Pool chair hogs ?

doowopbob

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Torshavn, which is Viking's late night venue may not be as lively as the mass market ships, but on our World Cruise, we were there until at least 23:00 most evenings, as were many of the regulars.

Love Torshavn. A little over 15 years ago, DH and I were on a Royal Caribbean Cruise celebrating our son’s high school graduation. At 11:30 PM, at the bar we were in, there would be a break in the music to change over to a more contemporary vibe. Soon after our kids would arrive, buy us a couple of going away drinks (RCI allowed 18 year olds to drink), and send us on our merry way as the younger crowd moved in to party until I do not know when. 

• Like 2

I want to support the theme that there are a variety of activities onboard, but perhaps missing many of the ones that people who have cruised mainstream lines are familiar with. We had never cruised before, and were never interested based on stories from family and friends. Depiction of those mega ships in commercials and movies never appealed, assuming those representations were accurate.

Like others, we took one Viking river cruise and were introduced to the new Viking Ocean, so we booked and were hooked.  We cruise primarily for the ports, but love the ships too. We enjoy the lectures, the musicians in various venues, and especially the chance to meet new people.

Each trip has a unique personality, so to speak. Our last trip was 15 days, with no scheduled sea days. I don't think we went to a single show, nor lecture. We had the random good luck to be seated next to a couple from Australia in the Restaurant in the early part of the trip, and became instant friends. We spent many evenings hanging out with them, though we also became aquainted with another couple so there was variety of company too. Dinner pretty much could take up our whole evening, and I mean that in the best way.

Other trips we have had other experiences. There is almost always some reading (so many great places to read), but never a cardigan

• Like 5

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

You appeared to have taken reasonably accurate information  as a personal affront. Nobody is criticising your holiday preferences, just saying that they seem to differ from that of a majority of Viking passengers, and your requirements may not be met by the product

Nice to know you speak for the majority.  Viking doesn't have to do customer surveys they can just ask you....😀

51 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

Nice to know you speak for the majority.  Viking doesn't have to do customer surveys they can just ask you....😀

I've been on Viking cruises, you haven't. I mention what I have obseverved and heard mentioned onboard. I don't agree with everything said by fellow Viking cruisers, but in general I agree with them. 

I'm not going to like Celebrity, you may or may not like Viking. I do, however, know the difference between class, classy, and having class. 

Happy cruising. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I’m guessing the vibe changes when you aren’t stopping at lots of ports and taking morning excursions, as I believe was the case for much of your very unusual cruise. Without the ports, I would think Torshavn would get a lot more action. I know I’d be more likely to go there if I didn’t have to be ready to roll early the next day.

Affirmative, the latter half of the MMT was definitely unusual, but on the first half of the cruise it was reasonably normal, especially on the NZ & Aus coasts. Certainly not as intensive as most Meddy cruises, but we had ports most days.

Personally, I don't have much of a change in routine with port or sea days, as on sea days I am out walking on deck by 06:00. 

44 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Personally, I don't have much of a change in routine with port or sea days, as on sea days I am out walking on deck by 06:00. 

Is that AM or PM?😉

OopsI think my wee joke falls flat since mariners such as yourself would likely say 18:00 !

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/29/2022 at 4:37 PM, millybess said:

We posted the arbitrary comment at the same time and you get my point. 

Although I have never used a sea facing lounger, it struck me during this conversation that it would be on my way to get my morning coffee and I don’t travel lightly — kindle, iPad, phone, etc. 😊

I always bring a tote bag where i carry my book, phone, sweater etc and put it on my shoulder to free my hands for coffee.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2022 at 2:40 PM, UWDawg said:

In our case, Crash-Test Dummy = spouse.

If we want table, seat or lounger in a particular area, one of us will occupy the spot and reserve the adjacent seat for the other while she/he selects a meal from the World Cafe buffet line, then we trade off when the other returns.

