Stavanger, Norway?

Twitchly

No Shetland Islands for us tomorrow. The weather won’t cooperate. So the UK part of our British Isles cruise has now come to an end. I already want to return!

Viking is taking us instead to Stavanger in Norway. There will be an included walking tour, which I won’t be able to do thanks to the sprained knee. So what suggestions might anyone have about things to do in Stavanger for a few hours? Assuming it’s easy enough to get into town …

Edited by Twitchly

2 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

No Shetland Islands for us tomorrow. The weather won’t cooperate. So the UK part of our British Isles cruise has now come to an end. I already want to return!

Viking is taking us instead to Stavenger in Norway. There will be an included walking tour, which I won’t be able to do thanks to the sprained knee. So what suggestions might anyone have about things to do in Stavenger for a few hours? Assuming it’s easy enough to get into town …

If available the Pulpit Rock cruise is amazing…..and the stop for a waffle is  a nice bonus!

• Like 4

• Twitchly changed the title to Stavanger, Norway?
6 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

If available the Pulpit Rock cruise is amazing…..and the stop for a waffle is  a nice bonus!

Viking is offering a Pulpit Rock cruise for a fee, but it sounds as though some hiking will be involved. Not sure. I’ll check it out, thanks.

Just now, Twitchly said:

Viking is offering a Pulpit Rock cruise for a fee, but it sounds as though some hiking will be involved. Not sure. I’ll check it out, thanks.

No hiking is involved. You sit in a boat, except for the brief walk (2 minutes) to get the waffle.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

None of the winter 2022 Northern Lights cruises made it to the Shetland Islands either.  I thought it was due to winter weather, but your BIE cruise was in September.  Does anyone know if any of the BIE cruises made it to Lerwick this year? We're on a BIE cruise next May and want to know whether to take a chance booking a private excursion on the Shetland Islands. 

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

None of the winter 2022 Northern Lights cruises made it to the Shetland Islands either.  I thought it was due to winter weather, but your BIE cruise was in September.  Does anyone know if any of the BIE cruises made it to Lerwick this year? We're on a BIE cruise next May and want to know whether to take a chance booking a private excursion on the Shetland Islands. 

Thanks!

We did make it into the Shetland Islands on the June 23rd trip. Amazingly we did not have to skip a single port from Greenwich to Bergen. Think we were just very fortunate! It was the “Into the Midnight Sun” cruise.

Edited by janetcbl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonlion said:

Does anyone know if any of the BIE cruises made it to Lerwick this year?

We also made it the Shetland Islands on our BIE July 1 trip. 

Only missed the Orkney Islands.  The wind and currents prevented us from docking.  We watched from our veranda as the captain tried repeatedly to get close enough tie up.  We'd get within 10 feet only to get pushed out again.  Finally had to give up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonlion said:

Thanks!

See if you can arrange for payment for a private tour only if you make port. We still have a credit for half down on a Shetland private tour from 2019 when the Sun didn’t make it into Lerwick due to the tail end of a hurricane!

We’ve now tried to book a trip to Orkney & Shetland about three times since that miss but Covid or other malady has kept getting in the way.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Thanks 1

We really enjoyed the Stavanger Maritime Museum right on the harbor.  There are several levels in an old building, so it might not work with your knee.  I don't remember whether there was an elevator. 

There was an open air market there where I bought a nice sweater made in Norway as well as some handmade hats.  It was at the end of the harbor in a large square.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moonlion said:

Thanks!

This will be a bit of an unusual recommendation. We have missed Lerwick three times now - once due to weather and twice due to the pandemic. Each time we had booked the North Mainland private tour with Ruth Dale of Scenic Shetland Tours.

https://www.scenicshetland.com/home

Ruth was very highly recommended and was a delight to deal with, despite our cancelling each time. There is no risk to your payment, as she only requires a cash payment once you actually land. In 2020 the cost would have been £220 - lunch was extra if you requested a stop for that.

If you choose to contact her, please tell her that Rob and Sue from Ontario still hope to meet her one day! 🥌🍺

• Thanks 2