Brisbane and Newcastle dropped from our Australian itinerary - any insights why?

IDLnyc

We have LONG been booked on a much-postponed Sydney to Bali voyage now scheduled for 2024 on the Orion.

Yesterday, we received an email from Viking informing us that they were dropping Brisbane and Newcastle from this itinerary "due to new, local regulations".  This is a disappointment because we have a family connection in Brisbane.  I know our specific voyage isn't the only one affected - I believe people making the same trip in 2023 received the same email.

Of course, I'm curious what kind of regulation would prompt Viking to cancel a port, and I'm also curious if there is any likelihood that the ports might be reinstated if conditions changed between now and 2024. 

I couldn't find anything explicitly relevant on the internet.  Brisbane has just opened a new cruise terminal to much publicity, so I don't think they would be backpedalling on hosting cruise ships.  On the other hand, I know another cruise-line's ship had a well-publicized Covid outbreak before arriving at Brisbane last summer - so maybe more requirements grew out of that (?).

Does anyone have any information as to what "new, local regulations" might be behind this change?   Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, IDLnyc said:

We have LONG been booked on a much-postponed Sydney to Bali voyage now scheduled for 2024 on the Orion.

Yesterday, we received an email from Viking informing us that they were dropping Brisbane and Newcastle from this itinerary "due to new, local regulations".  This is a disappointment because we have a family connection in Brisbane.  I know our specific voyage isn't the only one affected - I believe people making the same trip in 2023 received the same email.

Of course, I'm curious what kind of regulation would prompt Viking to cancel a port, and I'm also curious if there is any likelihood that the ports might be reinstated if conditions changed between now and 2024. 

I couldn't find anything explicitly relevant on the internet.  Brisbane has just opened a new cruise terminal to much publicity, so I don't think they would be backpedalling on hosting cruise ships.  On the other hand, I know another cruise-line's ship had a well-publicized Covid outbreak before arriving at Brisbane last summer - so maybe more requirements grew out of that (?).

Does anyone have any information as to what "new, local regulations" might be behind this change?   Thanks in advance.

Hello from Brisbane

That is a complete surprise. Cruise ships are lining up to berth in Brisbane in 2023 and, as you indicate, the new cruise terminal has been the subject of great fan-fair.

There are almost zero COVID restrictions in place now and the cruise ship you mention is a distant memory and rarely rates a mention in public or media discussion.

We have family who live near Newcastle and we keep an eye on the local news from Newcastle and New South Wales more widely, and there has been zero discussion about cruise ship restrictions. 

I can't for the life of me think of any new local regulations which might impact in either location.

Will the decision be reversed ? I hope so - but I did read the 2023 World Cruise is skipping Brisbane in February so there must be something behind these changes.

I'm sorry I can't shed any light but if any news come to notice I'll come back and let you know.

Thanks, all, for the responses.  Yes, if I hear or read any explanation of why the ports were canceled, I'll come back and post it here.  

27 minutes ago, rcs931 said:

We are on the Mars this December, Bali to Sydney.  As of today, both of these ports are still included in our itinerary.  We'd be pretty bummed if they got dropped.

rcs931: Brisbane and and Newcastle still show up for the version of my itinerary on the Viking webpage for people making new bookings.  But those ports have been removed from the version of my itinerary under "My Trip".  So if you didn't receive an email,  and those ports still show up under "My Trip" for your voyage, then I think you'll be ok.

3 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

I strongly suspect the “new regulations “ were port fees they did not want to pay. 

While I don't know what "New Regulations" could include, it highly unlikely that the reason is "Port Fees", especially in Brisbane.

"Port Fees" are inclusive of berth charges, which are normally assessed per foot of ship length, pilotage fees (which are expensive), longshoremen, tugs, navigation services, environmental charges, etc. Docking at the new cruise terminal in Brisbane, the pilotage fees would be a fraction of those required to head down river to Portside, and the ship would also use thousands of dollars less fuel, since the new terminal is at the river entrance.

If ships cancel a port and replace with a sea day, the overall financial impact on the ship is negative. Yes, they save money on all port related fees, but the ship now spends a day at sea:

- burning extra fuel, which is the largest cost factor

- loss of revenue from shore-ex, which is often the largest revenue generator for a cruise ship

- additional meal costs, as no pax/crew are eating ashore

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can't comment on cancelling Newcastle, but have given some thought to the change of port for Brisbane and how Viking could refer to it as "New" regulations.

Little Monte posted a few days ago that the Port of Brisbane has been very successful in moving most of the cruise ships from the original Portside berths to the new cruise terminal and by next year, expect all ships to use the new berths. It sounds like they are effectively banning cruise ships from cruising down river to Portside.

At the entrance to the river, adjacent to the airport, it is an excellent location for a TAR port, but being 12 miles from the centre of Brisbane and with nothing locally, it isn't a great location for "In Transit" pax. It isn't even very scenic, with the airport on 1 side and a container terminal across the river. If taking a shore-ex it isn't a huge impact, but you can't walk off the ship and explore locally, as it is about 8 miles to the outer suburbs.

Brisbane is a long arrival, with the waters of Moreton Bay and north of Moreton Island being fairly shallow. The initial approach to Brisbane starts well north of Moreton Island at Currimundi/Caloundra, where you follow the coast initially then circle around Moreton Bay for the approach to the river. Until passing the airport it isn't exactly scenic cruising, taking at least 4 hrs.

If the Port Authority is banning cruise ships from using Portside, Viking may have determined they are better going to Mooloolaba, which is 60 miles to Brisbane, but at least you have places to wander ashore. Mooloolaba is less than 10 miles north of the entrance to the Brisbane approaches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

IDLnyc,

We are currently booked on the Auckland to Bali (Benoa) (February 13 – March 14, 2024). We did not receive an email regarding the potential port changes.

The Viking website site still shows Melbourne and Newcastle; however, when I go into my booking and click on Shore Excursions, these two ports are no longer shown.

Sydney is now shown  for three days: February 26, 27 & 28 and Mooloolaba scheduled for March 1.

• 3 months later...

1-27-2023

Here is the answer we all have been looking for. The Brisbane Portside Wharf is close to downtown.  It is closed for renovation. The new terminal is 8 miles from the edge of Brisbane and offers passengers no "walk off and see" opportunities. Below is a quote from the Mooloolaba Chamber of Commerce.

"But the shock decision to close Brisbane’s Portside Wharf cruise terminal at the start of the 2022/23 cruising season has forced major cruise lines including Viking, Regent Seven Sea Cruises and Silversea to make other arrangements.

And some are heading towards our coastline (Mooloolaba) instead – adding up to a total of 23 cruise ships visiting the Sunshine Coast between now and 2025, and most of those making their maiden visit."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesHill said:

1-27-2023

Here is the answer we all have been looking for. The Brisbane Portside Wharf is close to downtown.  It is closed for renovation. The new terminal is 8 miles from the edge of Brisbane and offers passengers no "walk off and see" opportunities. Below is a quote from the Mooloolaba Chamber of Commerce.

"But the shock decision to close Brisbane’s Portside Wharf cruise terminal at the start of the 2022/23 cruising season has forced major cruise lines including Viking, Regent Seven Sea Cruises and Silversea to make other arrangements.

And some are heading towards our coastline (Mooloolaba) instead – adding up to a total of 23 cruise ships visiting the Sunshine Coast between now and 2025, and most of those making their maiden visit."

Thanks for the update, which confirms my assumptions in post # 9