The "Liberty Smell"...always or once in a while???

tweak89

So, we have a free Cheers/Bottomless Bubbles offer and since Galveston cruises seem to only go on sale once a year, we are looking at cruising out of Orlando.  We've been on the Liberty before when it was in Galveston with no issue, but keep seeing threads and posts (elsewhere) about the sewage smell on the lower decks.  Is this a prevalent issue or just occasional?   Anyone whose dealt with it, have you ever gotten an explanation and or compensation for dealing with it?

The best deals seem to all be on the Liberty, but we are hesitant to book because of the recent smell issues.

1 hour ago, tweak89 said:

So, we have a free Cheers/Bottomless Bubbles offer and since Galveston cruises seem to only go on sale once a year, we are looking at cruising out of Orlando.  We've been on the Liberty before when it was in Galveston with no issue, but keep seeing threads and posts (elsewhere) about the sewage smell on the lower decks.  Is this a prevalent issue or just occasional?   Anyone whose dealt with it, have you ever gotten an explanation and or compensation for dealing with it?

The best deals seem to all be on the Liberty, but we are hesitant to book because of the recent smell issues.

Two months ago we were on the lowest deck mid ship. No smell at all.

Tbh i think this is a semi common occurrence on every ship. I even smelled it alittle bit on the mardi gras when i was on it recently. Nothing major but i remember going through deck 4 and smelling it. I cant tell you specifically if i smelled on the liberty but honestly i dont think its that big of a deal.

Maybe we've just been lucky, but we've only done 5 cruises, so maybe it's just a matter of time.  The main reason I asked specifically about the Liberty is because I've seen it mentioned on more than one occasion.

This is usually the result of an S trap in the plumbing drying out. Once water is returned to the trap the smell dissipates. If this is in your cabin look for the floor drain in the bathroom and pour a cup of water down it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1