Dive operators

SellN4U

Taking Allure over spring break in March 2023.  Looking for recommendations of dive operators that service the cruise ships.  We are stopping at Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan.  Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

We have visited and dove in Roatán and Cozumel many times. We book independently with West Bay Divers in Roatán. ( our favorite place to dive!!!). We dive with Blue Project in Cozumel. Both limit the dives to small groups. In Costa Maya- we dove with Gypsy divers but weren’t impressed. Have a great trip.

• Like 1

there are quite a few great dive operators at Roatan and Cozumel who will take cruisers, but it all depends on your arrival time.  They aren't going to hold a dive boat to wait on ships that are after a certain time unless there are enough divers to warrant.  

There are quite a few recommendations on this forum on where to dive in Roatan, Mexico and just about everywhere else.

I'm going to be in Roatan, Coz, Costa Maya in Feb.

I've used Sun Divers in Roatan. Probably will use them again

I booked through the ship in Coz this time just to save a spot as the people who are going with us haven't decided what they wanted to do in Coz yet.

There is another thread on diving in Coz here, so thinking about doing Blue Reef Divers combined with Mr. Sanchos resort for the rest of the group.

Still trying to decide whether to dive in Costa Maya

Edited by mac66

Cozumel: My last two cruises to Cozumel, I used Dive Paradise. I like that operator a lot because they provide a 10:00 a.m. Express Boat, so it will accommodate a later ship arrival. Both times I've only been with 6 divers maximum in the boat.

Costa Maya: I had a great experience there with Gypsea Divers in Mahuahal. The reef is in pretty good shape because it's not as popular a destination as Cozumel. I would dive with Catherine and co. again in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

In Cozumel, we use Roberta's Scuba Shack.  While we normally sail with Celebrity, Roberta's is right off the dock that they use.  Her boats are a little older but small groups and great service.  

In Costa Maya, we have used Doctor Dive.  Right down in Mahuahal.  They basically leave from the beach, go dive, then return for your surface interval, grab another tank and off on another dive.  Great communication from them.

• Like 1

I don't have a strong recommendation for Roatan.  I haven't dove there on a cruise since pre-Covid.  On my last trip there in June, we dove with Infinity Bay.  They were good, but I doubt they'd do well with cruise schedules, as they use larger boats. 

For Cozumel I would highly recommend Sherief Sanad. He recently opened Humarine, after 12 years as an Instructor/DM with Aldora.  He will make your Cozumel dives absolutely top-notch, and he is willing to work with cruise divers.  (https://humarine.com/)

I have dove with Catherine and Abel at Gypsea divers in Mahahual (Costa Maya) countless times.  If you're looking for fancy you won't find it there, or anywhere in Mahahual.  However, they're great people who are in the business because they love diving and divers.  Definitely say Harris recommended you if you go.  (http://gypseadivers.com/)

Harris

Denver, CO

On 10/18/2022 at 9:42 AM, lish3 said:

We have visited and dove in Roatán and Cozumel many times. We book independently with West Bay Divers in Roatán. ( our favorite place to dive!!!). We dive with Blue Project in Cozumel. Both limit the dives to small groups. In Costa Maya- we dove with Gypsy divers but weren’t impressed. Have a great trip.

How does Blue Project work if docking at International Pier?