Beach after Lunch at Pancho’s Backyard

Luckyroot

Going to Cozumel on Oasis of the Seas in a few weeks. We want to go to Pancho’s backyard for lunch (shopping at Cinco Soles first) and then some beach time after. What would be a good beach?  Seems all the “good” beaches are AI - and since we’d only be there a couple hours at best, not worth it. Alternative plan would be a short island tour. Suggestions?

35 minutes ago, Luckyroot said:

Going to Cozumel on Oasis of the Seas in a few weeks. We want to go to Pancho’s backyard for lunch (shopping at Cinco Soles first) and then some beach time after. What would be a good beach?  Seems all the “good” beaches are AI - and since we’d only be there a couple hours at best, not worth it. Alternative plan would be a short island tour. Suggestions?

In town or Puerta Maya?

What constitutes a “good” beach in your opinion? What facilities are important?

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

In town or Puerta Maya?

What constitutes a “good” beach in your opinion? What facilities are important?

Just a nice clean beach with chair rental available. Anywhere within 1/2 hour of the cruise port and downtown (sailing Royal)

@c-leg5,   Sunset or Bucanos ?

@Luckyroot I f your Royal ship is docking at the International Pier, one option would be to go to Panchos at Playa Mia just on the other side of the International Pier.  Then turn and go back past the International pier to El Cid Cielo and use a day pass.  There are a couple of other spots right there as well, but can't recall their names.  Any way, no taxi needed.

35 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

@c-leg5,   Sunset or Bucanos ?

@Luckyroot I f your Royal ship is docking at the International Pier, one option would be to go to Panchos at Playa Mia just on the other side of the International Pier.  Then turn and go back past the International pier to El Cid Cielo and use a day pass.  There are a couple of other spots right there as well, but can't recall their names.  Any way, no taxi needed.

@crewsweeperThese are all good options but I got the impression the OP wanted a sandy beach with loungers. As you and I know, that is not going to happen close to International

OP, @Luckyrootif you want “sand” Palancar or Punta Morena are options. Both are a fair distance from International. Morena you will need to pay for your taxi to stay with you and nice beach but very careful ocean swimming. Palancar you will probably get a separate taxi back but I think both would be pushing it time wise.

If you are willing to compromise with man made sandy area with loungers, a lot more options. Buccanos has returned to my “in favor” list now they have amended their entrance fee for cruisers. $10 entrance fee, i think credited to food and drinks, nice pool small beach may be good option. Similar set up at Playa Azul next door but smaller. 

Money Bar might be a good option if you go to Panchos at Puerta Maya and just want to look at ocean, or snorkel. El Cid may let you PAYG, (haven’t heard anyone say that is possible recently)  - more like $20 with approx half credited to food and drink. We weren’t impressed with Sunset, more for snorkeling and diving or just rating drinking at a table.

Possibly look at Playa Uvas or Chankanaab for lower minimum entrance fees.

If you are at in town Panchos and just want a drink looking at the ocean from a lounger consider La Monina (happy hour 12-5) or Hemingways but no decent beach.

I suggest you Google all these places for photos and descriptions to see if any fit your needs. I feel with your time constraints you will need to compromise if you want to eat lunch separately. 

Edited by c-leg5

It would be a shame to drive all the way north into town to go to the original Los Cinco Soles and Panchos, to then have to go all the way back south, past the International pier to find a sandy beach.

Just go next door to Carnival's Puerto Maya pier area, like others have suggested and hit the newer Los Cinco Soles and Panchos Backyard. (we always hit them on our way back to our Carnival ship. Missed them when we went to Cozumel on NCL)

Then you are closer to the sandier beaches to the south.

C-leg5 gave you some great suggestions for non-AI beach options.

• 9 months later...