Why are there no No-Smoking cabins?

LoraJ

Every single hotel I have been to in the last 10 years has had non-smoking rooms. How come cruise ships don't provide the same?

Sure, the cabins may be cleaned enough that you can't smell anything, but what about sitting on the balcony and the next door neighbor smoking?

I will be booking a cabin on a charter of the Legend. I have heard that there is one side of the ship on public decks that is non-smoking, which side is that?

The only cruise ships I know of that have total non-smoking cabins is on the 2 Disney ships. You would think others would follow suit since it does seem to be the norm on land. It would be no problem to designate at least 50% or one side of the ship's staterooms non-smoking especially as they build news once. I bet the non-smoking rooms book out early leaving the smoking rooms for late bookers.

The reason I figure Carnival and others are not doing it is their cheif officers are smokers and could care less about the majority of their customers being non-smokers. Maybe the Paridise didn't work because it was all non-smoking vs only half the ship. Since the major public areas (DR and main showroom and some lounges) are now non-smoking making a few rooms that way is really be a no brainer. It's what the majority wants. Hopefully in my lifetime I will see change in that area.

I expect this thread will be very long before long...

Maybe its because the Paradise failed because smokers are usually drinkers and gamblers where Carnival makes most of their money. And if it ain't green it don't float!

What if the only type of cabin you wanted was a smoking cabin?

I am a smoker and the rudest person I have ever met was in So.Cal. I was in the only designated smoking area outside of a hotel and was berated by a non-smoker. I was following the rules, she was not. I blessed her out in a way that would mortify my Mother.

I am happy to accommodate those who do not smoke (I have one room in my home w/a smoke filter and smoke there but not if it bothers guests in my home or the cable guy.) I will treat those w/balconies w/the same respect IF they are respectful of me. I book aft cabins for the smoking issue, in part.

ASK nicely, if they are rude remember one thing, smoker or not, they would still be an a$$. You can't make someone be courteous, someone has to teach them or be an example.

It's kind of like the pro life/pro choice thing, it's very polarizing. Nobody wins but they will try to make you believe in their side. If your neighbor smokes and you don't, ask them if they will alter times on the balcony. I can tell you about our neighbor, cigar guy, if you like. :eek:

It does not have to be this battle, non-smokers have most public space these days.

Nicely done!

You brought up pro life/pro choice!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you wearing ARMOR????

This should entertain me for the next couple of days till I board The Legend

(Personnaly, I tip the cable guy to deal w/it!)

Nicely done!

Yeah!:D These are the two most polarizing issues I hear about. I don't wear armor, don't you know about peanut butter cups? WE wear chocolate.

Nicely done!

(Personnaly, I tip the cable guy to deal w/it!)

Will you please keep your Capers? Would love to know what the current ones are. Our cruise can't get here soon enough.

The right side of the ship is smoking if i remember correctly but the balaony cabins no matter where they are located are smoking, i have cruised Carnival many times but yet i just found out right know that they have smoking rooms? I am a smoker and the only place i have ever smoked on the ship is the cigar bar, I believe this is my bad habit and others should not be bothered by it. Even if i was in a smoking room, i would not smoke in it because that is my home for 7 days and i do not smoke in my home. Most smokers are the same as me and do not want to bother non smokers but please do no come in the cigar bar and start the fake coughing bit "hence the name"

Everyone on planet earth seems to think smokers (GAWD FORBID!) are the most rude souls on earth and sea. Ironically, I find non-smokers to fit that mold the most. I even carry smokeless ashtrays w/me on the cruise so I am able to extinguish a smoke without the chance of it blowing away. etc. etc. etc. and as you say, non-smokers have 80% of the ship anyway.

OK, poolgal, Vodka straight up w/a lemon on the side. What are smokeless ashtrays? I'm living in the land of tabacco, you can even smoke IN our restaurants. I've never heard of such a thing. Where can they be found?

No problem mon!

We board 3/17/06 and will take a pic of each caper and post on webshots upon our return. My word!

go to :

http://community.webshots.com/user/poolgalspics

when I get back 3/25/06 or a day or 2 later....

What is your sailing date?

