Recommendations for Bermuda day

babyclaytonmom

Will be here in early November. 1st time to Bermuda. Besides Horseshoe Bay (I see there is a bus/tram) what else should be do to make the most of our Bermuda day. We are from Florida and I assume it wont really be a beach day all day for us- too cold. What else would you recommend?

8 hours ago, babyclaytonmom said:

Will be here in early November. 1st time to Bermuda. Besides Horseshoe Bay (I see there is a bus/tram) what else should be do to make the most of our Bermuda day. We are from Florida and I assume it wont really be a beach day all day for us- too cold. What else would you recommend?

Yes, it's too late in the season for the beach. There's no tram to Horseshoe Bay... you can go by bus, taxi or minibus, but I wouldn't bother in November.

How long will you be in Bermuda? One day.? If so, what hours are you in port? What do you enjoy doing?

Where will you be docked? 

If you like history a visit to the National Museum of Bermuda is appropriate. If you're docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard it's located right there. There are also shops and restaurants in the Dockyard. 

Other possible places to visit include the Bermuda  Aquarium Museum and Zoo, as well as Crystal and Fantasy caves, or the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute, but with knowing where you're docked, how long you're in port and your personal tastes it's impossible to make a recommendation.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2022 at 7:47 AM, babyclaytonmom said:

Since it is your first time I would suggest a four or five hour taxi tour or minibus tour. 

On 10/16/2022 at 5:21 PM, njhorseman said:

Yes, it's too late in the season for the beach. There's no tram to Horseshoe Bay... you can go by bus, taxi or minibus, but I wouldn't bother in November.

How long will you be in Bermuda? One day.? If so, what hours are you in port? What do you enjoy doing?

Where will you be docked? 

If you like history a visit to the National Museum of Bermuda is appropriate. If you're docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard it's located right there. There are also shops and restaurants in the Dockyard. 

Other possible places to visit include the Bermuda  Aquarium Museum and Zoo, as well as Crystal and Fantasy caves, or the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute, but with knowing where you're docked, how long you're in port and your personal tastes it's impossible to make a recommendation.

The Royal Navy Dockyard port. 8:00-5:00. One day, first week of November. Do you need a tour to do the caves or can you take a taxi and do on your own? No desire for a zoo or aquarium. We have great ones at home.

3 minutes ago, babyclaytonmom said:

The Royal Navy Dockyard port. 8:00-5:00. One day, first week of November. Do you need a tour to do the caves or can you take a taxi and do on your own? No desire for a zoo or aquarium. We have great ones at home.

You can do it on your own. Take the Blue Route ferry to Hamilton, walk to the bus station and take the #1,3, 10 or 11 bus to the caves. Or take the Orange Route ferry to St. George and then the #1,3, 10 or 11 bus to the caves. If you're on NCL (and looking at your schedule I suspect you're not) you can take the free NCL ferry from Dockyard to St. George and then the bus to the caves.

One word of caution. Since you have a substantial amount of travel to get to the caves and back (I'd allow 90 minutes in each direction) it will eat into your available time at the caves. Just give yourself adequate time, particularly on the return trip. Sometimes bus and ferry runs get cancelled and there can be a substantial wait until the next ferry.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You can do it on your own. Take the Blue Route ferry to Hamilton, walk to the bus station and take the #1,3, 10 or 11 bus to the caves. Or take the Orange Route ferry to St. George and then the #1,3, 10 or 11 bus to the caves. If you're on NCL (and looking at your schedule I suspect you're not) you can take the free NCL ferry from Dockyard to St. George and then the bus to the caves.

One word of caution. Since you have a substantial amount of travel to get to the caves and back (I'd allow 90 minutes in each direction) it will eat into your available time at the caves. Just give yourself adequate time, particularly on the return trip. Sometimes bus and ferry runs get cancelled and there can be a substantial wait until the next ferry.

Thank you so much. This looks like a great plan and that we need to get off the ship ASAP! How long did you spend at the caves?

50 minutes ago, babyclaytonmom said:

Thank you so much. This looks like a great plan and that we need to get off the ship ASAP! How long did you spend at the caves?

We visited the caves about 35 years ago so I have no recollection of how long it took . At the time only Crystal Cave was open to the public. Fantasy Cave opened some years after that.

Per their website, caves.bm , each cave tour takes about 35 minutes. You may have to wait to start your tour if they're busy. I'd recommend that you go to the website to get more information.

2 hours ago, babyclaytonmom said:

They now advise calling to book a tour time but they take walk ins. Of the two caves Crystal is the most interesting. You could skip Fantasy cave in my opinion. Instead of taking a bus you could save time by taking a taxi from the ferry. Be advised that it is 88 steps down and back up to the caves. 

13 hours ago, babyclaytonmom said:

What are a couple of the highlights of each? Thanks!

Hamilton would be the place to go for shopping. Many restaurants. Hamilton has a waterfront and a large park. It is the governement center,  Fort Hamilton is on one end. There is also BUEI (Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute) which is a museum geared to kids. 

St. George's is a World Heritage Site. Lot of history. Very walkable. Small shops and a few restaurants. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Fort St Catherine over in St George has some amazing history if you're interested in that.  A taxi will be needed to get there and back.  Other options would be the Frog & Onion restaurant at the Dockyard as well as the Fun Golf.  A putt putt course unlike any other.

Edited by Buckeyefrank100