Early May Alaska tips?

mikahbeth

Hello all! My fiancé and I just booked an 11-day Alaska cruise in May on the Sapphire Princess for our honeymoon. We are so excited.

I've done a lot of research and I realize that a lot of people don't recommend going to Alaska in the spring, but this is the only time that would work with our schedules. It's already booked, so if possible, I would prefer to hear some tips on how to make this the best experience possible and NOT why we shouldn't go then. 😀 

For those that have been to Alaska earlier in the season - do you have any recommendations? (Besides bundling up to stay warm!) 

I'd love any recommendations you have for excursions, etc, during this time specifically. I love animals but I hear it's too early for a lot of the wildlife. We were considering doing a whale watching excursion in Icy Straight Point, but is May too early to see whales? 

Itinerary:

Vancouver
*Hubbard Glacier
Icy Straight Point
Juneau

Skagway
*Glacier Bay
Sitka
Ketchikan

@Crew News, tagging you here because you helped us make this decision and I'd love your insight.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mikahbeth
  • Like 1

• mikahbeth changed the title to Early May Alaska tips?

Mid to late May is our favorite time to cruise Alaska.

ISP....Zipline

Juneau...try Gold Rush Dog Tours or book with cruiseline Puppy Musher's Camp...prices.

Skagway....Chilkoot private tours lot's of options. We did the bus up train down White pass RR.

Sitka...Tour vendor at port...Raptor Center & Fortress of the Bear

Ketchikan...Absolutely book Bearing Sea Fisherman's Tour. Check prices using your ship or book directly on their website... This is not to be missed !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, mikahbeth said:

Hello all! My fiancé and I just booked an 11-day Alaska cruise on the Sapphire Princess for our honeymoon. We are so excited.

I've done a lot of research and I realize that a lot of people don't recommend going to Alaska in the spring, but this is the only time that would work with our schedules. It's already booked, so if possible, I would prefer to hear some tips on how to make this the best experience possible and NOT why we shouldn't go then. 😀 

For those that have been to Alaska earlier in the season - do you have any recommendations? (Besides bundling up to stay warm!) 

I'd love any recommendations you have for excursions, etc, during this time specifically. I love animals but I hear it's too early for a lot of the wildlife. We were considering doing a whale watching excursion in Icy Straight Point, but is May too early to see whales? 

Itinerary:

Vancouver
*Hubbard Glacier
Icy Straight Point
Juneau

Skagway
*Glacier Bay
Sitka
Ketchikan

@Crew News, tagging you here because you helped us make this decision and I'd love your insight.

Thanks in advance!

Contrary to what you have heard, May is a great time for wildlife with the exception of bears who wait for salmon season in July to make public appearances.  Lots of baby eagles, whales, deer, sea lions, harbor seals, etc are experiencing life and not as sedate as their parents.

As a hobby photographer and many-time visitor to Alaska with Holland America, the following are what i would do if my first and only visit to Alaska:

Vancouver:  Arrive the day before the cruise.  I prefer the more expensive Pan Pacific Hotel because the cruise terminal is just an elevator ride down from your room.  There is an underground mall across the street with great food opportunities and reasonable prices.

*Hubbard Glacier - Find a good spot onboard and enjoy the scenery.

Icy Straight Point - Best whale watching in Alaska with lots of bubble feeding.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/humpback-whales/P6040860.jpg

Juneau -  Helicopter ride and walk on Mendenhall Glacier.  Glacier Smoothie Soap Shop for some Juneau Gold striated soap.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070067.jpg

Skagway - Dog sledding in the mountain snow.  Train ride to Lake Bennett (includes lunch) or bus/train to Caribou Crossing.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/skagway-dogsledding/P5120105-1.jpg

*Glacier Bay - Find a good spot on deck to take in the amazing scenery.

Sitka - Otters, raptors, and bears excursion.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/otters/P5298798-2.jpg

Ketchikan - Crab Fishing on the Aleutian Ballad to photograph lots of eagles swooping down to catch fish.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5236164-2.jpg

Here is a link to my photos of Alaska cities:  Alaska Locations

Use the link in the lower right corner of my signature and used the Nature tab to see some of the wildlife that Alaska has to offer.  There is also a Contact Form if you wish to email me with specific questions.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats! What a fabulous honeymoon destination!

Binoculars and sunglasses will be your best friend! Under Armour Northface Fleece! Lots of layers and always pack a knit hat that cover your ears but honestly you may not even need them. I've been multiple times and in early June my DH got sunburned. For Real! 

Juneau I did a glacier hike years ago and it was fabulous. Mendenhall w/hike to the falls. 

ISP I loved the zip line although overpriced but I'm a sucker and will be doing it again. Just a ton of fun. 

Skagway the scenery from the train is spectacular no matter when you go. Jet boat was much more informative then I expected, really a great tour. Could also rent a car and go to the Yukon on your own. 

Hubbard and GB just relax with blankets/ hot cocoa and take it all in. 

Ketchikan Misty Fiords is gorgeous, float plane w/landing. OR Adventure Karts can be super fun. Too early for bears as already mentioned. 

Vancouver is a fab city! Take out bikes or walk the Seawall. Also many hikes and you can watch the seaplanes come in. 

Enjoy your special adventure, no matter when you go, Alaska will be sure to WOW you!

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Ashland - Thank you so much! Excited to look into your excursion recommendations. I've heard great things about ISP's zipline; that's definitely going on the list! 

@cw2go - Your enthusiasm here is contagious!! Thank you for your excitement, Patty! A glacier hike in Juneau sounds AMAZING. I also appreciate the clothing recommendations 🙂 and I will definitely make sure to bring binoculars!

@Crew News - Just...wow. Those pictures are stunning. You're making me want to upgrade my camera. If I saw otters and baby eagles I would be the happiest girl in the world so I'll definitely look into the Sitka Otters, raptors, and bears excursion. Thanks again for all of your help. 

• Like 2

Many people take nicer cameras but to give you a perspective, this is my shots of Hubbard Glacier on a Princess cruise with an iPhone 8 📱

I've upgraded a few times since this trip. LOL! 

Prepare to be amazed! 

Enjoy your planning and remember you'll never get it all in one trip, not possible. 

Patty

20729397_1547790481909051_4840798622922307698_n.jpeg.4880fa320f3c5ad1a5437452a09cd5de.jpeg

20840837_1547790391909060_5979307098978422821_n.jpeg.5c459e805d21e753ce05080995cee303.jpeg

• Like 1

May is great for Alaska!!!  If you have time I really recommend that you walk into town in Icy Straight.   It is a paved walkway along the water and May is perfect whale watching right from the path. We saw bubble feeding while walking along and the Shuttle bus passed us so they did not get to see it. It is not very built up like other towns so it is more peaceful. Have a fabulous time.

In Juneau I love the tour to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound. I have done 6-7 times and hope to repeat again in May 2023. While focused on Glacier viewing I have seen both whales and bears on the tour. Capt Steve will stop if sighted. Excellent tour to get up close and personal with the glacier and shoreline.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DougH said:

In Juneau I love the tour to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound. I have done 6-7 times and hope to repeat again in May 2023. While focused on Glacier viewing I have seen both whales and bears on the tour. Capt Steve will stop if sighted. Excellent tour to get up close and personal with the glacier and shoreline.

Did you purchase on your own or via the cruise line?

6 hours ago, Tgianco said:

Did you purchase on your own or via the cruise line?

Call them direct. Winona runs the office and Capt Steve runs the boat. Great people After the penguins in the Falkland Island this is my favorite tour anywhere. It is a long day but I feel great value for your $$$. Steve is the expert on Tracy Arm

• Like 1