will be in a boot by the time of our cruise. Thanks for any insights!

Istanbul is hilly, but the Haghia Sofya mosque is a relatively flat walk from the tram stop. I think there are a few steps before you get into the building. (To view the second floor, you can walk up a wide ramp or stairs.). The terrain to the Blue Mosque, either from the tram or from Haghia Sofya is also mostly flat.  A lot of the area around these two sites is paved with flat brick type pavers, as shown here:

image.thumb.png.5a34fec9d1b0ee4408c531751beb8b4c.png 

I have no idea how easy it would be to use a scooter over these. If you think it would be easy, you could see a good deal of the area around Sultanahmet. To get close to the monuments in the center of the Hippodrome you'd need to go over a large grassy area.  From the area pictured it is about a 500 meter walk to the entrance to Topkapi Palace, mostly the same kind of pavers or sidewalk. I do not recall whether there were any steps. Topkapi is a VERY large area to walk around though, with museums set in various buildings around the site.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be a little bumpy, and people may be in your way, but I also think it's doable.  But trams may be very crowded, so unless you're lucky and/or go early morning, those may possibly be a bit of a challenge.  (Tram from Tophane stop by Galataport in direction of Bagcilar, get off Sultanahmet stop. I would buy two tickets at a time from machines at Galataport to at machines.)

• Thanks 1