Nespresso Pods on Norwegian Spirit

jbcallender

We have a cruise coming up on SPIRIT in ten days and I was wondering what model nespresso machines are in the Penthouse Balcony rooms.  I would like to take some pods with me and want to make sure I get the right model pods.  I have keurig at home, so don't know much about Nespresso.  Many thanks!

I don't have personal experience with Spirit, but on the Breakaway and B+ class ships they have a Nespresso Citiz machine and use the "original" (Nespresso's nomenclature) pods. Basically, not the Vertuo pods.

In this video at 2:25, you can see the machine on Spirit and it's a Citiz just like Breakaway.

Edited by dandelpino

1 hour ago, dandelpino said:

I don't have personal experience with Spirit, but on the Breakaway and B+ class ships they have a Nespresso Citiz machine and use the "original" (Nespresso's nomenclature) pods. Basically, not the Vertuo pods.

In this video at 2:25, you can see the machine on Spirit and it's a Citiz just like Breakaway.

Thanks, this was very helpful.

What flavors/types does NCL use in these Nespresso machines?  Coffee only?  Any tea?  (wife only drinks decaffeinated)

On the Joy in December, so need to know if I should order any.

Edited by scooter6139

31 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

What flavors/types does NCL use in these Nespresso machines?  Coffee only?  Any tea?  (wife only drinks decaffeinated)

The original Nespresso line does espresso only. They have regular and decaf, but no regular coffee or tea.

44 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

On Breakaway last month they had 3 pod types: 1 was a ristretto, 1 was decaf, and 1 was a lungo. 

They offer Tea Forte teas in cabin as well. You can either run the nespresso machine (without a pod) to make hot-ish water or you can ask the butler for a pot of boiling water.

21 minutes ago, dandelpino said:

On Breakaway last month they had 3 pod types: 1 was a ristretto, 1 was decaf, and 1 was a lungo. 

They offer Tea Forte teas in cabin as well. You can either run the nespresso machine (without a pod) to make hot-ish water or you can ask the butler for a pot of boiling water.

I didn't know this! Thanks for the info! (I enjoy both, but the other half only likes tea.)

2 hours ago, thatjoeguy said:

The original Nespresso line does espresso only. They have regular and decaf, but no regular coffee or tea.

7 hours ago, jbcallender said:

We have a cruise coming up on SPIRIT in ten days and I was wondering what model nespresso machines are in the Penthouse Balcony rooms.  I would like to take some pods with me and want to make sure I get the right model pods.  I have keurig at home, so don't know much about Nespresso.  Many thanks!

A couple of recent cruises. 

image.thumb.png.179301f8b01d461af9e552a53b168b37.pngimage.thumb.png.f3db35b25b4c37b537d62176297e9472.png

image.png.b3c8bec5eb466b59c001ba8bbce81cc3.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

So I gather that you can only get an espresso from the machine?  I can't make a cup of coffee with it?

From my research, it only makes small amounts of coffee/espresso.  There are other types of coffee's it can make (search Amazon) but the size is super small.

• Ristretto. 25 ml.
  • Espresso. 40 ml.
  • Lungo. 110 ml.
Edited by scooter6139

1 minute ago, scooter6139 said:

From my research, it only makes small amounts of coffee/espresso.  There are other types of coffee's it can make (search Amazon) but the size is super small.

• Ristretto. 25 ml.
  • Espresso. 40 ml.
  • Lungo. 110 ml.

Yes, I saw notes on the pods that they make 3.5oz.  Not a big espresso person.

We were in the Haven on the Joy in September.  The pictures are accurate.  They use the original Nespresso pods.  That being said, I would not bring your own pods.  They will give you as many as you want.  Just tell your butler on the first day.  We had more pods and creamer than we’d ever use every day.  It was fabulous!  One of the best perks of these cabins!  The coffee is delicious.  And the pods are expensive.  I have a Nespresso at home that I use every day.  The best price I’ve found is around 70 cents per pod.

At home I often enjoy a large mug of coffee, but after having the Nespresso on the ship I bought a machine the month we were home.  Now I will mix it up depending on what is best at the time.

As others said, don't worry about bringing pods they will have decaf as part of the selection.

1 hour ago, lorif said:

At home I often enjoy a large mug of coffee, but after having the Nespresso on the ship I bought a machine the month we were home.  Now I will mix it up depending on what is best at the time.

As others said, don't worry about bringing pods they will have decaf as part of the selection.

Thank you....I don't do decaf, though.  I need full octane!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbcallender said:

So I gather that you can only get an espresso from the machine?  I can't make a cup of coffee with it?

Jeff, traveling this week, but wife knows all about the machines (must be all those years at Barney’s, Starbucks and Macys). The last three cruise, we had them and she made coffee every day. We were in Haven, so she was able to get just about any kind of flavor coffee pod. I’ll get back to you on what she says in a few days,

Al

1 hour ago, anyman said:

Jeff, traveling this week, but wife knows all about the machines (must be all those years at Barney’s, Starbucks and Macys). The last three cruise, we had them and she made coffee every day. We were in Haven, so she was able to get just about any kind of flavor coffee pod. I’ll get back to you on what she says in a few days,

Al

Ha, looks like I’m wrong. Just talked with wife and it is just a shot machine. Seems she was getting steamed milk from the butler every morning and was making lattes for herself, and ordered my  coffee at the same time.  If you’re in a penthouse unit, just order a large coffee delivered to the stateroom every morning.

2 hours ago, anyman said:

Al

Good ole Barney's, I remember it well!  Thank you.  See you in ten days!

19 hours ago, dandelpino said:

16 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

• Ristretto. 25 ml.
  • Espresso. 40 ml.
  • Lungo. 110 ml.

I didn't realize these were the types of espresso in each pod. I knew the different colors meant one was weaker, strong, and decaf. I stayed away from the bronze ones as I believe this was the decaf one. It better have been or I'll be mad at myself (and Nespresso for not labeling more clearly)! I don't believe in decaf coffee at all. The butler just said the blue one was a bit weaker and the black one was stronger. 

Do either of you know which color really does relate with the shots you've mentioned? Thanks so much! 

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

image.png.b3c8bec5eb466b59c001ba8bbce81cc3.png

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Do either of you know which color really does relate with the shots you've mentioned? Thanks so much! 

Educated guessing here, as I am looking at the Nespresso site to compare the looks/colors:

Black - Ristretto Italiano  (Powerful and Contrasting)

Blue - Tokyo Vivalto Lungo (Flowery and Complex)

Gold - Volutto Decaffeinato (Sweet and Light)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Educated guessing here, as I am looking at the Nespresso site to compare the looks/colors:

Black - Ristretto Italiano  (Powerful and Contrasting)

Blue - Tokyo Vivalto Lungo (Flowery and Complex)

Gold - Volutto Decaffeinato (Sweet and Light)

Thank you! I feel like a fool, sorry I could have taken a look at the Nespresso site. Ugh...sorry I made you do that! 

• Like 1