Teen Question

flhokie

We are considering a return to Princess next summer. Lately, we've cruised Royal Caribbean and 11 year old daughter loves it. Most recently, she was able to age up to the teen program on Royal Caribbean (11 1/2, middle school, taller than most adult women). This worked out great for her and us. 

If we do the Princess cruise, she would be 12 1/2. The Princess website says Camp Discovery is for ages 3-11 and teen program is 12-17, but I've read comments that only 13-17 are allowed in the teen program. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

I just double checked the Princess website to see if they changed the age groups from when my kids were kids/teens (they did restructure the program since then). According to the website, the teen "Beach Club" is for 13-17 years old. In my experience, Princess is not known for allowing kids to "move up". Again, my sons are now 24 and 23, so I can't for sure that things haven't changed.

19 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

I just double checked the Princess website to see if they changed the age groups from when my kids were kids/teens (they did restructure the program since then). According to the website, the teen "Beach Club" is for 13-17 years old. In my experience, Princess is not known for allowing kids to "move up". Again, my sons are now 24 and 23, so I can't for sure that things haven't changed.

Princess used to be strict about not letting age groups mix, but I don't know if they still maintain the same standard.  You should call and ask.

Thanks. I will call as this will determine if we move forward with the cruise. Where are you seeing 13-17?  In the family cruise FAQ on the Princess site it says 12-17….from the site…
Leave your worries behind as you set sail on an
adventure the whole family will love.
Preparing for Your Cruise
Onboard Activities
Onboard Activities
What is there for kids and teens to do with and
without supervision on board?
Our Camp Discovery Youth Program for kids ages 3-11
will keep little ones entertained all day and evening.
To participate independently, children must be age 3+
and potty trained. Our youth centers are operated by
experienced staff, dedicated to keeping our youngest
guests safe and happy. Our Beach House Teen Lounge
is available for teens ages 12-17, with fun activities
hosted by our staff.
Family activities include festivals, entertainment,
Discovery at SEA experiences such as Stargazing,
dining events and, of course, Movies Under the Stars®
Each cruise may have slightly different programs.
Please contact us with any questions or reservations
for specific childcare and family activities.
COVID-19 Guidelines
• Unfortunately, we will not be offering port day
lunch service or dining events.
• Masks required when visiting the youth and teen
centers.

Just a word of advice/warning. I don't know what the age groups are now but customer service reps tend to give you the answer you want. You may call and be told it won't be an issue to move up but the decision will be made by the staff on the ship.  This happened to us years ago on Carnival.  We were disappointed (kids wanted to be in the same group) at first, but it worked out. Both of my boys found friends in their group and had a fun time.

"Our youth centers are operated by
experienced staff, dedicated to keeping our youngest
guests safe and happy. Our Beach House Teen Lounge
is available for teens ages 12-17, with fun activities
hosted by our staff."

I would bring a copy of this with you. As the previous poster mentioned many of these  decisions are made by the youth staff on board. Call center personnel only know the same information that you read on the Princess site. Since you mention you are planning for next summer I expect you are thinking about Alaska. Expect lots of youth and families on an Alaska trip.

I went to Princess->On board our ships->Kids, teens, and families

When you scroll down from there under "Teen Cruise Activities 13-17" it states:

The Beach House — Ages 13-17

This contemporary beach-themed lounge is "the" place for teens to hang out, socialize and connect.

(Sorry for formatting, that it how it is on the Princess site). I also clicked on the links for the registration information (below information about the teen program) and it states that the teen center is 13-17

14 hours ago, mjmalino said:

This contemporary beach-themed lounge is "the" place for teens to hang out, socialize and connect.

(Sorry for formatting, that it how it is on the Princess site). I also clicked on the links for the registration information (below information about the teen program) and it states that the teen center is 13-17

I went to onboard our ships, visit the traveling with family FAQ, age appropriate customized programs. You will find the text mentioned in post #6. This differs from what you found. Princess' information is inconsistent and does not help the poster very much. 

There is a discrepancy on the Princess website. I've always understood the beach house to be for teenagers 13-17. Perhaps the FAQ page is a typo? This is a hard one as it certainly suggests twelve year olds are allowed be with the teenagers. Princess customer service might give you one answer but the final answer will be on the ship and by the head of the kids program. 

I asked my grandsons who were last on a ship in 2019, so there is that.  They told me the age cutoff was 13 and they were sure about it since this was their first time in the teen club and they had turned 13 earlier that year.  Of course, who knows what has changed since then.  

19 hours ago, mjmalino said:

Just off the Sapphire a couple of days ago and checked out that area for my brother's grandkids and a possible future cruise with them and the sign on the door to The Beach House said 13-17, which would not have worked out because one of them is 12YO.

ETA: I would not rely on customer service for accurate information, as another poster said, they tell you what you want to hear.

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 1