REVIEW: 7 day MSC Divina RT from Port Canaveral June 26-July 3, 2022

missync

A little about this cruise/me before I start:

• This cruise was in June/July 2022 so keep in mind that a lot of the covid protocols have probably changed since then (it's now October 2022)
  • 7 day out of Port Canaveral 
  • drove to Florida from NC (8ish hours but took about 10 on the way down due to traffic)
  • stayed the night before in Cocoa Beach
  • first time on MSC (have cruised RC, Princess, Carnival, and Holland America previously)
  • 10th cruise overall 
  • 5 adults ranging from 23-80

We left NC the day before the cruise.  Trip is supposed to take about 8 hours but due to crazy traffic it took more like 10 which was annoying.  Stopped at Buc-ee's on the way down...that place is an experience all in itself.  If you've never been...go!!  It's a gas station on steroids but the food is great and they have everything you can think of there.  I had been to a few in Texas so I kind of knew what to expect but it was my mom's first time and I think she was a little overwhelmed to say the least.  

I highly suggest the dark chocolate pecans, beaver tails, cinnamon beaver nuggets, and pulled pork sandwich (though there was a lot of fat in there and I'm not a fan of that).  But I'm pretty sure you aren't reading this to hear about Buc-ee's so I'll move on. 

We finally got to our hotel in Cocoa - Days Inn Cruiseport West.  It's about 15 minutes from the port.  They have a cruise and park package that's only available if you call.  It was approximately $140 for the night for 2 people but you can park your car for the week for free.  They have a shuttle that isn't free but the cruise and park package includes shuttle tickets for 2.  more people would be more for the shuttle tickets.  HOWEVER, we didn't find out until we got there that the shuttle only runs once on Sundays.  MSC was assigning check in times for embarkation (I believe due to covid so I don't know if that is still happening) and our time was 9:30am.  Shuttle was only running at 10:30.  so we decided to get an Uber.  it was about $30 to get there.  annoying but we didn't want to be late.  apparently other days there are more shuttle times but you have to schedule ahead which we did for both directions...like I said, annoying.  FYI, it's 2 floors with no elevators and the hallways are outside so be aware if you have a lot of luggage to carry up stairs.  

Hotel is decent but nothing too exciting.  It was clean and I felt safe but it's not going to win any awards.  Overall I would stay there again.  

Embarkation Day! 

Uber finally arrived after the app cancelled on us twice and it's was a quick trip to the port.  They drop you off right at front and, as usual, the porters rush you to get your luggage and get out of the way.  It was a smooth transition and we were headed inside.  Masks were recommended but not required (this was June 2022 so no idea about now) and was about half and half as to who was wearing them.  You had to show passports, negative covid test within 24-48 hours, and covid vaccination card.  pretty quick and easy.  they broke up the boarding groups to cut down on the number of people inside at any given time.  it was quite nice actually and I wouldn't be mad if that continued indefinitely.  

We got our room keys and then were on board in a matter of minutes.  

The Divina is BEAUTIFUL!!  One of the fancier ships I've ever been on honestly in terms of looks.  the sparkly staircase in the atrium was stunning and made for some great pictures.  definite gave me fancy vibes and was a good first look when you get on board.  we wandered around the ship for a bit to see where everything was and then immediately went to the buffet.  I didn't go to the buffet often except for breakfast because I'm personally a fan of MDR on all ships so I can't tell you how it varies day to day but the first picture is what I had for lunch this first day.  (pictures are not loading so I'll figure that out and add them as soon as I can.

After we ate, we went up on deck and looked around the ship more and then found a lounge to relax for a bit.  Eventually we were able to get into our room and unpacked a bit before dinner.  

and now my favorite part...THE FOOD!!!  if you want to know about food on cruises, I'm your gal 😁

I'm going to continue adding to this as I can but it will probably take me several days...sorry!  But feel free to ask questions, I'll do my best to answer!  

pizza was decent but not spectacular (though I did eat it pretty much every night for a late night snack 🤣).  veggies were delicious and just slightly crunchy.  fish was cooked really nicely but that pasta salad was GREAT!  and you can never go wrong with fresh cut fruit.  There were so many other options but this was where I started. 

buffet.jpg

FYI for the meals, some of them are mine and some aren't.  We shared a lot so we could all try stuff.  If you didn't already know, you can order more than one entree/app/dessert or seconds of something if you want.  

