Live From The Getaway..... 1-8-2023

Laszlo

8 minutes ago, justhappy said:

That’s got to be on deck 9. I had 9916 on the Getaway in 2019. Sooo much balcony space ❤️

Yup, mine is port side.

It's a fantastic balcony.

Because I have a third person who sleeps late in the living room I do wish the configuration was one that had the master bed at the balcony with the additional entrance rather than the bathroom with shower and tub windows. I'm sure I would have utilized the balcony in the morning more often if it was that way.

I disrupt my son to come out, but in and out and in and out is a bit rude in my opinion (even if it is my offspring who has me to thank for his life 😉)

20230117_110447.thumb.jpg.a12cc31b97e247913f77e4b4a926ec6e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

While @Laszloenjoys a lazy morning in the Haven, I have been enjoying an equally lazy one on that there disarranged looking lounger. 20230117_104634.thumb.jpg.014866195696b18cd160cbff939b9664.jpg

Wowza! I had heard deck nine balconies were gigantic. I guess so, especially when compared to my deck 13 aft balcony suite. Yes, it's mine! 🙂 Oftentimes, when scooting around the base of the lounger, I feel as if I'm about to land on that overhang above your balcony. It's pretty tight, but I can't complain! Deck 13 still fits loungers and a table, just not so luxuriously as yours. 

Enjoy that beauty! 

54 minutes ago, RadioPeri said:

Oy. As someone who doesn't think you should have to pay an upcharge for decent food -- set to board this Friday -- this saddens and distresses me. 😟

The pizza is great! And do be sure to try the Indian food, often! On Getaway it's all the way at the back of the buffet. I didn't try the chicken fingers, but they did look decent. There is a salad bar. Just don't make my mistake. I found the salad bar, but it also had potato salad, coleslaw, etc. If I had walked a few feet forward, I would have found a salad bar that had the toppings (tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, etc). That would have made my salad better than the greens and cheese I found at the first one. The Chinese food looks good too. I did have one of the dishes and it was adequate. A little lower than your Chinese food joint, but not bad.

Also! At tea time (3:30 - 5 snack time in the Garden Cafe) they have one great red velvet cake. Do be sure to try that out! It's moist and tasty. 

You can always try out the main dining room. It's good and you can order all you want. Portions are small. Also, I forgot what ship you're going on - if it has Shanghai Noodle Bar, you're in for a real treat! It is amazing and included!

45 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

As much as I think @cruiseny4lifeis the bee's knees, I do not agree in whole with his assessment of the buffet. 

I generally like a sit down meal for all my mains, but will go to the buffet for a hold me over or lunch on occasion. I'm pretty picky in what I select though as I've learned what tends to just "look good" vs. taste that way over many sailings.

Of course I still make mistakes (I'm talking to you supposed "miso" soup station) but generally I think the buffet is fine if you keep it simple.

Haha, I'll go with this as being picky is best. I am sure that there is decent food each day. You just have to search it out and I didn't find it the four or five times I tried. 🙂 I haven't had the guts to try the broth soup labeled "pho." I think it would be good, but I don't want to be disappointed. This "miso" soup is making me think I might be correct. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wowza! I had heard deck nine balconies were gigantic. I guess so, especially when compared to my deck 13 aft balcony suite. Yes, it's mine! 🙂 Oftentimes, when scooting around the base of the lounger, I feel as if I'm about to land on that overhang above your balcony. It's pretty tight, but I can't complain! Deck 13 still fits loungers and a table, just not so luxuriously as yours. 

Enjoy that beauty! 

I think the overhang you referred to is the one over deck 8 (whatever that outside walk is called ? waterfront maybe?)

20230117_113159.thumb.jpg.0b0466b42f18bf0072c6eb129847a2ec.jpg

I keep thinking my phone is going to slip my grip and fall on top of it and then unceremoniously bounce it's way into the ocean as I tend to support it there when taking sunrise/set or really any scenic photos back here.

That overhang above this balcony is deck 10s balcony

20230117_113236.thumb.jpg.cadc1043297d7b23225a74c29a25aeff.jpg

Regardless of those details, yes, it's huge and fabulous. We have had two lunches out here and may consider doing that later today if Francis isn't already bombarded with requests.

As I noted that my son is (late)sleeping in the living room (not to mention my husband is sleeping later than me as well), but also because I don't wake on an internal clock so it fluctuates, we have not ordered coffee or breakfast to the cabin and likely won't the remaining either. And considering that it may be too cold or motiony (is that a word?) The next couple days I think today I plan to get my fill out here.

My husband and son (who reluctantly got up about 20 minutes ago to join my husband already there...fyi that was 11:30 as we're still on Atlantic time) are getting in some Haven hot tub and pool time right now.

45 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

I think the overhang you referred to is the one over deck 8 (whatever that outside walk is called ? waterfront maybe?)

20230117_113159.thumb.jpg.0b0466b42f18bf0072c6eb129847a2ec.jpg

I keep thinking my phone is going to slip my grip and fall on top of it and then unceremoniously bounce it's way into the ocean as I tend to support it there when taking sunrise/set or really any scenic photos back here.

