Someone help me out! Old style buffet plate/trays...

nicoleds

I for one really miss the trays! My DH has mobility issues so I generally get his food and mine. Without the trays I have to get whatever he wants then go back to the line and get mine. One of these days I’m going to find a tray that’s lightweight and fits well in my luggage!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

I for one really miss the trays! My DH has mobility issues so I generally get his food and mine. Without the trays I have to get whatever he wants then go back to the line and get mine. One of these days I’m going to find a tray that’s lightweight and fits well in my luggage!

Order room service breakfast once, and then keep the tray.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

We use these at home and they are great + lightweight. These are like tupperware tough. And cheap!

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/smula-tray-clear-40041131/

They can be a little slick so we also use a layer of this to keep things from sliding around.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQB1Z2R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You certainly don't need a 20' roll of this, but the 12" width is about right. Only trimmed a little to fit (width).

I just weighed one and it comes in at 1 pound.

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

How much food are you taking??? Hold your food in one hand and his in the other. 

A few weeks ago, I bought this:

Morris and Co for Pimpernel Blue Melamine Handled Tray - 19.25 x 11.5 inch

..and will be bringing it on my next cruise.  All of my serving trays at home are heavy - either silverplate or wood.  This one is lightweight, sanitizable melamine.  And I love "The Strawberry Thief", so I couldn't resist this particular model.

Morris and Co for Pimpernel Blue Melamine Handled Tray - 19.25 x 11.5 inch, so it will fit in a carryon.

I got it from Overstock dot com, for $30, through Carnival FPs MC RewardsBoost shopping portal.  BTW, this tray comes in many different prints and patterns - not just "The Strawberry Thief".

Although I read the dimensions, I was still somehow thinking it would hold two plates.  It only holds one (although I think the charger pictured (11 1/4") is bigger than a Lido Deck plate), in addition to two DOD cups and a couple flatware/napkin rolls:

20220924_110900

Despite it being a little smaller than I would like, I am very pleased with the overall look and quality of it, as well as its light weight.  Also, the handles seems to have a good ergonomic angle to them.  I hope this helps. 

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

And the flatware rolls?  And the beverages?

And not to mention motor control/coordination. I can get a bit shaky and am already clumsy, so two hands to hold onto one item is ideal for me. I like trays so I don't have to do a back and forth from table to station. I've had the bussers remove my new plate of food right after setting it down when I went to go get the other stuff.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

I bought my tray at Walmart. We drove through Palatka last week. We were trying to avoid Ian which we did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ilovesparky13 said:

How much food are you taking??? Hold your food in one hand and his in the other. 

As it is currently, I have to put silverware in my pocket, and get drinks in one trip, then go back for food. I can do two plates at once, that’s not a problem, just would like to have it all on one tray. And of course sometimes he wants buffet and I want a sandwich. I like the idea of using the room service tray, but would rather have my own. Thanks for the ideas tho.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunonfire said:

I bought my tray at Walmart. We drove through Palatka last week. We were trying to avoid Ian which we did.

Awesome! We’re just about 10 minutes north actually, on the river. Got pretty high here, didn’t do much damage to our dock thank God! Hope you didn’t sustain any damage!

8 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

A few weeks ago, I bought this:

Morris and Co for Pimpernel Blue Melamine Handled Tray - 19.25 x 11.5 inch

..and will be bringing it on my next cruise.  All of my serving trays at home are heavy - either silverplate or wood.  This one is lightweight, sanitizable melamine.  And I love "The Strawberry Thief", so I couldn't resist this particular model.

Morris and Co for Pimpernel Blue Melamine Handled Tray - 19.25 x 11.5 inch, so it will fit in a carryon.

I got it from Overstock dot com, for $30, through Carnival FPs MC RewardsBoost shopping portal.  BTW, this tray comes in many different prints and patterns - not just "The Strawberry Thief".

Although I read the dimensions, I was still somehow thinking it would hold two plates.  It only holds one (although I think the charger pictured (11 1/4") is bigger than a Lido Deck plate), in addition to two DOD cups and a couple flatware/napkin rolls:

20220924_110900

Despite it being a little smaller than I would like, I am very pleased with the overall look and quality of it, as well as its light weight.  Also, the handles seems to have a good ergonomic angle to them.  I hope this helps. 

🙂

Thank you! This is a great idea. I cruise solo sometimes and this would be perfect to bring along...especially for those trips upstairs for late night drink and pizza! 

I've also had the experience of cruising solo where I've set my food down to get silverware or a drink, and somebody moves my food, assuming that it's garbage/old. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bostwick girl said:

As it is currently, I have to put silverware in my pocket, and get drinks in one trip, then go back for food. I can do two plates at once, that’s not a problem, just would like to have it all on one tray. And of course sometimes he wants buffet and I want a sandwich. I like the idea of using the room service tray, but would rather have my own. Thanks for the ideas tho.

We were on the Pride in February and April. I brought my tray. Carnival crew just passing by would hit the button for the automatic door for me. The hostess pushed the elevator button for me. At other times when I was waiting by the elevator other crew members would press the elevator button for and even waited to press my floor button. Each time I was able to press the buttons. I could not believe how thoughtful and helpful they all were. 

• Like 5

I bought quasi fast-food trays on Amazon.  They fit easily into my roller bag and as a side benefit offer some extra protection to wine bottles or a laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-CT141803-Standard-Cafeteria-Polypropylene/dp/B06Y226G55

Runs around $5 and come in a variety of colors and sizes... The 12x16s work for me, but they come slightly larger if needed.

Edited by Lane Hog

57 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

I bought quasi fast-food trays on Amazon.  They fit easily into my roller bag and as a side benefit offer some extra protection to wine bottles or a laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-CT141803-Standard-Cafeteria-Polypropylene/dp/B06Y226G55

Runs around $5 and come in a variety of colors and sizes... The 12x16s work for me, but they come slightly larger if needed.

I have these bought them last year for our thanksgiving party. 
What I do now is carry a small tote bag put silverware in there and I actually purchased foldable to go containers to put my desserts in or whatever and put in my tote to take back to my cabin. 

• Like 1

I simply find one of the numerous trays laying on the floor in the hallways, take it back to my room and clean it up, and I have a tray for the duration of the cruise 😉 . When not in use I stash it in the closet so the room steward doesn't remove it. The Spirit class triple length balconies make great dining areas in lieu of the lido area. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

We have been taking the larger of these for the last 6 cruises and love them. We like to eat most meals on our balconies. Remember when someone asks where you got it, tell them that Carnival gives them out at guest services, but that they do not like to give them out and will say they do not have them, so you really have to push and maybe speak to a manager. 

• Haha 1