Day 1 dinner (menus attached):

Spanish Delights - basically just sausage and cheese.  it was good but nothing exciting

spring rolls - LOVED them!!  very crispy and the sauce was kind of sweet.  would definitely get again. 

potato gnocci - not much flavor.  sauce was good but overall sort of bland

rollo de cochinillo y patatas bravas - mine was pretty much all fat so I didn't eat it (HATE fat on meat).  others in my party tried it and said it had great flavor but just too much fat though mine had the most of the 3 at the table

blackened grouper - very good but again, not a lot of flavor.  veggies were great and the pineapple was a lovely touch

menu day 1.jpg

dessert 1.jpg

spanish delights.jpg

spring rolls.jpg

potato gnocci.jpg

rollo de cochinillo y patatas bravas.jpg

blackened grouper.jpg

Day 1 dessert:

coconut pisachio dacquois - AMAZING!!!  so light and sweet but not too sweet.  very fresh tasting. one of my favorites of the cruise

brownie stack - very tasty and chocolate overload but a little too thick in texture

creama catalana - kind of custardy with a creme brulee flavor.  good but just kind of weird.  yes it was soupy on top

coconut pistachio dacquoise.jpg

brownie stack.jpg

creama catalana.jpg

Day 1 continued - 

we went to the show after dinner.  music was too loud so you could barely hear the singers over the background music but overall the show was decent.  then it was name that tune and karaoke...both were average.  

then bed time.  Private island tomorrow!!

Day 2 - Ocean Cay

Possibly the best thing about this cruise was that it was only about a 1/3 full (according to staff members).  That meant the island was practically empty...BONUS!!!!

Attached are pictures of the ship at the island and a little of the island.  Sadly the only other pictures I took of the island itself have myself or my family in them and I don't like to post those so publicly.  

The island is beautiful and it's crazy to think that this was uninhabited until recently.  you can see that in a few years this island will be GORGEOUS!  once the trees get a little bigger and things grow up more.  Can't wait to see it again in a few years

there is a buffet lunch on the island (forgot to take pictures) that was decent.  it was better the first day than the second but the food was identical both days.  burgers, fish, veggies, fries, pasta salads, and some desserts.  overall decent but didn't wow anyone.  

there are food trucks on the island that were not free.  some weren't open and my guess is because the ship wasn't full but i don't know that for sure.  didn't try those...I'm cheap 😀

chairs on the island are free, umbrellas aren't but we found a place both days with little trees so we had a little shade if we wanted it.  water was fairly clear but snorkeling was pretty much non-existent.  I mean you CAN snorkle from the beach...but you aren't going to see much unless you take a tour.  

Fun day but then back on the ship to shower and change for dinner in MDR

front of ship.jpg

side of ship.jpg

island.jpg

large ship.jpg

lighthouse.jpg

lighthouse at night.jpg

ship at night.jpg

• Like 1

Day 2 Cont:

Caprese style mozzarella and tomato stack - cheese was very tasty.  tomatoes were fresh but didn't stand out

grilled green asparagus - prosciutto was DELICIOUS!!!  salty and tender without being floppy.  asparagus was cooked perfectly.  definitely a top 5 favorite app.

swordfish - SUPER disappointing.  I've only ever had swordfish once in my life (prior to this) and it was one of my favorite meals ever.  This had very little flavor.  veggies were good though.  

menu day 2.jpg

dessert 2.jpg

caprese mozzarella and tomato stack.jpg

grilled green asparagus.jpg

swordfish.jpg

Day 2 dessert:

Gateau opera - very smooth and chocolately without being too over powering.  loved it!

