Upgrade bids extra charges?

travelgip

Someone on another thread said that if your upgrade bid is accepted, you are automatically charged additional $500 for added tips and insurance.  I put a bid in from a studio to a balcony (regular, not club or haven).  Is this true?  I have pre-paid for everything already, but wasn't aware that in addition to the bid price, there is additional fees to upgrade insurance (standard) and tips.

Thanks

NCL's price for their insurance packages is based upon the base cruise fare price that you pay.    So when you booked originally, if your cruise fare was $899 for one person, the price of Standard Insurance is $99.  If you bid $200 for an upgrade, you've now pushed your fare up to $1099.   The price of Standard Insurance for that fare is $119.  So in addition to paying the $200 for the upgrade, they will also add $20 to cover the price of Standard Insurance at $1099.

I don't know of a reason why your tips (or Daily Service Charge (DSC)) would change unless you moved into a suite, where those charges are indeed higher.

If you pre-pay your Daily Service Charge prior to your upgrade, you are all set. You will not face any extra DSC charge.

You will only have to pay the higher DSC if you do not pre-pay and let it go to your on-board account.  Then, you will be charged the prevailing rate for your new room.

You will only face an additional insurance fee if you (a) purchased NCL insurance AND (b) push your total pp expense into a higher "level" as @MeHeartCruising explained.

19 minutes ago, travelgip said:

Thank you for the replies.  I spoke to NCL agent who said going from studio to balcony will NOT incur any additional charges, either with insurance or tips - both pre-paid.

I appreciate everyone trying to help!

Great.  It's only $7, but I did just won an upgrade from inside to balcony and was charged the extra gratuities for the dining package.  I'm guessing the agent was thinking about the DSC only, but you will get an extra meal with the free at sea dining.  Of course, I'm assuming you didn't cancel the dining package, or booked a sail away cabin, which doesn't include the free at sea.  If you do have the dining package (which is only 1 meal for a studio unless you're on a cruise longer than 10 days), you will notice that you paid $10 gratuities for it.  The two meal package costs $17 in gratuities

17 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Great.  It's only $7, but I did just won an upgrade from inside to balcony and was charged the extra gratuities for the dining package.  I'm guessing the agent was thinking about the DSC only, but you will get an extra meal with the free at sea dining.  Of course, I'm assuming you didn't cancel the dining package, or booked a sail away cabin, which doesn't include the free at sea.  If you do have the dining package (which is only 1 meal for a studio unless you're on a cruise longer than 10 days), you will notice that you paid $10 gratuities for it.  The two meal package costs $17 in gratuities

I already upgraded both the drink package and dining packages and paid for both.  Agent said none of this is affected since I'm pre-paid.  I hope this is still true

1 hour ago, travelgip said:

I already upgraded both the drink package and dining packages and paid for both.  Agent said none of this is affected since I'm pre-paid.  I hope this is still true

cool.  Have a great trip.  It's hard not to :)

• Like 1