That overhang above this balcony is deck 10s balcony

20230117_113236.thumb.jpg.cadc1043297d7b23225a74c29a25aeff.jpg

Regardless of those details, yes, it's huge and fabulous. We have had two lunches out here and may consider doing that later today if Francis isn't already bombarded with requests.

As I noted that my son is (late)sleeping in the living room (not to mention my husband is sleeping later than me as well), but also because I don't wake on an internal clock so it fluctuates, we have not ordered coffee or breakfast to the cabin and likely won't the remaining either. And considering that it may be too cold or motiony (is that a word?) The next couple days I think today I plan to get my fill out here.

My husband and son (who reluctantly got up about 20 minutes ago to join my husband already there...fyi that was 11:30 as we're still on Atlantic time) are getting in some Haven hot tub and pool time right now.

You are correct! I just saw the "roof" of your balcony and went with it...but yes, the deck 8 overhang. I always looked at it as my "insurance" if I dropped my phone, but you're right, it' would probably bounce off and projectile its' way into the murky depths of the Atlantic. 

Francis is seriously delightful! Best butler we've had on NCL. We had him on that cruise I was "live'ing" from. See, I like creating my own words too. 🙂 I bet he'll get you that lunch today. What a perfect place for lunch, eh? 

I ordered pastries and coffee one morning, our first morning, of our first cruise back in April. Never again! I just don't know when I'll wake up, when I'll be hungry. My husband will always be up and ready to eat by 8 AM. Me? It might be 10 before I'm up or hungry, or it could be 5 AM. I hate those fluctations! 

Ugh, I wanna be in the hot tub in the Haven! Haha...seriously, I think I survive only because of reports like yours and @Laszlo and @JIMESOPUS. I'm back to ho hum office park life while you're living your best life. Keep on enjoying! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

We have had two lunches out here and may consider doing that later today if Francis isn't already bombarded with requests.

Did Francis tell you he "smiles like a banana" on embarkation day? It did ring true throughout our cruise.

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Enjoy that beauty! 

I’m so glad you brought this up! I was going to tag you to ask about the deck 13 aft. I know there’s more space on the suite balconies, but did you happen to notice if your neighbors in the regular aft balconies could fit a lounger out there? We booked later than usual for our upcoming cruise and were really quite lucky to get an aft-facing two doors away from another regular balcony for my mom and son, so I’m not complaining but I would love to have a lounger out there like I have in previous aft-facing balconies on other decks.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You are correct! I just saw the "roof" of your balcony and went with it...but yes, the deck 8 overhang. I always looked at it as my "insurance" if I dropped my phone, but you're right, it' would probably bounce off and projectile its' way into the murky depths of the Atlantic. 

Francis is seriously delightful! Best butler we've had on NCL. We had him on that cruise I was "live'ing" from. See, I like creating my own words too. 🙂 I bet he'll get you that lunch today. What a perfect place for lunch, eh? 

I ordered pastries and coffee one morning, our first morning, of our first cruise back in April. Never again! I just don't know when I'll wake up, when I'll be hungry. My husband will always be up and ready to eat by 8 AM. Me? It might be 10 before I'm up or hungry, or it could be 5 AM. I hate those fluctations! 

Ugh, I wanna be in the hot tub in the Haven! Haha...seriously, I think I survive only because of reports like yours and @Laszlo and @JIMESOPUS. I'm back to ho hum office park life while you're living your best life. Keep on enjoying! 

3685E232-A5AF-48E6-ABAD-3F54EDC4A409.jpeg

A5D0D776-5AD7-4F9E-A8EA-258C7AE9B924.jpeg

93760DE7-5AD8-4864-842B-8FA7C78F061D.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2023 at 4:19 PM, Laszlo said:

6345DEA0-F846-41CB-A270-D403574BFB5B.jpeg

D329DBB7-E96F-4FB8-A80E-6F378B1D15D0.jpeg

3B6B830A-CDED-4466-B687-7F784E537B34.jpeg

5EE40273-E005-40C8-A98A-EABDB9A4E3CE.jpeg

4FC3FB68-8604-4B30-80FC-9F3BE6A6CEFA.jpeg

about how long does it take to pass through this area and the Statue of Liberty? We have dinner reservations at 6pm on the first night but I want to be outside and see those views beforehand. We are to set sail at 5pm. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

3685E232-A5AF-48E6-ABAD-3F54EDC4A409.jpeg

A5D0D776-5AD7-4F9E-A8EA-258C7AE9B924.jpeg

93760DE7-5AD8-4864-842B-8FA7C78F061D.png

Mmmm, those cocktails, 3 more days, I can't wait!! I'll probably only have a couple dessert type drinks though, I'm mostly a cosmo, lemondrop, lavendar martini, whiskey sour type of gal (I could go on & on with my list of faves, but I'll spare you all, lol!) Thanks Laszlo for sharing your cruise with us all!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bubba83 said:

about how long does it take to pass through this area and the Statue of Liberty? We have dinner reservations at 6pm on the first night but I want to be outside and see those views beforehand. We are to set sail at 5pm. 