chantilly cream - basically whipped cream.  it was so light and creamy. 

absolutely would get both again

Apple strudel - good but nothing exciting.  nice light crunch to the apples.  pastry was good but a little mushy on the bottom.  needed to be warmer and add some ice cream.  wouldn't kick it out of bed though 😉

gateau opera.jpg

gateau opera 2.jpg

chantilly cream.jpg

apple strudel.jpg

Day 2 cont - 

after dinner we went to the show.  honestly don't remember what show it was but all of them were pretty much the same.  music too loud to hear the singers, same format.  decent talent. 

then we went off the ship for the lighthouse show which was really neat.  it was a beautiful night with a light breeze and just lovely to sit and watch the show and enjoy the breeze and sound of the waves.  they had a DJ after the light show which was fun but they tried to do "line dances" to EVERY. SINGLE. SONG.  that got annoying.  cupid shuffle, wobble, cha cha slide, sure.  but not every song needs a choreographed dance.  just my two cents.  

back on the ship for some live music in one of the lounges and then karaoke and another late night snack at the buffett.  they have pizza every night and usually some little sandwiches and a few desserts depending on what time you get there.  if it's late, it's usually just pizza and cookies. 

Then bed time!

• Like 1

Day 3 - Ocean Cay again

On this cruise we stayed overnight at Ocean Cay and had a second day there but left around 5pm.  We went to a different part of the island this time.  still beautiful and, like I said before, lunch was the same at the buffet.  decent but nothing too exciting.  the pasta salad though...YES!!!  

dinner tonight:

watermelon and feta salad - good but literally just watermelon and feta

chicken crocquettes (not mine) - said they were good and basically just chicken nuggets but better

octopus (not mine) - said it was just average.  not a ton of flavor and really chewy. 

lobster bisque - tasty.  would have been better with a few chunks of lobster or vegetables but had a good flavor.

salmon koulibiac - DELICIOUS.  possibly my favorite meal on the ship.  kind of like a beef wellington but with salmon.  pastry was flaky and sauce was good.  could have used just a tad more flavor 

risotto - meh.  didn't really taste like anything.  very disappointed.  

menu day 3.jpg

watermelon and feta.jpg

chicken croquettes.jpg

octopus and pickled veg.jpg

lobster bisque.jpg

salmon koulibiac.jpg

risotto.jpg

Day 3 Dessert

chocolate duo cake - light and fluffy.  good chocolatey flavor.  berries were good but didn't really add to it exactly.  didn't seem like they fit.

coconut cake - SOOOOO good!!!  sweet but not too sweet and not overpoweringly coconut.  

cherry clafoutis - just custard with berries in it.  good but a little eggy.  needed something else with it like a sauce or something.  

dessert 3.jpg

chocolate duo cake.jpg

coconut cake.jpg

cherry clafoutis cream.jpg

Day 3 cont:

after dinner we went to the show...again no idea what the show was but since they were pretty much all the same, i'll move on. 

name that tune and then sat on the deck for a bit followed by live music in one of the lounges.  

late night snack of pizza and then to bed.  

Day 4 Sea Day:

went to breakfast at the buffet.  unfortunately I didn't take any pictures and I'm really bummed that I didn't but a couple things to note about buffet breakfast:

1) GET THE FRENCH TOAST.  it's huge fluffy triangles (think 3x the width of texas toast).  I got it every day

2) eggs benedict is every other day.  

3) get the berry compote for said french toast along with whipped cream.  you'll thank me later.

4) nutella on the french toast is also good but not even in the same league as the berries. 

5) banana pancakes were just ok

6) fresh fruit!!

Other than the eggs benedict and huevos ranchers and a few other items, the menu stays the same pretty much every day which was sad.  I would have loved to see some variety.  

