Tourist permit required for Mexican cruise for US citizens?

fltcpt

I am sorry I am a bit confused. For US citizens, it looks like a visa is required to travel to Mexico, but there're exceptions, e.g. like travel by sea and stay at port for less than 72 hours. I assume that exempts cruise ship passengers on ships that call Mexican ports.

However, there seems to be something called FMM, which is supposed to be a tourist permit, which I cannot tell whether that is a separate requirement on top of a tourist visa. I am sure a lot of US citizens have been to Mexico via cruise ships lately (... uh... even with covid?) Can anybody tell me if US citizens need anything at all to visit Mexican ports (for the day) on ships departing from and going back to the US?

Mexico is in the process of getting rid of the FMM. It was common to fill one out when flying to Mexico's tourist cities (Cabo, PV, Mazatlan, Cancun, etc). But it is no longer required as Mexico phases them out. The procedure now is that visitors going through immigration control in tourist airports will have their passports stamped and an exit date hand written on the stamp. The exit date is 180 days out from first entry. Cruisers never had to worry about this issue as their stop was always brief. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about the FMM. But always a good idea to carry at least one form of ID along with your ship ID card. Drivers License or photo copy of passport generally works. 

• 2 months later...

Don't over think or worry about an FMM if on a cruise.  FMM's are still required and can be issued for up to 180 days.  The reason you don't see them on the ship is the ship handles them with INM (MX Immigration).  They are free for less than seven days.  There has been a huge crack down on people flying/walking/driving across the border and not having FMM's.  INM has setup check points to ask for your FMM and have deported US citizens for not having an FMM.  In most cases near the border they just make you go to INM, pay a fine, and get one.  I have seen stories of people in the interior with an FMM being put on a plane and sent back to the US.  We have been stopped once and asked for ours, but we have permanent resident status and don't need an FMM.    

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 5:29 AM, SDPadreFan said:

The procedure now is that visitors going through immigration control in tourist airports will have their passports stamped and an exit date hand written on the stamp. The exit date is 180 days out from first entry. 

You can ask for 180 days, but they no longer automatically give you the max 180 days.  If you tell them you are here for two weeks you get two weeks.