Explorer Virus Breakout

I was just on the Radiance OS 2/19 and there was a kid who was throwing up (alot) by the pool in front of everyone. Obviously had the virus - he looked sick. Mother got up, somewhat cleaned it up and we thought he was going to be taken care of in his stateroom. 10 minutes later I saw him and his mother at BINGO!!!! This is why the virus spreads! I hated to do it but I informed the wait staff and they had someone check him out and I think he got quarantiened (spelling) to his room for a day or so...I did not want my own kid to get sick..We do not touch the elevator buttons, the hand rails and we are neurotic about washing. As for the towels, use your arm and get a piece and use the piece ot turn off the sink and open the door,...it worked for us!

If you think the hand sanitizer is going to keep you well, go to the store before you leave and buy some of the trial sizes that will fit in your pocket then you have it at all times.

The cruise lines clean and try to control the illness, however you are supposed to report upon check in if you have been exposed to any thing prior to boarding. How many people do you think are truthful? My bet is none.

If you go to the CDC website the best way to fight NORO viruses is HAND WASHING not just sanitizer. Although, if you have children I typically recommend both, they can wash their hands and touch their face, faster than you can blink your eyes.

One other thing to remember is you hear about all of this happening on cruise ships, however the larger stage for this actually is AIRPLANES. People fly in an airplane that recirulates the same air for the flight. Someone on board has Strep, Noro virus, Flu. other people on board in a few days will catch this. Airlines don't have to report it because you typically do not get sick while onboard as you do on a cruise. My point is not always is it on the ship when you board, someone most of the time has brought it on.

I do agree with the posters above, you cannot expect even $1.00 compensation if you get sick onboard and don't even bother to report it. To make a claim on your insurance you must have proof, normally a police report for auto and a doctors bill or pharmacy receipt for medical. What proof does RCL have that your friend was sick, none, therefore to them your friend was not sick.

Good luck to everyone on their upcoming cruises, wash your hands and enjoy.

beachlady, I do the same thing in the rest room. I learned that in the sanitation class I took in cooking school.

ga-shel, I agree. You can carry your own. I do. I also have antibacterial wipes that I use to wipe down the table in the buffet before we sit down and eat. The wipes also work great for my little ones' hands when they're a little too grimy for just the gel. It is amazing how many things they can touch between the restroom and the table! :rolleyes: So far, so good. It's worked for us too.

Just curious but why do you think there could be any sort of compensation for being ill on a cruise???

It´s sad your frind missed a portion of the cruise experience due to being ill, but ship happens. Ans outbreaks of gastro intestinal viruses are very common especially throughout the winter month.

I have a similar thought, as I work in a school, where illnesses can spread rapidly. We look at illnesses as a risk of the job and try to do our best to protect ourselves, but realize it is bound to happen from time to time...Any situation where you have a lot of people in an enclosed area can lead to illness spreading more easily. I believe if the cruiseline is following the best practices for cleaning than they are not responsible in cases like this. However, if they are not keeping things as clean as they should, that is a different story.

I suspect that by the time RCI or any cruise ship, drags out the gel it's way too late and it's the equivalant of trying to stuff toothpaste back in the tube! It appears that they put out the gel whenever there is a reported case of illness since placement seems to come and go. All I am saying is to not depend on any ship or any institution to monitor your health and saftey. Don't complain if there is no gel, wash your hands. If you want to carry it then by all means do so but wash your hands too. If the cruiseline has not placed it out then find another way.

As for the sick kid at the pool. SHAME on his mother. Let's endanger the entire ship because we don't want, "OUR" vacation spoiled. If you're a parent then you are automatically giving up a certain amount of fun time to raise the kids. I would have loved to lie in bed today and just read but since I have kids this is not possible. If one of them gets sick then we cancel doing other things. Why can't people figure this out? It just amazes me how "me first" people can be when it comes to a vacation.

To the folks advocating hand gels in the buffet lines ... nice thought, but they are anti-bacterial gels. They aren't effective against viruses and that's what these people caught.

In other words, RCCL could have hosed the Windjammer down in hand gel to the point that it was oozing off of every table and the same 200+ folks still would have gotten sick.

If you prefer to use an anti-bacterial gel, you can buy a small bottle at any store back home and carry it with you everywhere. It will not protect you from a virus.

I really don't see how this is RCCL's fault. Germs happen.

Are you listening RCL...Cruisers WANT to wash their hands prior to entering the buffet. why not provide the gel as an ongoing precaution.

Well we had this discussion a few days ago already but anyway I´ll post it again.

RCCL probably does not provide the gel as an ongoing precaution because it would do no good. It creates resistancies for the germs, it´s not good for the peoples skin and the main reason why RCCL won´t listen to the cruisers as you state is probably that they listen more to authorities like the CDC and the CDC states clearly in non health care environments hand washing is most sufficient and much better than hand sanitizing.

