Considering Carnival for the first time…

Shona_winelover

Like others have mentioned, I would definitely look at doing at least a 7 or 8 day cruise. We just did a 5 day one and it reminded me again why we never do short cruises. It's potentially turned us off Carnival for awhile as well. But I'm not going to get into all of that in your post. Our on went on cruises when he was 13-15 and enjoyed his time on Carnival. And he always had plenty to eat. But, quality is way down, IMO right now on Carnival.

When we came to the UK we also did an 8-day cruise because of the same reason. The cost of the flights over there, we wanted to make it worth our time. And like you, we then spent a week on land - quick overnight to the west coast for something hubby wanted to go to, then 4 days in London.

• Thanks 1

I didn't read everything, but will also agree that 7 nights or longer would be the better "1st Carnival Experience."  Different crowd, different vibe.

Overall, I do think RCI has "nicer ships," but the newer Carnival ships are actually pretty nice.  I haven't been on the Vista, but was on the Horizon, and it was a very nice ship.  

I'll agree with the above, I do think quality is down right now, but I think the same could be said for RCI.  I think the same could be said a lot of places, really.  Sad, but it's just a different world right now.

• Thanks 1

Agree with others. Shorten your time at Universal and increase your cruise to 7 day minimum.  While the vibe difference isn't as huge between a 6 and a 7-8 (compared to a 3 night weekender), it is simply wasted time to commit extra to Orlando. Shorten that side and maximize your cruise. It's a better usage of 2 weeks. Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I disagree with those who say 6 day is not a good crowd. Even though it's a tad overblown, you are more likely to encounter the rowdy crowd enjoying a long 3-4 night weekend cruise. 6 is no different than 8.

I pretty much agree with that.  Same goes for a 5 nighter during the week.  In fact, we find those to be particularly appealing from a price point as they still require a full week's vacation from the 'not yet retired' crowd so are often less popular options.  String together two 5-nighters B2B and it's often a nice 10 day cruise. Sail Monday, return 10 days later on Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

No, I-Drive (That's what we call it, so can you) is across a major freeway (I-75) and it's a long street....Icon Park is a LONG walk. You'll need to Uber or Lyft.

IMO, don't eat on I drive, it's just junky chain restaurants...same as it ever was....and it's usually fried.

As at the desk, the pool guy, ask local staff "Where's a good place to eat" and tell them you'll have an Uber take you. We do have great restaurants, but they aren't chains and they aren't on I-drive. Don't rent a car, just Uber it. Driving in that area can be terrible....hectic, chaotic.

Can you imagine someone from England driving in the nightmare that is I-Drive in rush hour?

Definitely use Uber! I think your idea of 5 days at Universal(gives you time for pool day, shopping, etc) and an 8 day cruise is a great idea.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

Can you imagine someone from England driving in the nightmare that is I-Drive in rush hour?

Definitely use Uber! I think your idea of 5 days at Universal(gives you time for pool day, shopping, etc) and an 8 day cruise is a great idea.

Thank you.  We drove in Orlando at the summer, we were staying in a Villa in Windsor Palms, Kissimmee and I feel as though I spent most of my holiday stuck in traffic on the I4 and 192. 

Will definitely be looking at a Universal onsite stay next time using Uber/Lyft.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Ooops...you're right

I'm a florida native and I say freeway. What do you call it? Highway? Also, when on forums, I try to use language that's more easily understandable, the OP is from UK, so why confuse the linguistics?

You can drink in every Disney park, NOW, and it's just not as easy to access as in Universal.

Disney has always discouraged it and Disney was "dry" for many years. Walt was against it. Bad for the "Family atmosphere." Alcohol in all of Disney is relatively new.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-s4-theme-park-history-alcohol-20180907-story.html

But sure alcohol isn't the priority

Most of us just call it the interstate. You have been able to drink at all the parks except Magic Kingdom for years, just as long as you have able to drink at Universal. LONG time Disney passholder here.

