Different Check-In Time for Passengers in a Single Cabin?

rbxlady

Today is Day 21 leading up to our cruise on the Getaway from Port Canaveral, and I started check-in at 10AM Eastern. I am the first passenger and was able to submit all my information without any issues. I reserved a 9AM check-in time, as we are staying a stone’s throw away the night before. I started checking in my husband, and the app started throwing up error messages. I called NCL, who told me they didn’t know what the problem was, and I’d have to call back on Monday at 9AM to escalate the issue.

I decided a little later to try checking in on a different device and determined that the NCL site was having issues.

Around 3:30PM Eastern, the site went back up, and I was able to continue check-in and got a 9AM check-in time for my husband. My older son (a minor child) was next, and by the time I got to the end of his check-in, 9:30AM was the earliest time slot available. When I got to my younger son (also a minor child), 11AM was the earliest time slot available.

As an aside, it seems really silly to me that there is no option to choose one check-in time for your whole cabin, if everyone is arriving together.

So my question is, does it matter that we have different check-in times? Can we all just go at 9AM, or do we now have to wait for 11AM?

We are booked in the Haven, but for future reference, would it matter if we were not in the Haven?

Thanks in advance!

Before COVID, I never paid any attention to the check in time.  Honestly I don't remember actually picking one before.  I just simply showed up when I showed up.  I just finished checking in for an upcoming cruise and had to pick a time.  There are strong words to scare you into honoring the time, but I still could care less.  I'm not planning my morning to show up in some 30 minute window.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

Before COVID, I never paid any attention to the check in time.  Honestly I don't remember actually picking one before.  I just simply showed up when I showed up.  I just finished checking in for an upcoming cruise and had to pick a time.  There are strong words to scare you into honoring the time, but I still could care less.  I'm not planning my morning to show up in some 30 minute window.  

I mean, I assume we can show up whenever, but you know what they say about assuming, and it would really suck to be told to wait until 11. I figure as Haven passengers they’ll probably let us check in whenever (in which case why give us a check-in time at all?), but I’m curious if it would matter if we weren’t in the Haven.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

When you get your eDocs, there will likely only be one arrival time listed.  Please let us know what that time is.

I hope so! It’s been almost two hours since I completed check-in, and I have nothing from NCL in my e-mail (or my junk mail). The site appears to be having issues again, though. When I click on my reservation for this cruise, it takes me to a NCL error page.

But yes, when I get them, I will definitely update.

50 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

I hope so! It’s been almost two hours since I completed check-in, and I have nothing from NCL in my e-mail (or my junk mail). The site appears to be having issues again, though. When I click on my reservation for this cruise, it takes me to a NCL error page.

But yes, when I get them, I will definitely update.

You should have your edocs in the morning. Check in times were used post Covid to stagger arrivals at the port. But in 6 cruises, in my experience, only once were they ever enforced. And I have never been Haven. 

• Thanks 1

Don't stress it. Haven check-in times don't matter. You can come anytime. Out of two cruises at the MCT (Manhattan) this year, one did adhere to the check-in times (Sept.). The April cruise did not. Haven cruisers could come in regardless of check-in time.

• Thanks 1

During COVID, they made people choose check-in times in order to "level load" the amount of people on the pier at any given time.  I'm not sure it was ever enforced all that strictly.  They still ask but I've not heard about anyone being turned away.  I've shown up early and didn't have an issue.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

You should have your edocs in the morning. Check in times were used post Covid to stagger arrivals at the port. But in 6 cruises, in my experience, only once were they ever enforced. And I have never been Haven. 

Thank you— the site is still having issues when I click on this reservation, which might explain why I still do not have edocs, but I feel pretty comfortable now that we won’t get turned away, regardless of Haven booking, if we arrive at 9.

I’ll probably end up kicking myself for choosing 9 because then I’ll feel rushed anyway, or the shuttle from the hotel won’t be ready to go, or something that will make 9AM a bad idea anyway. Last time we cruised (12 years ago, pre-kids), my husband and I used to aim for 11 and would have a slow morning.

I will, however, still update when the edocs show up to see if they put us all checking in at one time.

This has happened to us many times. Like you , we were all in the same cabin. When we got to the pier the gentleman checking docs at the door said "As long as you are all in the same cabin, you can all check in at the first time you reserved"

• Thanks 1

I just went back on to the NCL site and was able to look at my edocs, although I still haven’t gotten any e-mails. It shows a 9AM check-in time for me and my husband, 9:30 for our older son, and 11AM for our younger son.

However, y’all have convinced me that it doesn’t really matter. The shuttle from our hotel may not even get us there by 9 anyway, so who knows what will actually happen.

I appreciate all the responses that set my mind at ease! Thanks again!

I'd be more concerned about the lines/wait at 9AM anyway.  I usually try to get to the port around Noon.  There is rarely a line at that time (and they have definitely started boarding by then), so I'm able to immediately check in, get on board and have lunch, and the rooms are ready pretty much after I finish lunch.  And since I always carry on my bags, I can unpack and be in full vacation mode long before we take off.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rbxlady said:

I just went back on to the NCL site and was able to look at my edocs, although I still haven’t gotten any e-mails. It shows a 9AM check-in time for me and my husband, 9:30 for our older son, and 11AM for our younger son.

However, y’all have convinced me that it doesn’t really matter. The shuttle from our hotel may not even get us there by 9 anyway, so who knows what will actually happen.

I appreciate all the responses that set my mind at ease! Thanks again!

I am not sure what email you are waiting for. Once you can see your edocs, that's all you need.

14 hours ago, nferr said:

They're not going to make your kids wait outside while you board the ship lol. Don't worry about it.

This did make me chuckle, but to be clear, I wasn’t actually worried about that 🙂 I didn’t know if they would make us all come back at the latest time.

If I were a really mean mom, I could tell them this is what’s happening and that we are going on the water slides without them.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

I'd be more concerned about the lines/wait at 9AM anyway.  I usually try to get to the port around Noon.  There is rarely a line at that time (and they have definitely started boarding by then), so I'm able to immediately check in, get on board and have lunch, and the rooms are ready pretty much after I finish lunch.  And since I always carry on my bags, I can unpack and be in full vacation mode long before we take off.

I really only wanted an early check-in time so we can show up and not be told we have to wait. Our hotel check-out time is noon, so we can have a slow morning if we really want to. I’ve read here that we’ll be able to drop our carry-ons in our cabin and then explore the ship or hang in the Haven lounge, but I agree that it’s more fun to get on the ship, eat lunch, then hang in your cabin for a few and unpack before exploring the ship and slipping into vacation mode.

Edited by rbxlady
Deleted a word accidentally

11 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I am not sure what email you are waiting for. Once you can see your edocs, that's all you need.

I thought there would be an e-mail alerting me to the edocs. After I finished check-in, the site said I would receive a notification that they were available.

I’m new to NCL, and it’s been 12 years since I cruised on any cruise line, so a lot has changed since then. Sorry for the confusion.