Number 1: The gel on RCI ships is not just anti-bacterial. Anti-Bacterial gels contain microbe killing compounds such as Triclosan which you will see in just about every hand soap out there anymore. The gel in the little plastic orbs on RCI ships is simply alcohol which kills bacteria AND viruses. Triclosan makes anti-biotic resistant germs, alcohol does not. Which is why they use alcohol and not Triclosan.

Number 2: No matter what precautions you take, unless you walk around in a hermetically sealed bubble, you are more than likely going to be exposed to bacteria and virus no matter what precautions you take. Whether you contract something depends on into which orifices you shove your digits, and the current state of your immune system-- neither of which is the responsibility of RCI.

Number 3: Life is Hazardous to your Health. (don't put it on a T-shirt, I already have the copyrite ;)) Sometimes we get sick. End of story.

Lokip53,

Good point on number one. All alcohol gels (e.g. Purel, Dial) are anti-MICROBIAL, though they tend to advertise them as anti-BACTERIAL. I suppose most people identify the word bacteria rather than microbe. They DO kill viruses and there is no resistance known to develop from their use. Need at least 60% alcohol, up to 95% for the best protection. Interestingly, 100% alcohol is LESS effective. Some water is needed to make the alcohol have the greatest affect. Fortunately, all the alcohol gels available have water in them as well.

Number 2: No matter what precautions you take, unless you walk around in a hermetically sealed bubble, you are more than likely going to be exposed to bacteria and virus no matter what precautions you take. Whether you contract something depends on into which orifices you shove your digits, and the current state of your immune system-- neither of which is the responsibility of RCI.

Number 3: Life is Hazardous to your Health. (don't put it on a T-shirt, I already have the copyrite ;)) Sometimes we get sick. End of story.

Truer words were never spoken.

It seems that every winter you hear of cases of norovirus hitting a cruise ship. It's the law of probability. Over 3000 people in close quarters and your chances of picking up any kind of bug go up. Three years ago there had been reports of norovirus just before our cruise and crew members could be seen wiping down handrails, etc. throughout the ship.

Well, I knew this thread would be showing up......

DW, who has worked in the healthcare field for over 20 yrs, states that alcohol does NOT kill a virus. Take that for what it's worth, as everyone already has their own minds made up.

Fact, frequent handwashing is the key to avoiding any illness that is spread by virus.

We'll be leaving on Explorer OTS on 2 April, and we are NOT going to worry about NORO Virus.

....it's full of alcohol which dries my hands to paper and the number of people that pass it by is so incredibly high.

Does that mean that passengers between 18-21 have to have a waiver signed by a parent or guardian in order to use it?

We were on Adventure and Brilliance last year and there were plenty of sanitizing gel stations around.

You can put the gel out but that does not mean people will use it. Blame the people who go on their cruise sick because they do not want to cancel and lose their money. They just make other people sick. Just like the people who go to work sick and give it to everyone else. why is it people always want compensation.

On aother note read another board saying a woman got a letter from Carnival that their was German Measles onboard a ship and told her she may want to check into this. That did not make the news did it.

DW, who has worked in the healthcare field for over 20 yrs, states that alcohol does NOT kill a virus. Take that for what it's worth, as everyone already has their own minds made up.

You got me curious with that statement, so I did a little research. According to this link from the Colorado State University (similar info is available elsewhere, as well), gels containing alcohol are effective against "most viruses". The mechanism seems to be stripping the outer layer of oils off of the skin. The key is rubbing your hands with the gel for at least 30 seconds. That's really the same thing accomplished by a vigorous hand-washing as well.

jtmalt is on the money. Don't take my word for it. Google all you like. There are numerous relevant resources (scientific/university sites) on the web that confirm that alcohol does kill viruses.

If we insist on being around people we take a risk...the more the people the more the risk...especially if we are around kids...doctors, nurses, are especially aware of these risk...I wonder sometime why they are not always sick...perhaps they have built up an immunity?? Of course we could always wear a mask and gloves..that would look cool..:) Perhaps that will become the next trend...designer mask...probably would not go over very well in banks.mmmmmm I guess I will to do some more work on that idea.....

The key is rubbing your hands with the gel for at least 30 seconds. That's really the same thing accomplished by a vigorous hand-washing as well.

Could it be there are other ingredients contained in some gels that are effective against the viruses? The "hand sanitizers" are used in the hospital, but not for use against a virus. They are very effective against germs, which cause infections. Again, alcohol, by itself, will not kill a virus. Likewise, antibiotics are not effective against a virus. Also, do you believe everything you read on the internet? I will try that google search and see if there is any reference to alcohol killing a virus.

Guest cvbart
Using the anti bacteria gel is not the same as washing your hands. And if "cruisers want to wash their hands prior to entering the buffet", no one is stopping them. Why is no one willing to take responsibility for themselves anymore? Someone always wants compensation for something.

I agree. In this day and age most large companies are unwilling to take any responsibility for doing the right thing.

Your right that the cruise line is almost never responsible for compensation for problems.

Is it the right thing to do? You be the judge.

Archived