Cruise Insurance

Gpilon

I have in the past read terrific recommendations of a company that provides cruise insurance, but I have lost the info. Would certainly appreciate input from those who have used this company. 

10 minutes ago, islandhalls said:

When I asked for help, many recommended Steve Dasseos. Steve@tripinsurancestore.com

i was quite impressed with his knowledge and service. 

Steve Dasseos

That his the info I was looking for, and now remember. Many thanks for the speedy reply.

HI

Just curious - does this mean you plan to buy your Cruise Ship / Trip Insurance outside from your cruise line?

On NCL - they add 'trip insurance' as a line Item I can buy.

I am trying to find Pro/Cons of going outside of NCL to buy my trip insurance.

Thanks

Read the fine print for coverage and exclusions and cost compared to “private” trip insurance.  The cruise line insurance is usually more expensive and has less coverage.

some Ins do’s will allow you to ensure the deposit amount at booking to enable the existing condition waiver, and you can the increase the coverage to the full cost at final payment.

we always choose private insurance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, makai 7 said:

Read the fine print for coverage and exclusions and cost compared to “private” trip insurance.  The cruise line insurance is usually more expensive and has less coverage.

some Ins do’s will allow you to ensure the deposit amount at booking to enable the existing condition waiver, and you can the increase the coverage to the full cost at final payment.

we always choose private insurance.

Looked into the insurance pretty thoroughly. Our TA is very familiar with us and our medical histories and found us an excellent plan and premium…..cheaper that what RSSC offers with better and more coverage. Purchased it today for our March TA on Splendor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gpilon said:

Looked into the insurance pretty thoroughly. Our TA is very familiar with us and our medical histories and found us an excellent plan and premium…..cheaper that what RSSC offers with better and more coverage. Purchased it today for our March TA on Splendor.

Would love to know your insurance choice.  We are sailing on the Splendor in April/May.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 8:43 PM, CHIP0905 said:

HI

Just curious - does this mean you plan to buy your Cruise Ship / Trip Insurance outside from your cruise line?

Thanks

Compare policies and premiums on line.  Regent charges 8% of the cruise cost (I believe).  I have always found as good or better policies on line at a cheaper premium.  There are lots of websites to compare policies, I tend to use insuremytrip.com.  You don't have to buy through them, you can simply compare policies and go directly to the company if you wish.  But cruise line insurance will not cover your air fare if you book independently, nor any pre or post cruise stays if you don't book through the Cruise line. 

• Like 2

We have used Travel guard and Travel insured, both through TAs.  Had claims with both, one time each, and the agents were exceptionally helpful with getting the claims submitted and paid quickly.   E was for the TAP debacle.  The other was a trip delay of one day due to weather in Barcelona.  The ship could not get into port to let the current passengers off and we could not embark.  
no complaints with either company.

• Like 1

Earlier this week we booked a transatlantic for next April. Purchased travel insurance from our TA. When we did this in the past, we were sold an AIG policy - this time it was with a company called Zurich. I’d never heard of them before but the coverage is significantly greater that what we had previously and the reviews are very positive.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:43 PM, CHIP0905 said:

HI

Thanks

Hi Folks. 

First - thank you to all who posted w/ some advice. Very helpful.

Here is what we decided is right for us

- We started at squaremouth.com & picked a 3rd party Insurance (John Handcock)

- More Coverage / Less Money

I read a bunch of 1-star/5-star reviews on a few of the Insurance Companies. The 1-star reviewers had about the same to say for all "I thought I was covered for this, but..." or "Filed, but haven't heard back". // The 5-star reviews mostly were for "easy of purchase" 

image.png.2f98530670241fcea07d8f6f285612e3.png

Thanks again.

Edited by CHIP0905

On 11/10/2022 at 8:41 AM, Gpilon said:

Look into Travel Guard, which our TA sourced for us.

One thing you may very well want to remember/consider is that if you have a pre-existing condition that any plan you buu covers that. A reputable TA should be able to navigate it for you with their offered policies. 

• Like 1