It really depends on if the ship departs on time.  I've spent time last summer trying to photograph the NCL ships leaving NY Harbor and it's a total crapshoot.  RCL you can set your watch to but not NCL.

That said, once the ship it takes about 45min to an hour to reach the Statue of Liberty.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

This is exactly why it would be nice if they are accommodating as long as a person isn’t asking for anything they’re not already entitled to within reason. Heck, you guys aren’t even eating everything you are entitled to, so it would be nice if you could take your dessert to eat when you want. I mean, diners where I live will wrap up dessert that’s included with your dinner to go when you’re too full for it; you’d think the “fine dining” on NCL could work with you 🙄.

I am not personally bothered by the 1-1-1-1, because I have never ordered more than that anyway (combination of I just couldn’t eat more than that and I really try to avoid food waste, even on vacation). But the rigidity is what irks me—like what if someone wanted to use one of their FAS meals and order 3 apps and nothing else, or something like that? It certainly isn’t costing NCL more money that way, so why not let people have a little flexibility? I mean, first-world problems, right? But it just seems like a foolish issue for NCL to choose to get people annoyed about.

so is Norwegian not allowing people to order more than 1 app, main course or dessert?

1 hour ago, bubba83 said:

so is Norwegian not allowing people to order more than 1 app, main course or dessert?

In the MDRs and other complimentary venues you can still order whatever you want. It now says in the terms and conditions for the specialties included with the FAS that you may order one app, one soup OR salad, one entree, and one dessert. Not sure what people’s actual experiences have been with asking for any deviation from that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bubba83 said:

It’s about 30 minutes, and about one hour to the bridge 

Any truth to the rumors of smoke stack issues? Folks who recently went on Getaway stated H20 was not useable due to smoke and maintenance ongoing. We’re scheduled to go onboard after your cruise. Many thanks for post of dailies. Very excited as info was great. Concerned about that smoke though.

• Like 1

I happen to looked at my onboard account yesterday and noticed it was $110 in the positive. Got $50 for not having the behind scenes  ship tour (I had gone to guest services to try and sign up for it) I also got $60 back for “Internet Cafe” Nobody could tell me why, not the internet person nor the person at guest services….. I’m taking the cash and running

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, cementhands said:

Any truth to the rumors of smoke stack issues? Folks who recently went on Getaway stated H20 was not useable due to smoke and maintenance ongoing. We’re scheduled to go onboard after your cruise. Many thanks for post of dailies. Very excited as info was great. Concerned about that smoke though.

Haven’t heard anything, I’ll take a look

i have heard lots of complaints about the vibrations in the rear of the ship. We had dinner in the aft restaurants three times and couldn’t wait to get out 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cementhands said:

You can definitely smell exhaust at Spice, but I wouldn’t say it’s not usable. We’ve been out here the last 2 mornings.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cementhands said:

Any truth to the rumors of smoke stack issues? Folks who recently went on Getaway stated H20 was not useable due to smoke and maintenance ongoing. We’re scheduled to go onboard after your cruise.

Oh my, I sure hope not. Hopefully if there is an issue, they can get it worked quickly, before we sailaway or at least w/in the first couple of days before we hit warmer weather.

8 minutes ago, Mike C said:

You can definitely smell exhaust at Spice, but I wouldn’t say it’s not usable. We’ve been out here the last 2 mornings.

Thanks 🙏  Looking forward to dancing 💃🏽 the night away at Spice H20 and sugarcane mojitos bar tooooo! I read the band is back in at Syds poorhouse tooo! So much negative reviews so ya gotta sift through for the good VIBES 😎 

• Like 1

So I was back at Spice H2O for about 15 minutes. IDK if anything is wrong per day but it stinks, then again the wind is also pushing the yellowish exhaust downward

A few nights again we saw the Fleetwood Mac band. I don’t get it, they were OK certainly not as good as the talk I heard about them. It seem like NCL just put the band together? I overheard one of the guitarists saying he is on the ship for 60 more days

We haven’t used our two person jacuzzi tub in our Haven Spa Balcony yet, mainly because it comes in really handy for dumping your bathing suits and snorkeling gear in 

AF8FB68C-D136-49B6-AE61-AE60083BA93B.jpeg

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

We haven’t used our two person jacuzzi tub in our Haven Spa Balcony yet, mainly because it comes in really handy for dumping your bathing suits and snorkeling gear in 

This is the purpose of the tubs on all of our cruises. They are storage spots.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

So I was back at Spice H2O for about 15 minutes. IDK if anything is wrong per day but it stinks, then again the wind is also pushing the yellowish exhaust downward

A few nights again we saw the Fleetwood Mac band. I don’t get it, they were OK certainly not as good as the talk I heard about them. It seem like NCL just put the band together? I overheard one of the guitarists saying he is on the ship for 60 more days

AF8FB68C-D136-49B6-AE61-AE60083BA93B.jpeg

I'm sure whoever cleans your room is grateful you do that, one less thing for them to clean on a daily basis.🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1