GET THE FRENCH TOAST with berries and cream.  You're welcome! 😛

• Like 1

Day 4 cont:

I sat by the pool all day but there were other activities on board.  I didn't have to fight for a seat close to the pool which was AWESOME and again goes back to one of the best things about this cruise...it wasn't full.  I'm now spoiled for any other cruise after this.  the entertainment around the pool was the usual...DJ, games, etc.  There is a movie screen but it's too low to really see anything and the quality wasn't great so the few games they had that required the screen were hard to play.  I wasn't really interested in all that but just fyi. 

Went to lunch in the MDR

Spinach and artichoke dip - good but a little too blended.  I like chunks.  but there was A LOT of dip and only about 6 pita chips.  tasted good though

penne  with shrimp -quite tasty and had a little kick.  needed a little more flavor though.  I added some salt which helped but it was still missing something. 

fish and chips - delicious!!  fish was nice and crunchy and fries were good as well.  

boston cream pie - AMAZING!  light and sweet without being too sweet.  very creamy.  

caramel cheesecake - good but the caramel sauce was a little too light in flavor.  berry cheesecake that my nephew got was better. 

flan - basic flan.  custardy and sweet.  ok but nothing to write home about

lunch menu day 4.jpg

spinach dip.jpg

penne with shrimp arrabbiata.jpg

fish and chips.jpg

lunch dessert 4.jpg

boston cream pie.jpg

caramel cheesecake.jpg

creme caramel flan.jpg

Day 4 cont:

didn't do anything other than sit by the pool and then nap before dinner but here's the dinner selections tonight...

greek salad - basic but good

barramundi - ok.  not too fishy but also not much taste.  potatoes were good though

lobster ravioli - not much flavor.  would be better with more lobster inside.  needed more sauce. 

peanut butter pie - SOOOOO good!  very peanut buttery without being overpowering.  sweet but not too sweet

royal cake - very chocolatey but good and not too sweet. 

pineapple salad - literally just pinapple chunks with a little bit of coconut shreds.  didn't taste like mint at all.  not sure why this was a specialty dessert as it was just fruit but it was good

after dinner was the same as every night...show, name that tune, karaoke, late night snack, bed. 

menu day 4.jpg

greek salad.jpg

barramundi fillet.jpg

lobster ravioli.jpg

dessert 4.jpg

peanut butter pie.jpg

royal cake.jpg

mint flavored pineapple salad.jpg

Day 5 - Costa Maya, Mexico

early breakfast at the buffet.  GET THE FRENCH TOAST!  and then we got off the ship to head into Costa Maya.  the picture is from the port looking back at the ship.  

as soon as you get into the port it's BUSY!!  super crazy busy.  There was at least 1 other ship there that day and it was just people everywhere.  tons of shops, restaurants, bars, and even a starbucks.  

There is also a large pool area in the middle.  that area was so freakin busy, it was annoying.  We kept walking towards the water (where that picture was taken) and the first thing I noticed...the smell!  It smelled TERRIBLE!  Like dead fish and slightly sewage smelling.  There was also a ton of dark brown algae on the banks that the waves were pushing up onto the wall.  

so the area by where that picture was taken is actually super nice.  it's a "private" beach with a bar and a lazy river.  it says you have to order food or drinks to sit there so we planned on it but a waiter never actually came over to ask before we eventually left due to the smell.  the lazy river was freezing cold and the water was dirty.  the whole thing was slightly run down but it was truly the smell that ruined everything.  over farther there are dolphins where you can do a dolphin encounter (for a fee) but it was a pretty small area so I felt bad for the dolphins. 

overall, not a fan of Costa Maya port.  My brother had been there before and said the smell wasn't there so I'm guessing that algae really ruined the experience. 

costa maya.jpg

• Like 1

Day 5 cont:

