Random thoughts about our British Isles cruise

Twitchly

I read that it takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to Gatwick airport from Greenwich. Does that sound correct? We will be using a Viking transfer and our flight is scheduled to leave around 12:15 PM on a Saturday in late June.

26 minutes ago, Ceegeefl said:

I read that it takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to Gatwick airport from Greenwich. Does that sound correct? We will be using a Viking transfer and our flight is scheduled to leave around 12:15 PM on a Saturday in late June.

Absolutely right - depending on traffic between 50 minutes to one hour and fifteen minutes,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Island2Dweller said:

43 minutes from Greenwich to Heathrow???  At 3am on a Sunday morning perhaps, not a chance of achieving that at any other time.

If you are flying to Dublin, go from City (airport code LCY), which is almost within touching distance of Greenwich.  (About four to five miles in reality).  You'll see the airport as you sail up river to the mooring. 

To London City I would leave between 30 minutes to 45 minutes depending on the Blackwall Tunnel traffic.  You have to cross the Thames as the airport is on the other side of the Thames.

I agree that Greenwich to Heathrow is impossible at 43 minutes unless you are on a Motor Bike with quiet roads in the middle of the night.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

To London City I would leave between 30 minutes to 45 minutes depending on the Blackwall Tunnel traffic.  You have to cross the Thames as the airport is on the other side of the Thames.

I agree that Greenwich to Heathrow is impossible at 43 minutes unless you are on a Motor Bike with quiet roads in the middle of the night.

Took us an hour and a half to get from LHR to Greenwich, with a great driver in very heavy traffic.

"I read that it takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to Gatwick airport from Greenwich"

That's a reasonable average but it is not guaranteed, especially if you are trying to do it in weekday rush hour.

Greenwich to Gatwick is incredibly easy by train, with just one change (often a same platform change) at London Bridge.Fare is £9.50 (£17.50 weekday rush hour) if using bank card or phone as your payment device - costs more if you buy a paper ticket.

• Like 1

I agree train is a good alternative - but it rather depends on how much luggage is being carried/wheeled.   Might be worth hopping on the DLR from Cutty Sark to Greenwich Mainline station.  One stop only - frequent trains - shorter walk.

However I see that the original poster is in fact using a Viking transfer.

• Like 1