Taxi questions for Old San Juan

Sun Lover

Do cabs in Old San Juan accept cards or do we need to bring cash?  Does anyone about how much the fare would be from the Pan American pier to Barrachina in Old San Juan?  And also the fare from Barrachina to SJU airport?  Would we be better off taking cabs or Ubers?

Pre-pandemic, we were one of the first ones to use Uber...when Uber was finally allowed in San Juan.

We highly recommend Uber.

I posted a more accurate amout/cost of Uber on the Puerto Rico thread...but if I remember correctly, the cost of Uber from the Pan American cruise terminal to Old San Juan was only about $5.50 before tip. Not sure about the cost from OSJ to the airport.

Pre-pandemic, a taxi from Old San Juan to the airport was around $25. Their taxis are regulated so they have flat fees based on "zones" that you're traveling to/from/within.  They also charge a small fee per suitcase, so the more luggage you have, the more it will cost. 

The last time I was there, I seem to remember that Uber had just started to be allowed, but they weren't letting them into the taxi area at the airport and you had to leave the airport property to meet up with them.

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Pre-pandemic, a taxi from Old San Juan to the airport was around $25. Their taxis are regulated so they have flat fees based on "zones" that you're traveling to/from/within.  They also charge a small fee per suitcase, so the more luggage you have, the more it will cost. 

The last time I was there, I seem to remember that Uber had just started to be allowed, but they weren't letting them into the taxi area at the airport and you had to leave the airport property to meet up with them.

We must've been there around the same time :classic_smile:.

I can confirm that there were designated spots at the airport (not outside the airport property), when we were there.

* When w arrived, there was a sign on the wall by baggage claim and a very nice airport employee took us to the designated Uber spot outside. Same thing on our return...the Uber dropped us off at the airport.

• Like 1