How to make a specialty dining reservation for more than 8 people?

I searched this forum, but couldn't find an answer easily... How do you make a specialty dining reservation for a group of more than 8 people?

I have 15 people in my group. The website will only let me make a reservation for 8 people. I figured I would just make two separate reservations (one with 8 and one with 7), but once I make the first reservation, that dining time isn't available anymore. I've tried this on different days and times,, so it seems like the restaurant (Giovanni's on the Oasis) is either only allowing one large group at a time, or the dining is already close to full.

I've attempted to call Royal to ask this question, but I've been on hold for an hour so far... I'm hoping it's faster to ask the community here. 😄

30 minutes ago, geneparmesan said:

I searched this forum, but couldn't find an answer easily... How do you make a specialty dining reservation for a group of more than 8 people?

I have 15 people in my group. The website will only let me make a reservation for 8 people. I figured I would just make two separate reservations (one with 8 and one with 7), but once I make the first reservation, that dining time isn't available anymore. I've tried this on different days and times,, so it seems like the restaurant (Giovanni's on the Oasis) is either only allowing one large group at a time, or the dining is already close to full.

I've attempted to call Royal to ask this question, but I've been on hold for an hour so far... I'm hoping it's faster to ask the community here. 😄

Yes, waiting time is long these days.  Thank God for speaker phones.  I would suggest go to restaurant as soon as you board, but the times may not be available.

Try sending an e-mail to RCLdining@rccl.com.  I use this e-mail for special requests when it comes to the MDR, however, you should try for your request.  They are usually pretty prompt in responding.

• Like 1

I did it by calling but that was pre-covid and the hold times are brutal right now. Have you tried booking a table for 8 and then have someone else in your party do the same but under their name. I know you tried it twice but sometimes the system stops you from making multiple bookings at the same restaurant.

Just now, CaptainBazz said:

I did it by calling but that was pre-covid and the hold times are brutal right now. Have you tried booking a table for 8 and then have someone else in your party do the same but under their name. I know you tried it twice but sometimes the system stops you from making multiple bookings at the same restaurant.

I tried having my brother-in-law make the second reservation, but as soon as I had the first reservation in my cart, that time disappeared for him. I might just wait out the hold time or send an email as suggested above.

1 hour ago, sprint180 said:

Please let us know when you find out.  I also have a large group to book for so I am interested in the answer

I finally made it through the calling system. The representative went through the same steps as I did, and came to the same conclusion (the max booking is 8, and the restaurant only accepts one group of that size). I know I've read reviews on here where groups larger than 8 go to Giovanni's - maybe they always make the reservation while on the ship.

I think what I'll do is try to make a 8-person, 4-person, and 3-person reservation. I'll email RCLdining@rccl.com to see if the tables can be combined, and then speak to the restaurant when I board (whether or not I get an email reply). I'm not sure what other options I have besides waiting until we board.

I cruise a lot with groups of 8 - 20+, we always have just made the reservations as soon as we board and you have to be prepared to split tables as most will only do a table of 10 at the most. Also with big groups they want you to either dine in the 5pm or 9pm hour. 

• Like 2

Once, I was offered a time before the restaurant was advertised as open for a group that was over the capacity of the largest table in the specialty venue by a very accommodating restaurant manager on Harmony.  More, recently, my group was split over 2 tables due to capacity of the largest tables at the venue on Voyager.  In both cases, the arrangements were made on board.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1