Uber/Lyft LAX newbie questions.

quillwercruisers

We have never used Uber/Lyft before, and was wondering whether it is better to make reservations ahead of time or just arrange after we have gotten our luggage?  Is there a price difference doing it one way vs the other?  I know that out of LAX that we have to go at least Uber Black if we want to be picked up curbside.  Does Lyft have the same level?

Thanks in advance for any help.

55 minutes ago, quillwercruisers said:

We have never used Uber/Lyft before, and was wondering whether it is better to make reservations ahead of time or just arrange after we have gotten our luggage?

Click the button when you have your luggage. My experience at LAX is that they come very quickly. This gives you more flexibility in case your flight is early or late. There is no major advantage do booking early from a place that has as many available cars as a busy place like LAX does. 

57 minutes ago, quillwercruisers said:

I know that out of LAX that we have to go at least Uber Black if we want to be picked up curbside.  Does Lyft have the same level?

Yes, any "black car" registered with the state as a livery or limo will be able to pick you up curbside on both Uber or Lyft. Uber as an additional level of service in LA called UberLux-- frankly this is overkill unless you want to be guaranteed to be in a nicer car which are typically a newer Mercedes S Class and occasionally something more exotic like a Bentley or Rolls Royce-- didn't want you to think that was the only option. Its significantly more expensive than UberBlack-- just book Black and get the curbside pickup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are Uber newbies too but have decided to give it a try from LAX to San Pedro given the issues folks have had with the Princess transfers recently. We don’t need curbside service. Other than following the signs to the pickup location are there any tips anyone can share?

On 10/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, azbirdmom said:

Other than following the signs to the pickup location are there any tips anyone can share?

To be clear, you follow signs to the LAX-it Shuttle. If you arrive at Terminal 1, you can walk to the LAX-it Lot next door.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

To be clear, you follow signs to the LAX-it Shuttle. If you arrive at Terminal 1, you can walk to the LAX-it Lot next door.

Thanks for the info.  I just checked the website and it looks like it is an 8 minute walk from where we will land (in terminal 7/8).

30 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Thanks for the info.  I just checked the website and it looks like it is an 8 minute walk from where we will land (in terminal 7/8).

That is a BAD walk. You have to cross major traffic, twice. From Terminal 7/8 I'd use the shuttle. It might be 7-8 minutes in theory, but a lot longer waiting for a crossing signal, sucking down auto fumes the whole way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

That is a BAD walk. You have to cross major traffic, twice. From Terminal 7/8 I'd use the shuttle. It might be 7-8 minutes in theory, but a lot longer waiting for a crossing signal, sucking down auto fumes the whole way.

Thanks for the warning.  Will look for the shuttle 🙂