Newport Free Bus

Tedferg

We were late into Newport after a departure delay in NYC. The Newport Travel Tour was nowhere to be seen and no notification. Also, their directions were a bit confusing, just an address on Great America Drive. About three buildings to the left as you reach the pier is the Transportation Center, trollies and regular buses leave from there. The free town bus, I think number 67, takes the same route as the trolley, driver narrates and describes each stop. I would not pay for private trolley.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

The free town bus, I think number 67, takes the same route as the trolley, driver narrates and describes each stop. I would not pay for private trolley.

The RIPTA fare-free bus, route 67, regularly uses a replica trolley vehicle for service. I was not aware of any privately-operated replica trolley service. Can you tell us anything about the competing private company?

11 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

I looked I looked I looked. THANK YOU!!!

Keep in mind, however, that the service is free only in summer, end of May through the end of October. Starting November 1, 2022, regular $2.00 fares apply.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

We are in Newport late September on MSC Meraviglia, arriving at 7 a.m. and departing 4 p.m. Is Newport a tender port or is the ship docked?  We are elderly and cannot do long walks, so we are interested in Trolley #67 and also DH would enjoy the auto museum.  How far is the Transport Center where we catch Bus 67 from the ship terminal or tender area?  Thanks for any advice. 

On 2/24/2023 at 10:46 PM, mimi7ccr said:

We are in Newport late September on MSC Meraviglia, arriving at 7 a.m. and departing 4 p.m. Is Newport a tender port or is the ship docked?  We are elderly and cannot do long walks, so we are interested in Trolley #67 and also DH would enjoy the auto museum.  How far is the Transport Center where we catch Bus 67 from the ship terminal or tender area?  Thanks for any advice. 

I have read that Newport is a tender port.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 7:46 PM, mimi7ccr said:

DH would enjoy the auto museum

Be sure to watch some Jay Leno “Audrain mansions and motorcars” episodes on YouTube before you go. They showcase the mansions and the motorcars and the roads etc around Newport beautifully! Check the Audrain museum website as what they have on display changes and when we were there last year it wasn’t a collection of much interest to us (and we wouldn’t have had time anyway). Enjoy!

On 2/24/2023 at 10:46 PM, mimi7ccr said:

How far is the Transport Center where we catch Bus 67 from the ship terminal or tender area?

Less than one thousand feet. The attached satellite photograph shows Perrotti Park, where the vessel tenders ordinarily bring passengers, at the bottom of this view. The north-south street is America's Cup Avenue. Walk north along America's Cup Avenue, from Perrotti Park, crossing both the Long Wharf Mall and West Marlbogough Street, to the triangular shaped building opposite the baseball field. That is the Newport Gateway transportation and visitors center, at which the no. 67 bus departs from bus stop "A."

Newport Map.jpg

• Like 1