Need cabin booking advice for NCL Alaska Cruise - Stuido or Inside?

s318830

Hello all, I haven't been on these boards in an incredibly long time since it has been forever since my last cruise.  But the family and I are planning an Alaska cruise on NCL Encore with another family for late next June. I'm looking for advice from folks very familiar with the NCL studio cabins on Alaska trips specifically.

Question: Should I book my son into a Studio or an inside cabin when we book our tickets in the next couple of days?

Background Info/Questions:

• My son is in college and may or may not bring a girlfriend or friend with him. The girlfriend doesn't have a lot of money and we can't pay for her, so her attendance is really iffy. Not sure if he'd bring anyone else
  • We don't want to get stuck paying a double rate on an inside cabin for him if we get to the cruise and he's not bringing anyone.
  • Which cabins sell out quicker? The Insides or the Studios? My assumption is the studios
  • With that previous assumption, I'm further assuming I should book the studio for him now and change to an inside later if he does wind up bringing someone. But this is where the whole Alaska thing comes in - are insides easy to come by closer to the cruise for Alaska? Before I make this decision I want to check with folks who would know better than I
  • I've done one prior Alaska cruise, but only on another line that didn't have Studios as an option

Thank you!

On 11/2/2022 at 5:19 PM, s318830 said:

Question: Should I book my son into a Studio or an inside cabin when we book our tickets in the next couple of days?

Background Info/Questions:

• My son is in college and may or may not bring a girlfriend or friend with him. * * *

As noted by another, the specifics for NCL might better be addressed on a different board. But let me add my own experience on the more general issue that I think is embedded within the question. Beginning university (at age 18) was clearly a change point for me. Prior, my parents took care of everything financial for me, though I had by age 16 become more independent (e.g., taking railroad by myself into the big city, travel cross-country by Greyhound bus). After I started university, I made the decisions for myself, not only as to the travel itineraries but also paying for travel. I could only do what I could afford (on a poor university student's budget), downgrading where need be, not being careless or extravagant. Those who joined me in travel paid their own way. It does seem unfair that you would be in the position of paying for, and taking the risks, of a girlfriend's travel. It is part of maturing, of getting past high school and parental dependency, being able to make decisions and assume risks. When I read the question posted, it really seemed to me that it is a question that the young man, himself, ought to be asking, perhaps with parents guiding him as to the means of making the inquiry, if only so there might be full appreciation of the costs and risks involved.

• 2 weeks later...

@s318830I booked Encore late June last night in a studio.  I have done the studios on the Epic, and an inside on the Getaway.  When I looked at the prices it was about 700$ cheaper for me to do the studio.  Studios have some added benefits such as a concierge who planned great events during our Epic cruise including a bar hop, and seating at dinners and shows.  This may or may not benefit your son, as you are traveling as well.    The inside rooms right now even though it says "2nd guest free" are a 100% solo supplement.   These rooms are a little bit bigger but not necessarily nicer.  The bed in the studio is a full sized bed instead of two twins pushed together.  And on the Encore you get a virtual balcony.  Overall I think ( did)  book the studio. 

How old is your son?  I don't know what the rules are for the ship you are looking at or the cabin(s) you are looking at but if he is below a certain age you may not be allowed to book in as a solo in any cabin.  You need to check.  You may need to book one of the older folk into a cabin as a single and then switch cabins once you board.

DON