Do we tip the concierge (Albergo del Senato)

Sundiego

Staying at Albergo del Senato 5 nights pre-cruise (thanks Cruisemom and others!!) I get that Italy does not have the same tipping culture as we do in America. But if we are asking the concierge to make dinner reservations 2 or 3 times... tip or no tip?Ā 

Ā 

Thanks!

Ā 

Denise

I'm curious why you question whether this particular service would be exempt from the general rule?Ā  Making dinner reservations is a basic job responsibility for a concierge, so you're not asking them to go "above and beyond" in your service.Ā  Now, if they got you a place in a Michelin starred restaurant with a three month waiting list, that's an accomplishment that even an Italian might acknowledge, but simply making a phone call is barely the definition of meeting minimum job requirements.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I'm curious why you question whether this particular service would be exempt from the general rule?Ā  Making dinner reservations is a basic job responsibility for a concierge, so you're not asking them to go "above and beyond" in your service.Ā  Now, if they got you a place in a Michelin starred restaurant with a three month waiting list, that's an accomplishment that even an Italian might acknowledge, but simply making a phone call is barely the definition of meeting minimum job requirements.

Thank you for this! I guess this question popped into my mind because I read so much about the stellar service at this hotel, so wanted to be prepared. But I understand what you are saying and appreciate you reinforcing the obvious šŸ™‚

Ā 

Denise

2 hours ago, Sundiego said:

Thank you for this! I guess this question popped into my mind because I read so much about the stellar service at this hotel, so wanted to be prepared. But I understand what you are saying and appreciate you reinforcing the obvious šŸ™‚

Ā 

Denise

Ā 

Americans tipping in Europe.jpg