Norwegian Fjord excursions

Hi, I was wondering if taking an excursion that sails the fjords (on a much smaller boat) gives that much of a different experience than sailing into/out of the fjord on a cruise ship.

There are (obviously) a lot of things I want to do on each stop, so trying to determine what, if anything, I'd miss if my only time on the fjord was on the ship.

Also, for anyone who has kayaked the fjords, any feedback on that would be welcome.

TIA

The scenic viewings from a cruise ship compared to a smaller boat navigating the same fjords a very similar. In general all the deep Norwegian fjords can be navigated by big bruise ships.

in the ports you can visit the viewpoints, train rides, hiking  or visit glaciers - depending on ports of call.

I have no experience with kayaking in Norway but I will assume that kayaking will be an experience in itself.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, hallasm said:

The scenic viewings from a cruise ship compared to a smaller boat navigating the same fjords a very similar. In general all the deep Norwegian fjords can be navigated by big bruise ships.

in the ports you can visit the viewpoints, train rides, hiking  or visit glaciers - depending on ports of call.

I have no experience with kayaking in Norway but I will assume that kayaking will be an experience in itself.

I agree, you will see  fjord twice from the ship:  during the sail in and sail out.  Kayaking would be fun,  but i would not choose that just for the views of the fjord.