My wife agrees with you (of course, *ROLLS EYES*)

We both agree in conversation we say "95" or "I75" and yes, "I4"...but never just "4"

I guess I picked up using highway in my travels. No worries. and yeah, I screwed up at start on which, (what are we calling it?) is by Universal, it's I4

I'm in Daytona, I-4 and I-95

Nevertheless, get an Uber, driving the I4 corridor and I-Drive sucks. Stay on your phone and don't look up. Keeps your blood pressure down.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:34 AM, EngIceDave said:

The rest is up to you, to you need 30 slides? Do you want an actual party cruise or a more sedate and calm cruise?

Sedate and calm do not seem to be words to describe the 17 ships that are larger than the Vista Class of Carnival that are in Royal's fleet.  

In both fleets sedate and calm are the 14+ day cruises that partiers and families stay away from.

• Haha 1

My husband and I have been on about a dozen cruises, 1/2 with Royal and 1/2 with Carnival.  We love them both.  Royal wins on dining room food and slightly better service.  We've taken my kids on only Carnival - mainly because of itineraries on the dates we're tied to and the casual food options.  5 days on the Paradise was enough because it was a smaller ship with less to do.  7 days on the Vista was great and we're looking forward to 7 days on the Vista.  The Family Harbor Lounge on the Vista was a huge hit when my boys were 7 & 10.  They'd get ready for dinner, we'd send them to the lounge, right next door, then my DH & I would get ready.  We had a Cove Balcony room that was plenty big & decorated very family friendly.  The only thing I didn't like was that I heard noise from above our room (I'm a very light sleeper though).   I also agree with the comments that Royal and Carnival have a lot of similar guests and it really depends on the length of the cruise.  The quietest cruise DH & I have ever been on was a 9 day Panama Canal Cruise on Carnival.  I'm sounding like a broken record here, but do the longer cruise, less time at Universal.  We went to Universal last year. (boys 14 & 11)  We bought tickets for 2 days, and got 3 days free.  2 days was enough to see everything.  We went back for a third 1/2 day, but then the kids had had enough.  Riding the same ride over & over just isn't as exciting.  Plus it will cost more & not be as easy as being on a cruise ship.  Good luck with whatever choice you decide!

Edited by bandjwayne
forgot detail
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Sedate and calm do not seem to be words to describe the 17 ships that are larger than the Vista Class of Carnival that are in Royal's fleet.  

In both fleets sedate and calm are the 14+ day cruises that partiers and families stay away from.

I imagine the 14+ day cruises are REEEEAAAL calm, lol.  But I really wouldn't say a 7 day on a Vista class (or larger) ship is that wild, really. 

Yes, occasionally a news-worthy story will pop out from one the 7+ cruises, but for the most part, they aren't much trouble.

I find the RCI crowd to be pretty low-key for the most part.   

Sure, as they say, Carnival likes to bring the fun, but there are lots of quite relaxing places if that's what you seek. 

5 days or less...totally different story lol.  

• Thanks 1

We met our dear friends that live in the UK on the Carnival Panorama. We all had a blast! including their kids! Teenagers I might add, and they didn't use the kids club but had a blast anyways! I have also done RC and Carnival as well as Princess. My husband and I are active in our 50's and we still choose Carnival over the other two!

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 3:45 PM, StephPS79 said:

I didn't read everything, but will also agree that 7 nights or longer would be the better "1st Carnival Experience."  Different crowd, different vibe.

Ditto, ditto (didn't read all agree on 7+ days)

I think Carnival is a great way to dip your toe into cruising if you do a 7 day Carnival and hate it, don't give up until you try say 2 other lines. Different strokes for different folks. I would say there's a 2 x 2 rule try 2 more different itineraries on Carnival and try 2 other lines as well before deciding no more cruises. Every cruise experience is different. I've sailed 3 lines and at least 2x per each line I liked all 3 lines but not every time, there's been pros and cons to every cruise I've had.

Edited by oyme
  • Like 1