I was ready to get back on the ship (at like 11am) but we decided to go out of the port and explore a little.  we got in a taxi to Mahahual which was about a 10 minute trip over an extremely bumpy road.  taxi was about $15.  Mahahual was right on the water and surprisingly, there was no smell.  there were a few little restaurants and shops but it was mostly little make shift stands and carts  with people selling food and trinkets.  lots of vendors coming around trying to sell you on stuff but that's pretty standard in most places especially in Mexico in my experience.  we were taken to a "private" area that you are required to buy food and/or drinks but it came with chairs and an umbrella if you wanted it.  the guys were super nice and very helpful.  we got guacamole, pico, and chips along with some drinks.  food was delicious though maybe a little pricy considering ($23 for 1 bottled water, 1 diet coke, and guac and chips).  they took my money to "make change" and then disappeared for awhile which I wasn't a fan of.  I'm guessing they were hoping I would just leave but I eventually asked again and they brought my change.  it wasn't the correct amount but I was planning on leaving a tip anyways so I just went with it.  make sure you check on everything though because I'm sure people will try to scam you if you let them. 

most of the shops/stalls had the exact same things but we still looked around awhile before getting back in a taxi and heading to the port.  taxis are everywhere so super easy to find.  

once back at the port, we shopped a little and then got back on the ship to shower and nap before dinner.  

Day 5 Dinner

zucchini mille-feuille - basically a zucchini lasagna.  good but not a lot of flavor.  adding salt helped some

crab cakes - very good but sooooo small.  nice and crunchy with good flavor.  i personally didn't care for the sauce but I hate mustard so...

asparagus soup - ok.  not a lot of flavor and had tapioca pearls in it which was sort of odd for a soup.  didn't hate it but wouldn't get again. 

giant shrimp - good but not a lot of flavor (yes I say that a lot).  don't love the heads still being on them but that's a personal preference.  it was good though

shrimp ravioli - not much flavor.  not much filling.  not much sauce.  didn't taste bad though

image.thumb.jpeg.06a5ae7777d9af01fed426d9fcd9a1c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.95826d77b07d871c0c4c6e2cf2cfbd9e.jpeg

maryland crab cakes.jpg

asparagus soup.jpg

giant shrip fra diavolo.jpg

ravioli with shrimp filling.jpg

Day 5 Dessert:

vanilla cream - kind of a custard underneath the berry sauce.  it was missing something but it tasted pretty good.  just a little underwhelming

coconut tapioca - very good flavor but it was just pudding. 

dulce de leche - very good.  sweet and flavorful and very moist.  

after dinner...you guessed it.  show, name that tune, but no karaoke tonight.  

we did switch it up and go to the casino for a bit.  I lost $40 and decided to be done.  my nephew won $55 on his first time ever in a casino.  

FUN FACT for the Divina (maybe all MSC ships??!?!?!?!) - there is a little cafe called the Piazza del Doge right outside the theatre (near the shops) on Deck 6 I think that has FREE snacks.  We didn't realize they were free until Day 5 and then proceeded to head there most nights for a snack.  It's only open til a set time at night but had little sandwiches and little desserts.  PERFECT for a late night snack.  The tuna sandwiches were excellent and they usually had slices of fancy cakes and small desserts, sometimes smaller versions of what was in the MDR and then usually some other things.  

sadly, I forgot to take pictures of this too but definitely go check it out!  delightful little snack at night if you need/want it

dessert 5.jpg

vanilla cream.jpg

coconut tapioca pudding.jpg

dulce de leche cream cake.jpg

Just off Divina two weeks ago, new Dinner menu, now offering “daily favorites” which include a delicious salmon and decent steak, along with various other choices, so our evening meal had many choices and was always excellent. Everyone seemed to enjoy the large shrimp from the appetizer section as well as the french onion soup. For the first time on MSC we had lobster on elegant night also. 

21 hours ago, cellfree said:

Just off Divina two weeks ago, new Dinner menu, now offering “daily favorites” which include a delicious salmon and decent steak, along with various other choices, so our evening meal had many choices and was always excellent. Everyone seemed to enjoy the large shrimp from the appetizer section as well as the french onion soup. For the first time on MSC we had lobster on elegant night also. 

WOW!  That's good news.  I was fairly underwhelmed with the taste of the food. The selections were pretty solid and desserts were fantastic but most of the rest of the food just didn't have much taste.  glad to hear they have made some changes!