Anyone have any experience going to Maya Chan when the ship doesn’t get in to Costa Maya until 11am-12noon?

Luvmypups

We have 2 cruises booked on different cruise lines, both have a stop in Costa Maya but one gets there at 11am and the other not until noon for some reason. We love going to Maya Chan but didn’t know how bad it would affect our time there. Anyone tried it?

10 minutes ago, Luvmypups said:

We have 2 cruises booked on different cruise lines, both have a stop in Costa Maya but one gets there at 11am and the other not until noon for some reason. We love going to Maya Chan but didn’t know how bad it would affect our time there. Anyone tried it?

I have been with those hours. I think the first consideration is ship time vs local time which affects your metabolic clock and  daylight hours. Costa maya is on EST year round and I went on a ship that was on CST so local time was 1 hour later and it was getting dark by the time we returned to the ship.

Our ship was late docking. Despite being one of the first off the ship and hurrying to the meeting place, (which takes some time after negotiating the pier, the port and exit)  we had to wait for a van to fill up before they would depart to Maya Chan. So whilst we could have been at Maya Chan earlier we arrived even later than we would have liked. This isn’t as bad when you dock early but was more than annoying on what was already a late arrival. This is the second time this  has happened to us recently on visits to Maya Chan. I understand trying to economize and reduce the number of taxis, but it didn’t used to be this way, and as I said it is more annoying with a ship that docks late.

Whilst the food was good as usual,  eating half-way through the afternoon is not as enjoyable and we just basically snacked.

Because we arrived late we opted for the last taxi back that was offered. I realize the decision to do that was on us but we had always found the transportation reliable previously. This  time the taxi was at least 15 minutes later than scheduled time, which was much to close for comfort returning to the ship. I would certainly not repeat this option and would return on an earlier taxi but it leaves you with a very “short” day. 

We enjoyed our visit but the transport issues do take away from the relaxing day so we would probably not repeat it with these hours, or certainly go mentally prepared.

We find it easier to eat a large breakfast on the ship and just go into Mahahual  for a few drinks and a snack on our own timeline with those port hours. I realize many will disagree and say they always go to Maya Chan no matter how short a visit but we like to ring the changes wherever we go and don’t find Maya Chan to be the best option for a short day.

• Thanks 1

You do not mention the time your ship leaves Costa Maya, so that is important.

We have been to Maya Chan approaching 10 times. I do remember individual taxis that were very good getting pax there in good time. Last 2022 trip we had to take a full van with others. Given Covid, I was not to happy to share this close of a space. Covid is still here with us, unfortunately. Same thing on return. They ask when you want to leave and you are grouped together will all who chose that time. Van is packed full with even someone in the front passenger seat.

Taxis (this is Mexico remember) will likely be there when you want, but be ready for delays.

The owners are wonderful in responding to concerns, so email Mark, one of the owners,  through their website for questions or to ask for help with your own timeframes.

• 2 months later...

Our only time visiting, our ship did get in at 1pm and left at 6pm. Since the drive out is a bit long and our ship got there so late, we only had about 2 hours at the resort. It was a little hectic and we didn't have a long time there, but it was still fun. That being said, we're going to try a new location on our upcoming visit.

• Like 1