Crewsweeper or C-leg5 answer a restaurant question for me.

tallyho8

I have been to Costa Maya many times and often went to all of Fernando's places, Crazy Lobster, Tropicante, Blue Kay and a couple of places I can't remember the names of. I thoroughly enjoyed most of them but my sense of adventure begs me to try others on the Melacon that I have not tried yet. We are a retired couple who like to sit in a chair in the shade on the beach, that has wifi, have a few drinks and a few snacks, trying out different local food items that we don't get at home, and not be completely ripped off.

No loud music though we don't mind a few peddlers coming around now and then. We have a couple of upcoming cruises booked going there and would like to hear some of your recommendations. 

• Like 1

@tallyho8  You might want to venture south of Nohoch Kay and try Malecon 21 or Sulumar.  Or venture "off the reservation" and hit Macho's, just past the end of the malecon. Yaya's and Pez Quadro are nice spots but may be a bit on the loud side.  When we were there last winter, a number of spots had closed down.  

We usually stop at Jaime's Blue Reef as we've known him since his old Playa days, but it's an AI. Missing the old 100% Agave and the small place Fernado had on the malecon, that was open  during the day for a brief time.  Also missing yakking with Steve at Tropicante, but think Carolina and Jorge are running the place in good order.

I think @c-leg5has been there more recently and can provide an update.

@tallyho8 Sounds like you looking for the same type of day as us!

Unfortunately I am afraid I am not much help with regards to Costa Maya. Our local ships took a long break from stops at Costa May and only resumed in the last 5 years and 2 of those included Covid stoppages. I always considered Crew was more knowledgeable on Costa Maya as he seemed to have local contacts and diving buddies! But it is true I have been several times in the last year!

Pre-Covid we had begun to enjoy Malecon21 very much (which was a new club, at the time) and were looking forward to return on visits earlier this year. Unfortunately service and attitude were very lacking early in the year. Whilst I would be willing to give them a second chance we haven’t done so yet and have been looking for alternatives. They have a minimum consumption fee ($30?), credited to food and drink, to include lounger.

We have been several times this year to Costa Maya and have 4 more visits coming up. Whilst we have been “looking” we haven’t really found “the place” and have “settled” for Krazy Lobster for short stops and to Maya Chan once. We don’t generally do AI, while cruising, but find unfortunately that this is the  “model” that many bars both on the malecon,and beyond, have adopted. We have walked the length of the malecon and have not been over impressed with Mahahual since cruising resumed. Many places have closed or been taken over by Krazy Lobster. Tropicante was closed when we were there one Sunday, or we would have given that another try with new management.

I intended to book YaYa for our next visit but they changed their policy on me. When I was going to book, instead of minimum consumption charge of $25pp credited towards food and drink which they quoted me in February, it is now $25pp for A LOUNGER.  Nowhere on the malecon warrants $50 just for two loungers in my opinion. I am perfectly willing to pay for consumption proportional to my length of visit but that is just price gouging.

Many people, including Crew, seem to enjoy Jaimie’s but we weren’t impressed with appearance as we passed by and again since it is mainly AI (with some exceptions) we haven’t tried it.

I would say we seem to prefer the southern end of the malecon (quieter)and have tried Sulumar and Hotel Luna previously. I have been looking to try Machos, as also suggested by Crew and perhaps, Chunky Monkey. I am also quite interested to try Hotel Maya Luna but that is further off the malecon, but therefore no vendors.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful. We are in a state of flux ourselves. The taxi pricing situation and general policies of beach clubs in Costa Maya, since cruising resumed, has us somewhat disappointed presently to the point where we are seriously considering staying in port for our next visit, or walking to the nearby hotel  Khan Ahau to try restaurant Catrina and pool as suggested by others. This is something we would never have done previously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for your responses. It seems that the more cruise ships that go to Costa Maya, the more it drives up the price of real estate there, knocking the little guy out of business and only allowing the big ones to remain. 

I think if Tropicante is open when we go there next time we will try it out with the new owners since we really don't want to go to an AI and it seems like there is really no "special place" to try at this time.

I just wish I could find another back roads 100% Agave type place again where the main clientele is local and without the touristy prices. At least I can still go to Fernando's store and get a good bottle of tequila at a good price. 

18 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

Thank you both for your responses. It seems that the more cruise ships that go to Costa Maya, the more it drives up the price of real estate there, knocking the little guy out of business and only allowing the big ones to remain. 

I think if Tropicante is open when we go there next time we will try it out with the new owners since we really don't want to go to an AI and it seems like there is really no "special place" to try at this time.

I just wish I could find another back roads 100% Agave type place again where the main clientele is local and without the touristy prices. At least I can still go to Fernando's store and get a good bottle of tequila at a good price. 

+1