COVID Test for Boarding a Ship in Australia

I read on the Aus Gov website that Covid tests are not required to enter Australia. We are cruising with NCL next March from Sydney. On the NCL website under country specific requirements it states that a Covid test is required to board a ship in Australia and must be taken within 24 hours of boarding. Can anyone advise me on this? Is this a requirement or are NCL just slow in correcting their website? TIA.

13 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

I read on the Aus Gov website that Covid tests are not required to enter Australia. We are cruising with NCL next March from Sydney. On the NCL website under country specific requirements it states that a Covid test is required to board a ship in Australia and must be taken within 24 hours of boarding. Can anyone advise me on this? Is this a requirement or are NCL just slow in correcting their website? TIA.

The requirements for boarding a cruise ship in Australia are different from those to enter the country. Currently, a test is required to board a ship. I'd follow whatever you see on the NCL website that is specific to your voyage to be sure you have the correct information though. March is still a long way off in covid terms, so who knows what the requirement will be by then but I would assume the rules put in place for the recommencement of cruising here will stay in place for the length of the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The requirements for boarding a cruise ship in Australia are different from those to enter the country. Currently, a test is required to board a ship. I'd follow whatever you see on the NCL website that is specific to your voyage to be sure you have the correct information though. March is still a long way off in covid terms, so who knows what the requirement will be by then but I would assume the rules put in place for the recommencement of cruising here will stay in place for the length of the season.

Thanks @LittleFish1976 . Does this apply to all cruises? Even cruises that are leaving Australia and not coming back (we are sailing to the South Pacific)? Are Covid tests easy to get in Sydney? Are there walk-ins or do you need an appointment?

2 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

Thanks @LittleFish1976 . Does this apply to all cruises? Even cruises that are leaving Australia and not coming back (we are sailing to the South Pacific)? Are Covid tests easy to get in Sydney? Are there walk-ins or do you need an appointment?

Get a RAT from the chemists and do it , take a time stamped photo on phone . Even those going to South Pacific as they are relying on Australian protocols .

https://www.tga.gov.au/products/covid-19/covid-19-tests/covid-19-rapid-antigen-self-tests-home-use/covid-19-rapid-antigen-self-tests-are-approved-australia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

As far as I know the government requirement is not for a supervised test which means as @Hogbay says, you can buy a test at a pharmacy or supermarket and test yourself. You must have photgraphic proof of the negative test though with ID and time/date there as well. Some cruise lines have more stringent requirements and so may require a supervised test, either RAT (lateral flow test) or a PCR. If you need that sort of thing someone from Sydney will need to chime in and let you know about local availability. As I said, NCL will tell you what you need.

I assume our rules are for all departures from Australia. Australian rules regarding smoking will also be enforced on all departures from here, I understand.

• Thanks 1