NCL's "Cancel for Any Reason Credit Feature" - NY Residents

Travelling2Some

I have in writing that residents of New York State are allowed to purchase this single feature without buying the Booksafe insurance plan sold by Aon through NCL but am getting the "run around" trying to figure out how to actually do so.  We already have a medical only policy from Trip Insurance Store (Thanks, Steve!).  The "cancellation feature" is provided by NCL, not Aon.   The phone number given for NYS residents to "get the details" just connects you to Aon.  We have called that number several times this morning in hopes of getting someone knowledgeable.  Nobody knows what we are referring to. 

Of course, the NCL call center is completely useless.  I suspect NCL does not want us to be able to figure out how to purchase this feature separately even though we are supposed to be able to.  If we call Aon they refer us to NCL.  If we call NCL they tell us to call Aon.  Have any of our fellow New Yorkers been able to figure out how to buy this? 

38 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I have in writing that residents of New York State are allowed to purchase this single feature without buying the Booksafe insurance plan sold by Aon through NCL but am getting the "run around" trying to figure out how to actually do so.  We already have a medical only policy from Trip Insurance Store (Thanks, Steve!).  The "cancellation feature" is provided by NCL, not Aon.   The phone number given for NYS residents to "get the details" just connects you to Aon.  We have called that number several times this morning in hopes of getting someone knowledgeable.  Nobody knows what we are referring to. 

Of course, the NCL call center is completely useless.  I suspect NCL does not want us to be able to figure out how to purchase this feature separately even though we are supposed to be able to.  If we call Aon they refer us to NCL.  If we call NCL they tell us to call Aon.  Have any of our fellow New Yorkers been able to figure out how to buy this? 

I no longer live in New York and I have not tried to purchase this.  You are probably way ahead of me on this, but here are a few thoughts.

I am assuming you are referring to this language and this phone number.

Please note: Residents of the state of New York are not required to purchase the BookSafe Travel Protection Plan in order to purchase the Cancel For Any Reason Credit Feature. Please contact 1-888-722-2195 for details.

If not, try it.  If it is the number you have, I would try again and keep pushing for a supervisor.  

The number above is for Aon Affinity.  Aon is not the insurance company, but it is the administrator for both the insurance underwriter (Nationwide in NCL's case) and for the benefits provided by NCL (such as CFAR). This is the same number given out by several cruise lines and other travel suppliers, and not all use Nationwide.  So the call center is dealing with multiple lines, a variety of policies,  state variations, and at least two insurance underwriters.  So it does not surprise me that individual reps are clueless on some specific questions.  You may need to be persistent, but unless someone knows the secret, I think that is your best course of action.

If you do succeed, please share anything you find out.

Edited by Jersey42

19 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

I no longer live in New York and I have not tried to purchase this.  You are probably way ahead of me on this, but here are a few thoughts.

I am assuming you are referring to this language and this phone number.

Please note: Residents of the state of New York are not required to purchase the BookSafe Travel Protection Plan in order to purchase the Cancel For Any Reason Credit Feature. Please contact 1-888-722-2195 for details.

If not, try it.  If it is the number you have, I would try again and keep pushing for a supervisor.  

The number above is for Aon Affinity.  Aon is not the insurance company, but it is the administrator for both the insurance underwriter (Nationwide in NCL's case) and for the benefits provided by NCL (such as CFAR). This is the same number given out by several cruise lines and other travel suppliers, and not all use Nationwide.  So the call center is dealing with multiple lines, a variety of policies,  state variations, and at least two insurance underwriters.  So it does not surprise me that individual reps are clueless on some specific questions.  You may need to be persistent, but unless someone knows the secret, I think that is your best course of action.

If you do succeed, please share anything you find out.

Thank you so much for your very informative answer.  What you say makes perfect sense.  Yes, the wording you cited is what I am referring to.  Called the number given and talked to 3 different people who never heard of this.  I will call again after the weekend and ask for a supervisor.  I should have thought to do that!  And I will post again here to let folks know what I find out. 

• 1 year later...

I just called that number trying to find out info about that NY version of CFAR for a Princess Cruise. Up until earlier this week, you could purchase an 'at ease waiver' (image below) when paying the deposit, but that has disappeared from the website in the last day or two (of course, when I tried to book 🙄). Where did that go? Is that not available anymore? 

image.png.eb22c024cea3f24e6dc1a5044dea275c.png

I tried asking for info in a Princess online chat & didn't get anywhere other than 'we apologize'. When I called 888-722-2195 for details, I was transferred from 1 person to another, who was very kind & took my contact info and said that someone would get back to me. She also said I should contact Princess. I did mention that the info from Princess says to contact them. 

I found this (image below) when looking at the New York policy on the Princess website. The 'At-Ease' program had no cancellation fees -- if it has been replaced by this 'CFAR Travel Credit Feature', it's certainly not as good, since it's credit instead of a refund. 

So frustrating!!! 

image.png.ba9350f0524490f65dfa27753cde691c.png