Air Canada and United Airlines

NWT Cruiser

We are flying from Yellowknife on Air Canada to New York City.  When we get to Toronto we switch to United Airlines (everything was booked with Air Canada and they are the ones that booked us this way).  Can we check our luggage all the way from Yellowknife to NYC or do we have to get our luggage and re-check in?  Don't have much time to connect.

56 minutes ago, NWT Cruiser said:

We are flying from Yellowknife on Air Canada to New York City.  When we get to Toronto we switch to United Airlines (everything was booked with Air Canada and they are the ones that booked us this way).  Can we check our luggage all the way from Yellowknife to NYC or do we have to get our luggage and re-check in?  Don't have much time to connect.

Yes you can check everything through.  I've done this YZF-YYC-DEN-FLL before with United.

1 hour ago, NWT Cruiser said:

Yes, your luggage "should" be checked through to NYC. However, on a recent flight (YVR-YYZ-LGA), our luggage was delayed for 2 days (it didn't make the connecting flight). Luckily, we spent 4 days in NY before our cruise.

Be aware you may have a long walk (depending on you arrival gate) to the F gates (Terminal 1) for US departures. Also, you'll have to clear CATSA security and US CBP Preclearance in Toronto. These may have long lineups.

Here are a couple of useful sites:

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures/us-customs-pearson

• Like 1

Hi

Our experience with a similar situation, with a one hour window for the connection (but our connection was in Montreal); we got to our flight with no problem. Our bags unfortunately didn't make it on our flight. Toronto is considerably busier. These days, I imagine a lot has to do with luck, time of day, how many people are off sick, that kind of stuff. 

Bring a change of clothes in your carry-on, and be patient.

Good luck and happy cruising

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 6:50 PM, NWT Cruiser said:

Can we check our luggage all the way from Yellowknife to NYC or do we have to get our luggage and re-check in?

If it's all on the same booking/ticket, you don't need to retrieve your luggage and re-check in. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:50 PM, NWT Cruiser said:

We are flying from Yellowknife on Air Canada to New York City.  When we get to Toronto we switch to United Airlines 

When you check in at Yellowknife, just make sure your baggage tag says EWR before you let it go and it disappears down the baggage belt.  I'm assuming your United flight goes into Newark.  If it says LGA, then you are flying into LaGuardia and it would be JFK for JFK.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

When you check in at Yellowknife, just make sure your baggage tag says EWR before you let it go and it disappears down the baggage belt.  I'm assuming your United flight goes into Newark.  If it says LGA, then you are flying into LaGuardia and it would be JFK for JFK.

Thanks for the tip ... we'll definitely make sure they tag them to EWR (which is the airport we are using).

On 10/22/2022 at 8:13 PM, lots-of-km2 said:

If it's all on the same booking/ticket, you don't need to retrieve your luggage and re-check in.

Yes, our ticket is all on the same booking/ticket, thank goodness.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:06 AM, Nic6318 said:

Our bags unfortunately didn't make it on our flight.

That would be a disaster if we don't get all our luggage.  We're spending 2 nights in NYC and then board our 14 night cruise and on our way back at the another night at the IAH airport.  If my bags don't show up ... I'll cry continuously until my hubby tells me to go buy a new wardrobe.  lol

On 10/21/2022 at 6:49 PM, Mingus said:

Be aware you may have a long walk (depending on you arrival gate) to the F gates (Terminal 1) for US departures. Also, you'll have to clear CATSA security and US CBP Preclearance in Toronto. These may have long lineups.

I'm hoping we don't have too long of a walk for our connection, and hopefully security and preclearance are quick.  Fingers crossed.

On 10/21/2022 at 5:46 PM, dolfan1980 said:

Yes you can check everything through.  I've done this YZF-YYC-DEN-FLL before with United.

Glad to see someone else checked their luggage all the way through from Yellowknife to the U.S.  Yellowknife is not an international airport so wasn't quite sure how that would work.

Thanks to you all, again.  

Hope we have great flights beginning at 6 AM tomorrow and smooth sailing (with all my luggage).  lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NWT Cruiser said:

Thanks for the tip ... we'll definitely make sure they tag them to EWR (which is the airport we are using).

Yes, our ticket is all on the same booking/ticket, thank goodness.

That would be a disaster if we don't get all our luggage.  We're spending 2 nights in NYC and then board our 14 night cruise and on our way back at the another night at the IAH airport.  If my bags don't show up ... I'll cry continuously until my hubby tells me to go buy a new wardrobe.  lol

I'm hoping we don't have too long of a walk for our connection, and hopefully security and preclearance are quick.  Fingers crossed.

Glad to see someone else checked their luggage all the way through from Yellowknife to the U.S.  Yellowknife is not an international airport so wasn't quite sure how that would work.

Thanks to you all, again.  

Hope we have great flights beginning at 6 AM tomorrow and smooth sailing (with all my luggage).  lol

Take what you can't live without in a carry on just in case.  Anything can go wrong as I'm sure you already know.  Good luck.

On 10/24/2022 at 6:51 AM, NWT Cruiser said:

In the unlikely event that happens don't forget to keep the receipts to claim back from the airline.  I think the claim limit is $2,300 CDN but you should check if it happens.  

On 10/24/2022 at 4:12 PM, dolfan1980 said:

Take what you can't live without in a carry on just in case.  Anything can go wrong as I'm sure you already know.  Good luck.

On 10/25/2022 at 7:20 PM, em-sk said:

In the unlikely event that happens don't forget to keep the receipts to claim back from the airline.  I think the claim limit is $2,300 CDN but you should check if it happens. 

Thank you all for the tips on our travels to NYC.  Everything worked out ... got to check our luggage all the way through to EWR and no lost luggage.

Cheers,

Frances (NWT Cruiser)

• Like 4