Pool chair hogs ?

doowopbob

We are cruising on Viking for the first time this December.  Our last cruise in the tropics was on Oceania.  Unless you went out and "reserved" a couple of chairs by the pool by 6:30am you were out of luck most days.  Even though Oceania had a sign up stating that, if the chairs were unoccupied for a certain length of time the items would be removed, this was never enforced.  Is this a problem on Viking also ?  

32 minutes ago, doowopbob said:

We are cruising on Viking for the first time this December.  Our last cruise in the tropics was on Oceania.  Unless you went out and "reserved" a couple of chairs by the pool by 6:30am you were out of luck most days.  Even though Oceania had a sign up stating that, if the chairs were unoccupied for a certain length of time the items would be removed, this was never enforced.  Is this a problem on Viking also ?  

Nope. Fake news.

Everyone on Viking is sophisticated, mature and considerate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

I have never seen the pool chairs full on a Viking cruise yet.  Perhaps we are not travelling on the high demand pool chair cruises... but...   To me the pool area can be hard to get a seat at the pool bar and grill, but not around the pool.

• Like 5

We had a couple "hogs" on a recent British Isles Explorer sea day.  All chairs/lounges on the outside edges of the pool area (those by the windows facing out) were "reserved" or had people in place.  We were on a couch reading for almost 90 minutes when finally the empty chairs were approached, the books and clothing items scooped up and the "hogs" were gone in seconds.  When some loungers in the next section complained as they passed by, "oh, they are available now" was the back talk we heard.  Our first experience with that rudeness on Viking.

We have seen the same thing that traveljkkk reported - chairs facing the windows on the outside of the pool area are the most popular no matter what the weather and people do seem to put stuff to reserve them.  However I have never seen the loungers facing and around the pool full.  The chairs around the infinity pool are more popular then the big pool.  Maybe because you get pool, sun and a nice view.  There are also loungers on both port and starboard sides of deck 8.  On our Atlantic crossing these upper deck chairs were especially popular once we reached the warmer waters and the Caribbean but never full.  

This post made me laugh.  We have been on eight VO cruises and on EVERY one you can see the "looking out to sea'  loungers "reserved" before breakfast with books, sweaters, towels, shoes(!), and even a laptop on one occasion.  I always laugh and think it would be great fun to pick up everything and take it to the lost and found.  Personally do not see the appeal ... I can lounge and look out to sea from my stateroom and I don't need to get dressed to do so!

We have never really sailed on a warmer itinerary cruise so can't speak to the pool loungers but will have occasion to observe in December when we take our Panama Canal cruise.  

• Like 5

We’ve taken to Viking Cruises, one in the spring and one in the fall, neither to warm-weather places. We did see a few reserved seats, but we didn’t check to see how long they remained empty. Maybe their owners just went to the bathroom or something. In any case, we had no trouble finding a seat by the pool most days.

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

This post made me laugh.  We have been on eight VO cruises and on EVERY one you can see the "looking out to sea'  loungers "reserved" before breakfast with books, sweaters, towels, shoes(!), and even a laptop on one occasion.  I always laugh and think it would be great fun to pick up everything and take it to the lost and found.  Personally do not see the appeal ... I can lounge and look out to sea from my stateroom and I don't need to get dressed to do so!

We have never really sailed on a warmer itinerary cruise so can't speak to the pool loungers but will have occasion to observe in December when we take our Panama Canal cruise.  

We had the same experience - as well as around the infinity pool. It was at times frustrating, particularly on sea days. I don’t get it either. If everyone just uses it for the time they are actually there, everyone will likely have a change to enjoy them at some point during the day. I like your lost and found idea! Ha!

For me this is a new phenomena on Viking. Our last cruise Aug-Sept had all the outfacing chairs with stuff on them as we went to breakfast on sea days.

Similar reserved seating bad behavior upstairs in Explorer lounge. Loud large groups taking reserving all chairs, no not Steve's folks from MyFace. 🙂  
Never noticed on 3 pre-Covid cruises. Guest behavior has changed.

Edited by philw1776

2 hours ago, philw1776 said:

For me this is a new phenomena on Viking. Our last cruise Aug-Sept had all the outfacing chairs with stuff on them as we went to breakfast on sea days.

Similar reserved seating bad behavior upstairs in Explorer lounge. Loud large groups taking reserving all chairs, no not Steve's folks from MyFace. 🙂  
Never noticed on 3 pre-Covid cruises. Guest behavior has changed.

We ran into this on the Orion in January. It seemed like some of the people in the suites on that level treated the upper level of the Explorers Lounge as their own special area…

They were so loud that you could hear them on the lower level…

• Like 1

Carnival just updated / enforcing their policy:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1121/kw/lounge

RESERVING SUN LOUNGERS

Carnival has a system designed to ensure that all guests are able to enjoy equal access to sun loungers by preventing seat saving in outdoor deck areas. 

Shipboard team members monitor sun lounge usage and if they observe a seat that contains a towel or personal belongings but appears to be unoccupied, a notification is placed on the chair indicating the current time. If the chair remains unoccupied for 40 minutes, the contents are removed and held for the guest’s safekeeping. 

Guests are advised of the system via public address announcements by the cruise director, signage in outdoor deck areas, messages displayed on the Seaside Theater poolside LED screen, as well as notices in HUB App.

ChairsChairs1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2022 at 5:42 AM, molymoo said:

I do this on any cruise that I am on if I want to use a chair and the stuff has been on the chair to long.  An alternative is to take the stuff and move it to another location on the ship.  Before anyone accuses me a stealing someone's stuff - I am not stealing it.  I am relocating it.

DON

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On a prior Viking cruise I walked thru the pool area on the way to breakfast.  Noticed all the "occupied" chaises with no bodies attached to them.  After breakfast I again went thru the pool area on the way to my cabin.  Got my tablet and phone and went up to the pool.  Saw the same unoccupied chaises.

I promptly removed the book and sunglasses and the towel.  Placed it ever so gingerly on the window ledge. I sat for two hours, and then left.

• Like 6

With the proliferation of extremely rude chair hogs maybe we need to return to the way it was done on the Transatlantic Liners.  Crossing to England on QE2 the padded loungers in the dedicated lounger area were booked for the voyage.  Not that expensive but your lounger and attendants were available whenever you wished to use them.  No hogs of any type....🍸

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Definitely chair hogs on the Star this week! Books and personal items on the chairs by 7 AM on sea days. With only 24 loungers available at the infinity pool, they go fast. 

So sad and disappointing

07789EBB-AEE0-42BA-B256-8F6CF7D8F665.jpeg

• Like 1