My DW prefers an aisle seat near the back row of the Star Theater so that she doesn't have to navigate the steps or step over other people, so she goes down well in advance of the start of the show to nab (and occupy) her preferred seat.  I, on the other side, like to arrive just in time, so I'm the one who is “piggish”, “rude”, “bad mannered” and “selfish”, by slipping into the adjacent seat which she has saved/reserved for me.  And if I'm really lucky, she will have ordered my beverage of choice.  Of course many times, this being Viking, the servers will have often preemptively placed my beverage order upon seeing me or my spouse.  I really am spoiled in addition to being piggish in this way.  🐷  

If we want table, seat or lounger in a particular area, one of us will occupy the spot and reserve the adjacent seat for the other while she/he selects a meal from the World Cafe buffet line, then we trade off when the other returns.

My DW prefers an aisle seat near the back row of the Star Theater so that she doesn't have to navigate the steps or step over other people, so she goes down well in advance of the start of the show to nab (and occupy) her preferred seat.  I, on the other side, like to arrive just in time, so I'm the one who is “piggish”, “rude”, “bad mannered” and “selfish”, by slipping into the adjacent seat which she has saved/reserved for me.  And if I'm really lucky, she will have ordered my beverage of choice.  Of course many times, this being Viking, the servers will have often preemptively placed my beverage order upon seeing me or my spouse.  I really am spoiled in addition to being piggish in this way.  🐷  

There was a thread discussing Star Theatre seat saving but it was centered around one person coming in early, sitting down but "holding" 5-7 other front row center seats until their friends sauntered in minutes before show time.  The concensus was saving for that many people was a no no.  However saving one seat for your spouse was acceptable.

• Like 8

On 11/3/2022 at 11:05 AM, Twitchly said:

I’m guessing the vibe changes when you aren’t stopping at lots of ports and taking morning excursions, as I believe was the case for much of your very unusual cruise. Without the ports, I would think Torshavn would get a lot more action. I know I’d be more likely to go there if I didn’t have to be ready to roll early the next day.

I love Torshavn - especially when the band is playing - but rarely go there because we need to be up and out early for the next days excursion.

• Like 1

A silver lining to the Pandemic was the nearly empty seats everywhere!!!  We got spoiled quickly!!!  No need to rush for good seats anywhere!  Reservations in the Specialty Restaurants were easy to get too.

Edited by deec
  • Like 5

Chair hog? I was busted once. Here is my story.  I like the Lanai area outside the Wintergarden as its quiet and does not smell like chlorine.  I was sitting in one of the window sofas with an ottoman reading and wildlife watching for several hours one afternoon.  No one else was seated there.  Periodically i would get up to use the rest rooms near the Explorers Lounge leaving my crumpled up blanket and stuff including my own binoculars.  The last time i used the toilet facility i returned to find all my stuff gone and the blanket folded neatly.  Oh no...was i being singled out as a chair hog in an empty room??  When i flagged down a staff member, he apologized profusely explaining that they were setting up for 4 pm Tea.  Beware of staff members on a mission.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Had a similar encounter, eating lunch in World Cafe, reached for glass, somehow knocked fork onto floor. Went to counter to get replacement, got back to table just as waiter was picking up plate to clear fable. 

Since then I take a small bag to leave on the table when going back to the counter, to indicate it is still in use. 

(Note, the bag is not used to reserve the table prior to sitting there, just to indicate to the wait staff that we haven't finished eating so will be back in a moment and not to remove plates/drinks.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2022 at 1:06 AM, SJD117 said:

A diagnosis of Stage 4 metastatic melanoma, this year, has scared me away from sun exposure. 

@SJD117 article in WaPo today. I would link to it, but I have tried on a few occasions to reach out to you with info and my posts are denied. I hope you find it helpful. 

1 hour ago, millybess said:

@SJD117 article in WaPo today. I would link to it, but I have tried on a few occasions to reach out to you with info and my posts are denied. I hope you find it helpful. 

Thank you so much! I found the article on WaPo and read it with great interest. Appreciate the information!