4/2/06, Please, please have a drink on sail away and wish DH and I a happy anniversary. It will be 6 years this St. Patty's Day. Married in Savannah, GA at 9AM:eek:, hangover and all.

My husband thinks their called snuffers, (Their not)

let me know if this link works:

http://www.rachelle-associates.com/bobken/

The name on them is Bobken

I keep one in the room and one on the balcony. I can't imagine anything worse or more unsafe then a flying cig. I buy them at my smoke store.

I keep them in my garage because I don't smoke in the house. I even take them to the pool w/me (don't tell the op) :)

... or just book an outside view cabin. Then you won't have smoke.

Not so sure about that. On some cruises we've gotten quite a bit of smoke at night, apparently from neighbors.

I was okay with it, but my sister with asthma would have been in trouble.

Than you sister with asthma would have been in trouble even in a ocean view cabin if there were smokers before her. .The smoke is still in the cabin, on eveything, it's just masked by whatever they clean with. Just because you don't smell it doesn't mean it's not there.

What if the only type of cabin you wanted was a smoking cabin?

I am a smoker and the rudest person I have ever met was in So.Cal. I was in the only designated smoking area outside of a hotel and was berated by a non-smoker. I was following the rules, she was not. I blessed her out in a way that would mortify my Mother.

I am happy to accommodate those who do not smoke (I have one room in my home w/a smoke filter and smoke there but not if it bothers guests in my home or the cable guy.) I will treat those w/balconies w/the same respect IF they are respectful of me. I book aft cabins for the smoking issue, in part.

ASK nicely, if they are rude remember one thing, smoker or not, they would still be an a$$. You can't make someone be courteous, someone has to teach them or be an example.

It's kind of like the pro life/pro choice thing, it's very polarizing. Nobody wins but they will try to make you believe in their side. If your neighbor smokes and you don't, ask them if they will alter times on the balcony. I can tell you about our neighbor, cigar guy, if you like. :eek:

It does not have to be this battle, non-smokers have most public space these days.

Yours is one of the best posts I've ever read that was written by a smoker on this issue...respectful, well thought-out with good points. I understand your arguement that there are designated areas where you should be able to smoke. And non-smokers don't have the "right" to come down on you for that.

But smoke is offensive is to many people, myself included. I hope the cruise lines will wake up and make some staterooms non-smoking. It will be difficult to enforce and even more difficult to manage bookings. But if we could start with the port-side non-smoking (or something like that), people who are sensitive to smoke could have a better chance at avoiding it.

I just got back from a RCCl cruise where the smokers next door forced me to change cabins as the smoke just drifted into our cabin and they smoked 24/7 and not in their cabin but on the balcony...when confronting them they just smoked more and were extremely inconsiderate. The good news is that RCCL upgraded me from a balcony and an inside cabin to a suite...the cruise lines mangt on board want to enforce the no smoking rules and get some more enforced...they need to hear from the passengers

Yours is one of the best posts I've ever read that was written by a smoker on this issue...respectful, well thought-out with good points. I understand your arguement that there are designated areas where you should be able to smoke. And non-smokers don't have the "right" to come down on you for that.

But smoke is offensive is to many people, myself included. I hope the cruise lines will wake up and make some staterooms non-smoking. It will be difficult to enforce and even more difficult to manage bookings. But if we could start with the port-side non-smoking (or something like that), people who are sensitive to smoke could have a better chance at avoiding it.

I agree. Non-smokers have no right to come down on smokers in their designated areas.

The cruise I am going on is chartered and we have our own message board. There has been a lot of concern raised that there are no non-smoking cabins. There are some people with asthma worried about it.

It's not a battle, I just don't understand why there can't be designated areas of the ship where cabins can be non-smoking.

Well, I have a few friends who where crew on the Paradise when she was a non smoking ship (waiters, bar tenders etc) and they told me that they would never work on that ship again because they never made any money on the ship. Mostly because most of the people who sailed on her, where Health nuts..... they did not drink, the clubs where empty most of the time, and when they did use the wait staff of bartenders it was for soda or water. My friends told me they they made very little money, which is a big deal for them because thats how they make there money. just like at a regular bar or night club. I know Carnival had a hard time finding crew to work on the ship for that reason.

Capt Bill <<<< Former considerate smoker now considerate non smoker

Archived