Cozumel Cabs

BizzyAr1

If that is from last month, then they have mostly lowered the price from the port north to the downtown area.  It used to be $8.00.  This sign says $7.00 for several places along that route.  They appear to have raised the price to $9.00 for two places in the formerly $8.00 zone.

Guest BasicSailor
6 hours ago, d-lite-n-cruisin said:

Cozumel.jpeg

I see they have now included Allegro Resort and a few others as well.  The hotel charges a daily rate for cruisers.

See the source image

Playa Azul use to be a nice hidden (Free) resort to use for cruise passengers.

Edited by BasicSailor

4 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

I see they have now included Allegro Resort and a few others as well.  The hotel charges a daily rate for cruisers.

See the source image

Playa Azul use to be a nice hidden (Free) resort to use for cruise passengers.

Allegra has been on some of the lists for some time but I am not sure which pier this list is from.

I am not sure when Allegra plans to reopen following the fire in the summer.

Playa Azul Beach Club is nice but small. It charges a a minimum consumption fee now.

Edited by c-leg5

Guest BasicSailor
6 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Allegra has been on some of the lists for some time but I am not sure which pier this list is from.

I am not sure when Allegra plans to reopen following the fire in the summer.

Playa Azul Beach Club is nice but small. It charges a a minimum consumption fee now.

Allegro use to be Holiday Village White Sands.  Several years later became Allegro. It would take a huge fire to put them out of business even the main complex could easily be moved to an accommodating building. Any info on this fire?  Azul had to open up with a few charges. Small but beautiful.

2 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

Allegro use to be Holiday Village White Sands.  Several years later became Allegro. It would take a huge fire to put them out of business even the main complex could easily be moved to an accommodating building. Any info on this fire?  Azul had to open up with a few charges. Small but beautiful.

There was a report at the time on TA forum, i think in August. I have heard  plans to reopen end of November, end of December, but who knows?

On 10/6/2022 at 2:15 PM, Tiger0613 said:

If that is from last month, then they have mostly lowered the price from the port north to the downtown area.  It used to be $8.00.  This sign says $7.00 for several places along that route.  They appear to have raised the price to $9.00 for two places in the formerly $8.00 zone.

Some of the prices struck me as odd too which is why I asked which pier.

I assume you mean southern piers of Puerta Maya and International?

Prices are always higher from inside the port but many taxis will also try those prices outside the gates too.

This thread was originally posted on the Carnival board, so I'd assume the OP was asking about Puerto Maya.

And the poster who posted the picture posted it before he thread was moved, so I'd assume it was a Carnival cruiser answering another Carnival cruiser.

3 hours ago, bguppies said:

This thread was originally posted on the Carnival board, so I'd assume the OP was asking about Puerto Maya.

And the poster who posted the picture posted it before he thread was moved, so I'd assume it was a Carnival cruiser answering another Carnival cruiser.

Yes. This is a question from a Carnival cruiser (ME!) 😁. I'm thinking we will be at the Puerto Maya pier, where Pancho's Backyard is? 

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Some of the prices struck me as odd too which is why I asked which pier.

I assume you mean southern piers of Puerta Maya and International?

Prices are always higher from inside the port but many taxis will also try those prices outside the gates too.

Yes, I was asking about at the pier at Puerta Maya. We will be on Vista.  Would the $8 price be accurate for a ride to downtown? 

1 hour ago, BizzyAr1 said:

Yes. This is a question from a Carnival cruiser (ME!) 😁. I'm thinking we will be at the Puerto Maya pier, where Pancho's Backyard is? 

There is a 2nd Panchos Backyard right at the Purto Maya pier.

I've only eaten at the original one downtown like 10-15 years ago. (was very good)

Haven't had a chance to try the new Panchos since Puerto Maya opened. (even though I've probably docked there 5-6 times since it opened.)

But always hit Los Cinco Soles next door for Vanilla every trip to Cozumel.

The $17 to Nachi Cocum (where we go EVERY trip to Cozumel) was accurate the last time we went to Cozumel. (honestly surprised it hasn't gone up at least a bit)

I can't imagine it would be more than $10 to downtown now if it was $8.

We plan on budgeting $20 to Nachi in December to be on the safe side.

On 10/8/2022 at 8:06 AM, BizzyAr1 said:

Yes, I was asking about at the pier at Puerta Maya. We will be on Vista.  Would the $8 price be accurate for a ride to downtown? 

We have never actually docked at Puerta Maya, only International (next door) and Punta Langosta in town. I have no reason to believe the PP didn’t take the above photo there in September as they claim but this  report from  September 2022 is more what I would have expected.

https://www.cruzely.com/complete-list-of-cozumel-taxi-rates/

Yes, from inside the port I would expect to pay $8 for a cab for up to 4 people.

What irks me about Cozumel, on a cruise ship day, is they  will bundle you in a larger vehicle and if you are an unrelated party they will charge, for example $8 “per party” to town, where there are actual official prices for a larger vehicle carrying 8 people as shown on above list. This is why we will often walk out onto the street and get a taxi just for us. Otherwise we pay and don’t tip. Tipping is not actually expected for taxis in Mexico but has become the expected norm from American cruisers in places like Cozumel. Small bills are essential to negotiate a fare as there will conveniently be no change, so a $8 fare automatically becomes $10, $17 becomes $20 etc.

As a matter of interest when we stay on the island we will pay 100 pesos ($5) or $6 routinely for the same trip. I have no doubt locals will pay even less than  that. 

22 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

We have never actually docked at Puerta Maya, only International (next door) and Punta Langosta in town. I have no reason to believe the PP didn’t take the above photo there in September as they claim but this  report from  September 2022 is more what I would have expected.

https://www.cruzely.com/complete-list-of-cozumel-taxi-rates/

Yes, from inside the port I would expect to pay $8 for a cab for up to 4 people.

What irks me about Cozumel, on a cruise ship day, is they  will bundle you in a larger vehicle and if you are an unrelated party they will charge, for example $8 “per party” to town, where there are actual official prices for a larger vehicle carrying 8 people as shown on above list. This is why we will often walk out onto the street and get a taxi just for us. Otherwise we pay and don’t tip. Tipping is not actually expected for taxis in Mexico but has become the expected norm from American cruisers in places like Cozumel. Small bills are essential to negotiate a fare as there will conveniently be no change, so a $8 fare automatically becomes $10, $17 becomes $20 etc.

As a matter of interest when we stay on the island we will pay 100 pesos ($5) or $6 routinely for the same trip. I have no doubt locals will pay even less than  that. 

All good to know! Thanks!

Odd question: 

These prices are listed in US dollars.  Will taxi drivers accept pesos?  I ask because my husband recently found an envelope full of pesos we'd set aside from a former trip -- and we'd like to use them.  

While I'm asking, we're planning to spend the day at Chankanaab Park -- will they accept pesos at the ticket gate?  for food and drink?  

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.